10 units in year 12 (1 Viewer)

tito981

HSC
Is it advised going straight to 10 units at the start of year 12, I’m sure of what I want to do but I don’t know if it is advisable. to people who did 10 units of 4u math, phys, chem and advanced English, is it worth dropping to these subjects if I’m sure that is what I want to do for my hsc and what is the change in workload for phys and chem?

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it advised going straight to 10 units at the start of year 12, I’m sure of what I want to do but I don’t know if it is advisable. to people who did 10 units of 4u math, phys, chem and advanced English, is it worth dropping to these subjects if I’m sure that is what I want to do for my hsc and what is the change in workload for phys and chem?
Since you know exactly what you want to do, you can definitely enter year 12 with 10 units, without wasting any time. However, if you have any hesitations, it's also fine if you decide to stay with your current subjects and then see which subject you'd like to drop (or if you'd like to stay with them) maybe for a week or two. I've got some friends doing chemistry and although the workload is similar, they say the content is easier.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
It's fine. I did the exact same subjects as you. No point wasting time on another 2 units if you already know what you want.

beetree1

HSC
Definitely keep 12 units until at least after Task 1 because you don't know which subject you will do better in because your prelims are in no way indicative of how you will do in hsc. My friend came first for chemistry and physics for prelims and recently dropped physics just before trials as it was her worst subject. Make sure you keep your options open to maximise your atar!!!

1-99

HSC
N/A

It's a good safety net to have in case things go wrong

oompaman

HSC
N/A
Depends how confident you are in your first 10 units, and whether you think you need backup

TamzidZ

HSC
12 to start off the year, 10 afterwards if one of the subjects is an achilles heel for you.

maaax

HSC
N/A
Personally, I reckon it's a bit risky to start off on 10. You might find one of your subjects is massively dragging you down, and it's way easier to just drop one than try and swap it out if you're only doing 10.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
You're in a similar situation to me as I want to do 4U math as well but am hesitant of doing 10 units straight away. For that reason, I'd say START with 12 units and get a feeling for what 4U is like, and drop the extra 2 units if you're really confident you'll do well (let your first assessment marks decide that)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd start off with 12 till you gauge how comfortable and likely you are to want to keep 4 unit.

TheShy

HSC
Don't you have to wait until term 1 to drop down to 10u?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)