10 units vs 12 units. (1 Viewer)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Hey everyone,
I've heard debates on whether to do 10 units for the HSC or 12 units.
How many units did you do or currently still do? Why?

Thanks in advance. :haha:

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
12 units incase u fk up one subject. If you do 10 units in HSC and fk up one subject ur atar will be affected greatly considering that one of your best 10 units is shit. thus do 12 units so that if you fk up a 2 unit course, your best 10 will still count and the fked up 2 unit course wont affect atar.

Chubbeh

HSC
Assuming everything else (Eng, 3U, 4U, Chem) would count because of scaling and my enthusiasm in the subjects, I did 10 units because I believed I would do better in a certain 2 units (PDHPE) than another (Biology, also my teacher wasn't that great) so I dropped it. Yay for free periods (which I spent mainly on Maths).

People would opt for 12 units for 'back-up', but if you put enough effort into 10, then why waste your time? Unless you have a genuine interest in all your subjects..

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
compare these two: not that accurate but you will get the point:

e.g. student 1 does 10 units in HSC:
eng adv - 90
business - 90
chem - 90
eco - 90
geo - 40 (fked up)

atar = 84

student 2 does same subject + 2 more units

eng adv - 90
business - 90
chem - 90
eco - 90
geo - 40 (fked up)
math - 90

atar = 96.

thus geo did not count. so do 12 units no matter what, unless you are sure you will not fk up and can get great results in best 10 units

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
It's really up to you OP. Personally, I would do 12 units as I feel safer so I know I won't be screwed.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
11 :p
didn't want to do 13 and couldn't drop english extension (luv it). It's a good number, but workload is roughly the same as 12 units bc MX2 haha

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
u should always have a safety net of 2 u IMO, i.e 12 units or 13units if doing extension

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Im going to be dropping down to 11 units from 13.

I'm not interested in legal studies at all so I can redirect time spent on it into other subjects (weaker ones such as 3u maths).

Another reason why Im choosing to drop legal studies over 3u maths is due to the possible bonus points I can get for it as opposed to legal studies. :)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
u need min 10 units for HSC right, i forgot, lol

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
u should always have a safety net of 2 u IMO, i.e 12 units or 13units if doing extension
why 13? workload isn't worth it, unless you kill all your subjects. But 3 units don't count, so what's the point in doing waay too much?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
well if u do 13u and drop an 1unit course u would be fine but i guess that if u drop a 2 unit course it would not allow for a safety net.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
well if u do 13u and drop an 1unit course u would be fine but i guess that if u drop a 2 unit course it would not allow for a safety net.
if you have 11 units, you still have an extra unit of backup. I guess its more incentive to do better so the need for a "safety net" is obsolete

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
well yea, in the end do well in all subjects and you don't need no safety net

MilkDrinker

HSC
I did 10 for my HSC - Adv English, Ext 1 math, Ext 2 maths, Chem and Phys.
I chose very early on to just keep 10 units and not keep Bio as well and have 12 units. Main reasons for me: if I kept both Ext2 maths and bio, I would have offline periods which means I have to wake up early or stay back late or miss out on lunches... this would have also led to reduced sleep (which in yr 12 you need the most of) or missing out on the start of after school tutoring. Also, bio isnt as high scaling as my other subjects and I wasnt as good at it anyway...
Another reason for me having 10 units is that it means I can dedicate more time to fewer subjects which means I could get more study done and worry less about having to study for an extra test when test blocks come round.

In summary, it really depends on your situation and whether you feel that one of your 10 units might let you down, then it would probably be best to go for 12 units, otherwise, if you are happy with your performance in your 10 units, then keeping just 10 units might give you an advantage.

Sorry for the long message,
cya

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I had 12 units.

I was contemplating dropping economics this time last year but kept it the whole way.

In the end I got 73 for it and it was not counted.

In saying that, I never studied for eco. I didn't even bother to learn in class. The teacher had to tell me off for continually doing MX2 work in eco periods. I just told him that I didn't give a damn about it and would rather do MX2.

Another thing is that I based all my final eco HSC exam of what I had learnt in answering short answer questions in Physics and Chemistry. I made up random concepts on the spot and wrote down anything on the paper. Somehow bullshitting can still get you a low band 4.

I have no regrets. It was worth doing eco just as it was my way of relaxing and doing random stuff. Plus, the basic stuff is actually relevant to everyday life, so it was worth it learning a few of that stuff.

Last edited:

studybuddy101

HSC
if you enjoy all your subjects then keep as many units as you had in year 11. If you're indifferent then 10 units will lighten the workload, i don't really believe in the "safety net" idea. If you're on this forum you obviously care about school and i highly doubt you'll "stuff up" an exam you've spent all year studying for.

I took 13 units just to add to the data on here

study1234

HSC
I did 12 units, but I dropped down to 10 units after trials. I regret not just dropping that extra 2 units at the end of Yr 11, would've had more time to study.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I had 12 units.

I was contemplating dropping economics this time last year but kept it the whole way.

In the end I got 73 for it and it was not counted.

In saying that, I never studied for eco. I didn't even bother to learn in class. The teacher had to tell me off for continually doing MX2 work in eco periods. I just told him that I didn't give a damn about it and would rather do MX2.

Another thing is that I based all my final eco HSC exam of what I had learnt in answering short answer questions in Physics and Chemistry. I made up random concepts on the spot and wrote down anything on the paper. Somehow bullshitting can still get you a low band 4.

I have no regrets. It was worth doing eco just as it was my way of relaxing and doing random stuff. Plus, the basic stuff is actually relevant to everyday life, so it was worth it learning a few of that stuff.
shit don't your teachers get really pissed off and stuff? omg I'm pretty sure if that happened at my school it would be awkward silence and general controversy haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)