10 or 12 Units for HSC (1 Viewer)

zanny131

HSC
Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could have opinions on wether or not i should drop to 10 units for HSC 2015.

My Current Subjects are:

English (Advanced)
Mathematics (General)
Drama (MAJOR)
Music (1) (MAJOR)
Multimedia (MAJOR)
Studies of Religion (2)

My main concern is that I am currently studying 3 subjects which involve major works. I've had the consideration of dropping multimedia (as it is my weakest of the three), but have recently considered dropping mathematics and going ahead with 3 majors.

For a little insight, I am pursuing a career in Acting. Therefore mathematics is not a great influence in my career, as opposed to other career paths.

I feel I will not be able to tackle 12 units with 3 majors, and cannot decide between dropping multimedia & maths.

* I am a high achiever in Music & Drama, having multitudes of out-of-school experience, so theres less stress in terms of preparation and performance, which i guess settles 3 majors to 1 difficult and 2 easily manageable. I average at about 75% in maths currently, but am working on improving marks.

I would appreciate advice & opinions based on own experience :)

Sincerely,

A

astroman

HSC
don't drop to 10, keep 2 units as a safety net incase u stuff up one subject.

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
don't drop to 10, keep 2 units as a safety net incase u stuff up one subject.
Is that "safety net" worth it? You're going to be spending a whole year on assignments, homework, study, etc, etc on a subject that will "not count"

It really doesn't matter what you do in the HSC. If you're better at Maths than Multimedia, then drop it.
Precisely

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
And also multimedia has a major work so I'd drop that especially if its worse then your mathematics marks...

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
Why do a subject that might not even count where you have more hours to boost your other marks. I think 11 is safe already. Also the idea about crashing out a subject, well if you're on 10 units, i'm pretty sure you would try harder not to crash out since everything would count anyway.

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Drop multimedia. The concept of a safety net is kind of stupid at times because if you're really good at 10 units, leaving 2 crappy units, why would you waste time on doing those 2 units?

Also 3 majors gg

zanny131

HSC
Thank you all for your opinions! I'm leaning towards dropping Multimedia as it will chew up more out of school time then studying mathematics

plus i can hire a tutor for maths =)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you all for your opinions! I'm leaning towards dropping Multimedia as it will chew up more out of school time then studying mathematics

plus i can hire a tutor for maths =)
One small point-you need to be prepared to put in the hard yards for maths, just to warn you to avoid having the mentality that a tutor will fix everything, you must put in the hard work first and foremost to get the result you want:) Good luck with maths:)

I would also suggest you to drop Multimedia-some sort of mathematical skills comes incredibly helpful in everyday life, just because you intend to pursue an acting career, you may never know whether you will have a change of mind in the future, and having a strong maths foundation in high school will give you the option to have more choices. Best wishes for you to achieve your aspirations:)

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
One small point-you need to be prepared to put in the hard yards for maths, just to warn you to avoid having the mentality that a tutor will fix everything, you must put in the hard work first and foremost to get the result you want:) Good luck with maths:)

I would also suggest you to drop Multimedia-some sort of mathematical skills comes incredibly helpful in everyday life, just because you intend to pursue an acting career, you may never know whether you will have a change of mind in the future, and having a strong maths foundation in high school will give you the option to have more choices. Best wishes for you to achieve your aspirations:)
This. I've had some students think that "ahh I have a tutor now, I must get 99 atar and x, y achievements" where this is never the case. In fact one of my students went backwards with this mindset.

studded

HSC
I've heard a lot about those "safety nets" from teachers and other advisors. Is it objectively beneficial or useful, or is the notion of keeping 12 units only enforced by schools to better their image and class/exam performance?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I've heard a lot about those "safety nets" from teachers and other advisors. Is it objectively beneficial or useful, or is the notion of keeping 12 units only enforced by schools to better their image and class/exam performance?
IMO, not useful at all (11 may be useful, but not 12)

studded

HSC
IMO, not useful at all (11 may be useful, but not 12)
That's the conclusion I've drawn as well. If you focus on less subjects, you will generally have a better chance of understanding the content and achieving good marks. Then again, if an additional course is integral or an extension of another, it could be useful in its own way.

My advice to the original poster; think about your own learning and studying habits and consider your current units. It's a personal decision to make.

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
its a personal decision for everyone
I dropped to 10 point blank didn't even have to reconsider
I did that so confidently because even if i would screw up a subject (i did), I'd still be better off than the "safety" subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)