1.75 (1 Viewer)

geoff18

HSC
hi guys im just wonderin whatz the chance of getting into a 90 course if ur 1.75 below cut off should i try it as my first preference or fuck that?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Just try to leave it as your first preference and see what happens - cut off change every year and it's hard to predict. You have nothing to lose.

If you change it you have 0 chance of getting in.

Good luck!

elfm

HSC
i'd say the chances are pretty good... especially if u do well in certain subjects that relate to the course

geoff18

HSC
well if i know i defintiely dont get it, i rather use my first preference on something else i guess

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
why? lol. that's the point of preferences... if you don't get one... you get the next......

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
geoff18 said:
well if i know i defintiely dont get it, i rather use my first preference on something else i guess
You will get the first preference your UAI is enough to get into, unless they've changed the system since 2004.

If your UAI is 88.25 preferences look like this:
Preference 1: 90 UAI
Preference 2: 88 UAI

And someone else with a UAI of 88.0 has preferences that look like this:
Preference 1: 88 UAI
Preference 2: 87 UAI

You're not going to miss out on your second preference purely because someone else had it has the 88 UAI course first and you had it second (I hope I've articulated that right, but someone correct me if I'm wrong [if it's 3unitz, don't bother]; I'm a little rough around the edge on this as I did my HSC 3 years ago). You wil get into the first course that your UAI will be able to get you into. You will not be "wasting" your first preference on aiming for something that's a little beyond your UAI. I was 1.5 points off my course in 2004 and still got in. Because the cut-offs are not fixed, you do stand a real cahcne of getting in. Demand for that course may be down this year, hence the UAI will be lower, and since you're a measly 1.75 off, you're by no means throwing a preference away. If you were five points off the UAI for a Sydney uni course and the cut-offs had been rising with each passing year, then you'd be wasting a preference.

geoff18

HSC
i c thank you but looks like bachelor of economics is always in high demand >.<

geoff18

HSC
but this yr's hsc plus is really pissing me off, there's like tons of ppl getting plus 5 uai, and my hope is fading away

HSC
the +5 uai ppl (EAS ur talkign about?) have their own reserved 5% allocation in all courses anyway

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Another good reason to come to UNE ... as if the fact that we get more one-on-one time with lecturers, tutors and faculty staff than UNSW wasn't enough ...

sunny

meh.
HSC
Are they both bookmarked in a folder called "UNSW slander"? :p

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Musk said:
Nah i just find the bad news from unsw very funny especially the one where people were playing with dead body parts. =/ who does that?
Why is ignoring the UAI "bad"? I think anything to undermine the UAI system is very much a good thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)