10 units... is it too risky? (1 Viewer)

maiko

the maikoman
HSC
in short, no.. its not too risky. I was advised the same thing when I decided i wanted to drop economics, but I dropped it anyway, because I knew I wasn't going anywhere with it. As for me, I was putting more effort to get band 3's in eco, than I was to get band 5's and 6's in legal. If you feel confident with your 10 units, then get rid of the extra 2. there's no point in keeping them if you know they're not gonna count in the end.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
Sorry, but I'm sick to death of life. He does 4 unit Math + ESL (OOPS, stupid me). I should learn to read. I read a lament about Math and now I use it to justify my inability at SC Math (note my aim).

I might just end it all! My hormones are going crazy, and I just can't control it anymore.

I also form many opinions on the HSC (I am in Year 10, so I know all about it ok?). My opinions are absolute, if you don't believe me, then you suck ass.

Oh, no, I just found CAPS LOCK, FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad1:
Shame. You should ban yourself from this site, and life.

bored of sc

HSC
10 units is fine. Unless one subject is severely weak for you or you can't handle the fact that everything counts to your UAI.

lou071

HSC
N/A
well at the moment i have total of 12 units with

4u maths
3u maths
english as second language
physics
business studies
senior science

however, even though its only the first week of the school, i alrdy find it hard to keep up with all my subjects because i get too much works from my maths and physics class. so i am trying to drop senior science because its the worst scaling subject that i got (and i find this subject pretty boring). the problem is, wen i discussed this with my head of house, he told me that it will be too risky to drop a subject now because it is only the first week of the school and that i may screw up in the other subject and then i will have no other subject to back it up. yeah, it is true that it is better to have more than 10 units but i am pretty confident to do well in the other subjects...

i am srsly not sure if i should drop senior science or not... please post me your suggestions & advices. thanks

by the way, my ranks for the assessments in term 4 last year are:

5 / 70 - 3u maths
3 / 9 - esl
7 / 43 - physics
3 / 11 - senior science
10 units is not risky.
it helps you focus more coz you have mroe time for each subject.

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
dropping d&t because it was a massive waste of my time
Amen.

@OP
If I was in your position, I would drop it (after much struggle and Pros + cons lists)

You just have to ask yourself Are you prepared to work hard? not bludge in Frees?

If the answer is yes, then go for it mate.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Sorry but I'm sick to death of these types of the threads to the point that I am going to stop readin them from hereon in. Did the OP say he does esl english as well as 4-unit english? coooooooooockoooooooooooo!!
He is doing Matematics Extension 2 with ESL. That's an acceptable combination.

I don't know how many times us BoSers have to diplomatically state the evidently little-know "truths":

1. 12 units is for pussies
  2. 10 units is much better
  3. If you don't like a subject you should drop
  4. Free periods are more fun than math, chem and physics! Same can be said for free sessions and double english... bo-ring! So yes, a double free is much better.
  5. Just drop you wimp! Who cares. Honestly?
  6. If you're stupid enough to fuck up one of your exams you really shouldn't be doing the HSC at all as you can't manage stress effectively, are mentally retarded, Chinese (racist idk though), just dumb, etc.
  7. DROP THE FUCKING SUBJECT and GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! :mad1:
Haha, that's true. However, not all people state the "truths" without giving out evidences.

OP:

I personally think that you are better off dropping Senior Science. Your ranks suggest that you are quite strong in all your subjects but your result in Senior Science (whatever that will be - except the top 5 in the state) won't be an acceptable cut-off for you (in terms of the scaled result that you may get). If you UAI goal is 94 UAI and if you want Senior Science to do its part, you may want to get something around 95+ in the course, are you sure you can make that?

On top of that, your subjects are already pretty highly scaled and your perfromance is decent (as I said before), you don't need to pressure yourself by doing extra 2 units.

If you are still unsure, why not look at this list:
  1. Do you need Senior Science for any university course in future? (I doubt you will...)
  2. Are you confidence of getting 95+ aligned results in that subject?
  3. Does doing that subject help you with any other subject? (Senior Science)
  4. Do you enjoy the subject? (i.e. Senior Science)
  5. Are your results poor at other subjects?
That's a brief outline. However, that list will enable you to make an informed decision. Hopefully that helped.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

4u maths
3u maths
physics
business studies
senior science

however, even though its only the first week of the school, i alrdy find it hard to keep up with all my subjects because i get too much works from my maths and physics class. so i am trying to drop senior science because its the worst scaling subject that i got (and i find this subject pretty boring). the problem is, wen i discussed this with my head of house, he told me that it will be too risky to drop a subject now because it is only the first week of the school and that i may screw up in the other subject and then i will have no other subject to back it up. yeah, it is true that it is better to have more than 10 units but i am pretty confident to do well in the other subjects...

i am srsly not sure if i should drop senior science or not... please post me your suggestions & advices. thanks

5 / 70 - 3u maths
3 / 9 - esl
7 / 43 - physics
3 / 11 - senior science
I think you might have to drop senior science by bos rules actually, cause i believe that senior science couldn't be taken with another science course in the HSC ( i don't know, this is what i have heard so please don't get angry this is what i have heard before from a DET person who talked to our school so you might want to look into that).

Dan2008

HSC
This is how I see dropping to 10 units in the HSC (from someone who should have) ...

If you are talented and dedicated enough, drop to 10 units (leaving behind the subject you least excel at) and you can work all the more effectively for those subjects, master them, and really push yourself into the 90's.

Please, if you don't fall into this catagory, don't kid yourself that you do.

If you and study dont mix well, I'd say stick with 12 units, because you dont know how you'll go in the HSC exam itself, and then you have the 2 unit safety net there to catch you :)

madsam

God among men
HSC
Just on a bit of a side note, over half the people who got 100 UAI's had 12 units or more....

So saying that it helps you concentrate on your subjects is rubbish, especially with 4unit maths. If you do 4unit, and 12 units total, you might find closer to the HSC that if you dropped to 3unit you could get a higher UAI which, afterall is what you want, right?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Just on a bit of a side note, over half the people who got 100 UAI's had 12 units or more....

So saying that it helps you concentrate on your subjects is rubbish, especially with 4unit maths. If you do 4unit, and 12 units total, you might find closer to the HSC that if you dropped to 3unit you could get a higher UAI which, afterall is what you want, right?
~3 people that got 100 UAI did 10 units. Out of 23~ people.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

nah 4unit wont lower ur uai
its easier to get more marks

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

When it's not really saying anything. Most peopele (if not all) who got 100 UAI would have excellent study routine as well as time management. So regardless of how many units they do (unless it doesn't exceed abnormal number of units), they would still get great UAI (e.g. 100 UAI)

Schoey93

HSC
i was stuck in the same sort of situation for all of last term as to whether to drop from 11 to 10 units but decided virtually b4 first day bak that i was gunna drop 3U english
im not finding it interesting, dont lyk a our genre and really find it a hassle as it take too much time from my other subjects coz we do the lesson in one sitting
now i just hav to get my paperwork done

Sorry for telling you guys not to drop a while a go (BUMP!!)

I realise that I was out of line. it's just that I read posts like this one A LOT (I'm more of a reader than a poster on BOS tbh). So yeh... all of my Year 12 friends do as little work as possible to get the marks. At the end of the day, we all need to balance

• diet
  • exercise
  • work and/or stress
and I think we all know that --- some people are all just WORK WORK WORK... and most employers are weary of that attitude.

ciao ciao a tutti! :)

jimmy james

Schoey93

HSC
When it's not really saying anything. Most peopele (if not all) who got 100 UAI would have excellent study routine as well as time management. So regardless of how many units they do (unless it doesn't exceed abnormal number of units), they would still get great UAI (e.g. 100 UAI)
DUH!!:devil:

Real Madrid

HSC
Sorry but I'm sick to death of these types of the threads to the point that I am going to stop reading them from hereon in. Did the OP say he does esl english as well as 4-unit english? coooooooooockoooooooooooo!!

I don't know how many times us BoSers have to diplomatically state the evidently little-know "truths":

1. 12 units is for pussies
  2. 10 units is much better
  3. If you don't like a subject you should drop
  4. Free periods are more fun than math, chem and physics! Same can be said for free sessions and double english... bo-ring! So yes, a double free is much better.
  5. Just drop you wimp! Who cares. Honestly?
  6. If you're stupid enough to fuck up one of your exams you really shouldn't be doing the HSC at all as you can't manage stress effectively, are mentally retarded, Chinese (racist idk though), just dumb, etc.
  7. DROP THE FUCKING SUBJECT and GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! :mad1:
shut the fuck up kid, you have no fucking idea what you're on about

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I think you might have to drop senior science by bos rules actually, cause i believe that senior science couldn't be taken with another science course in the HSC ( i don't know, this is what i have heard so please don't get angry this is what i have heard before from a DET person who talked to our school so you might want to look into that).
According to my school, that rule does exist but I know a number of people who did one of the 3 sciences with Senior Science.

random-1005

Banned
HSC

4u maths
3u maths
physics
business studies
senior science

5 / 70 - 3u maths
3 / 9 - esl
7 / 43 - physics
3 / 11 - senior science

you cant do physics and senior science anyway, if u do bio chem or phys, you cant do senior science, and vice versa, its one of the rules of the HSC

Schoey93

HSC
you cant do physics and senior science anyway, if u do bio chem or phys, you cant do senior science, and vice versa, its one of the rules of the HSC
Not true. The exception to the rule is that in Year 12 you may take Senior Science in the place of another science course you studied during Preliminary year, e.g.

• Student A studied the following subject in Year 11: English Standard, Mathematics Advanced, Mathematics Extension, Biology, Chemistry, Agriculture, Community and Family Studies.
  • In Year 12, for their NSW HSC the student decides that he is bored of Biology and wishes to drop it. However, he also wishes to drop CAFS. Dropping both subjects would mean he has insufficient units, as he does not wish to take up Maths Extension 2.
  • Therefore the student transfers to Senior Science and studies: Eng Std, Math Adv, Math Ext 1, Chem, Snr Sci and Ag = 11 units.
;)
There you go. Ecco!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)