• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

10 or 12 Units for Year 12 (Poll) (1 Viewer)

How many Units will you take for your HSC?

Votes: 46 25.7%

Votes: 51 28.5%

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • 12+

Votes: 20 11.2%

• Total voters

H4rdc0r3

HSC
Well most people do either 10 or 12 units for HSC so which is better to do and give me reasons.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I'm doing 11. 10 Unit is the minimum, so although it may give you more time to concentrate on less subjects, because the UAI is calculated out of your best 10 units, it's kind of risky. 12 Units gives you a kind of security to fall back on.

jellybelly59

HSC
not sure if ill drop any subjects right now >.<" so it might be 10 or 11 or 12 units that ill do in yr 12. Definitely not taking up any units. I wanna make sure i have some "padding" just in case i screw up big time for something

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Well, I will be undertaking more than 12 units as I feel that there is a security side of doing more than 12 units.

However, that is not the main reason why I wish to undertake more than 12 units. It is because the Board of Studies makes it compulsory for Distinction Course students to have 10 units or more apart from the Distinction Course itself. So if I choose to do Cosmology, I will end up with at least 12 units. Since I am doing SOR I, I will have 13 units in that case.

If I somehow decide to continue Chemistry, in that case, I will have 15 units. But there is no way that I will be able to cope with 15 Units. So I am going for 13 Units at the moment but this might change depending on the circumstances.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I am planning on doing 11 units by dropping economics(yuck) and picking up Extension 2 Mathematics.

btw the opputunity cost of doing >10 units is the extra focus you can put on your 10 units and of course free periods.

jockrussell

HSC
yea im doing 14 but im pretty sure im going to drop DAT
I think 12 units will be better than 10 for the main reason that you have someting to drop back on incase something goes wrong

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
kaz1 said:
I am planning on doing 11 units by dropping economics(yuck) and picking up Extension 2 Mathematics.

btw the opputunity cost of doing >10 units is the extra focus you can put on your 10 units and of course free periods.
Doing exactly the same thing :) Eco just takes too much time...

And Namu... holy shit the first video in your signature is disturbing.

fayeee

HSC
I dunno whether to drop Chemistry or not..

I'm really only keeping it cause I want to do Medicine... but it's one of the subjects I dread going to..

And i'm scared because Foodtech scales so bad....

So if i keep it that's 13 units and if i drop it that's 11 :S

bleh

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Continuum said:
Doing exactly the same thing :) Eco just takes too much time...

And Namu... holy shit the first video in your signature is disturbing.
I like the 2nd one better. The knee-high socks on the boy's school uniform however is questionable ...

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
I like the 2nd one better. The knee-high socks on the boy's school uniform however is questionable ...
Every Private School is like that.

12o9

HSC
Aplus said:
ROFL. Guys at my school wear them too xD. But then my school is trying to become private =/.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Aplus said:
lol.

Not my school though. Even if you do you can't notice it since shorts aren't allowed.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
12o9 said:
ROFL. Guys at my school wear them too xD. But then my school is trying to become private =/.
Girls at my school wear black knee-highs with their skirts and dresses. The teachers TRIED to tell us off for it, but they gave up after people kept on wearing it :D

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Oh wait, yeah that one lol. Didn't see there was another one before it. :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
ewww! Knee-highs on guys look weird!
I guess you should need to see me on that. And I thought all Private High Schools are like that. (e.g. Barker, St. Aloysius, St. Pius, Riverview, Marist and etc.)

I don't know what you mean by first video, Coninuum. Is it the school song or Year 11 (2007)? I find the school song disturbing. And the Year 11 (2007) could have been disturbing, I admit because I wasn't in there. lol

I reckon the videos are bloody awesome. LOL at some though.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
What's wrong with knee-high socks?
*cough* Simon [OP] wears knee-high socks *cough* :p

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Come to think of it, aren't knee high socks for Private Schools 'Junior' boys? High Schoolers way trousers anyway...

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Off topic? lol :). I'm still undecided if should be safe by picking 12 units or using free periods effectively with 10 units. I'll most likely be doing 12 units, just to be safe.

Combinations:

1. Adv. English​
2. 4U Maths
3. Chemistry
4. Physics
5. Biology

The above subjects scale quite well, and I'd be better off not doing a humanities such as Economics because the HSC marker might not like my essay response, hence receiving both a dissapointing assessment and exam mark. If I master the sciences, there is really no 'right or wrong' answer :D.

1. Adv. English
2. 4U Maths
3. Chemistry
4. Biology
5. Economics

The reason why Physics isn't on my list because I don't really enjoy it. I enjoy Economics a lot as it's easily understandable and my teacher is really good. I managed to receive an excellence award for Economics and other subjects, but not for Physics, because of my poor half yearly result. I'll see how I go with all my subject marks and rankings for the final exams, and that'll most likely determine my subject selections for the HSC. Best to put the effort now and see where my weaknesses lie.

I'm probably being critical with my subject chocies, but as you can see I'm REALLY looking forward for Year 12 :D.

Edit: Between both combinations, which is the better scaled?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)