10 or 12 Units??? (1 Viewer)

panicatthehsc

HSC
I know so many people post about this, but I'm completely stuck with what to do.

Currently my subjects are -

General Mathematics (2)
Advanced English (2)
French Continuers (2)
Modern History (2)
Visual Art (2)
Visual Design (1)
Studies of Religion 1 (1)

Total - 12 Units

For the HSC I plan of picking up an extension, but I don't know whether I should drop maths or not. I'm actually just moving down from mathematics so general is super super easy for me, but I don't know whether I should waste my time doing it just to have it as a back-up subject or whether I should keep it there to be safe.

HSC

French Continuers (2)
French Extension (1)
Advanced English (2)
Modern History (2)
Visual Arts (2)
Studies of Religion I (1)
-maybe- General Mathematics (2)

Tips anyone?

astroman

HSC
it would be better to do 10 units as you would have more time to focus on those units as opposed to 12 units, with additional 2 units as a safety net. Unless you are certain that you can perform good in 10 units, i would advise going with the safer option of 12 units, but its a personal choice.

10 units for less study and more focus dedicated to individual subjects.
12 units for bit more study but with advantage of safety net incase of failing.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Do you think maths will count? If you don't think it will, just stay on 10. I wouldn't bother putting in effort into a subject I was intending on dropping.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Is there a particular reason why you moved down from maths to general maths? However, if you are thinking of doing anything in these two fields (science and maths) in your future career, then I would strongly advise you to stay in 2 unit maths if you can. I would actually advise you to have 12 units, because visual arts is a subject that is very variable, that means it may be hard to predict your own marks since there is a significant degree of subjectivity in some of the marking process. If maths is not too time consuming, I would suggest you keep it.

panicatthehsc

HSC
I moved down in maths simply because it was too time consuming. I had a month away from school for health reasons in term 1 and therefore became very far behind and didn't have the motivation to catch up. I don't enjoy maths very much, but I'm generally good at it. I could do the higher maths course but I wouldn't enjoy it and therefore it wouldn't be worth it.

I want to go into psychology (arts degree) at Maquarie Uni.

dsouzamatt

HSC
I moved down in maths simply because it was too time consuming. I had a month away from school for health reasons in term 1 and therefore became very far behind and didn't have the motivation to catch up. I don't enjoy maths very much, but I'm generally good at it. I could do the higher maths course but I wouldn't enjoy it and therefore it wouldn't be worth it.

I want to go into psychology (arts degree) at Maquarie Uni.
Is this the course? The only recommended subject for it is Mathematics.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd stick with 12 units for the first term and a bit, you can always drop but you can't always repick up the subject...

panicatthehsc

HSC
Yes, that's it. I know it sounds stupid dropping the only course that I really should be doing, but right now it's for the best. I think I'd be able to do it much better without the extreme pressure of the HSC.

enoilgam

HSC
You have to consider whether you need maths for your degree. A lot of courses have 2U as assumed knowledge, so dont drop it unless you dont need it. If you arent in a position to drop 2U/General, then you should drop the subject which is least likely to count towards your ATAR. If there is no clear frontrunner, then you should hold onto all your subjects for a while to get a taste of the HSC course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)