1000Nm of torque (1 Viewer)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Recently I've been thinking more and more about critiques I've seen in reviews of the AMG 6.5L V12 engines producing 1KNm of torque, namely that it's almost too much to control, especially in a frame such as the SL roadster.

I've never understood what that sort of torque would feel like, seeing as no other companies have come anywhere near that figure. The closest I've gotten is in an RX8 at full pelt, and the experience has still stuck with me (being fluck back and forth :D ) even then being only about 220Nm of torque.

Anyone experienced a high-pulling car before? What does it feel like to you, and do you think 1000Nm is just a little too much?

On a side note, I also think there's a lot of promise in the new 6.3L V8 to be naturally aspirated in future cars from AMG.

Last edited:

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Murf said:
Never been in one before, its usefull to note though the Monaro's (which i have been in) contain a huge amount of torque, there are people who mod their naros to having almost 600nm which is also huge for something australian built haha. Also being in a few ferrari's im not even sure off memory what their Torque/Kw's spec's were.

I don't think there is ever such a thing as too much torque:p

Murf
I think the CV8Z outputs 550Nm stock, which is very impressive. Even ferraris are at that number or even lower. But 1000 to me is just mindboggling.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
1000Nm? holy living shit! now thats some pull. i doubt i could handle it, i would probably end up in an accident real fast with a car like that. probably a little too much considering people would want ti for driving on street

SlipStream

HSC
I've driven a T3 TE50, the stroker 5.6L with 500Nm - the journos say has the most unique torque curve of any car ever produced in Oz - it was awesome. Any gear, any rpm, any speed - plant your foot and it just pulls and pulls. Can't do that in a WRX - of which I've driven an MY99 version and a current model. In any gear, at any speed, if you're below 3000rpm and plant it, there's just not enough torque - you gotta wait for the turbo to wake up and start pumping the boost - at about 3500rpm it comes on full boost - and then you're away.

But 1000Nm? Insane. And they're selling them to your Average (not average wallet, mind you) Joe, who's experience could extend to something like a 318 bimmer - it should come with some kind of course for free. If FPV can do it, Merc damn well can!

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i've been in a wrx that had so much boost that i couldnt move off the seat when turbo kicked in.
that was a quick car, awesome feeling

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
jeez, you guys, torque isnt horsepower, an RX8 (and rotories) arent renown for their torque really

i've been in a truck with 800Nm of 'torkkkkk' wasnt that much fun :p

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
bowman said:
i've been in a wrx that had so much boost that i couldnt move off the seat when turbo kicked in.
that was a quick car, awesome feeling
seconded, i was pretty impressed when i was thrown back into the nice cushiony wrx's leather seat, and just thinking how much more powerful 1000nm would feel like, i have no idea

the guy who was going on about trucks having 800nm, yeah it doesnt feel like shit because of the weight it was pulling, put that into a car which weighs like 20x less and you will feel it

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Serius said:
seconded, i was pretty impressed when i was thrown back into the nice cushiony wrx's leather seat, and just thinking how much more powerful 1000nm would feel like, i have no idea

the guy who was going on about trucks having 800nm, yeah it doesnt feel like shit because of the weight it was pulling, put that into a car which weighs like 20x less and you will feel it
umm, thanks, though it was sarcasm. cheers.

anyway, been in an ex-WRC car down in canberra, my FUCKING god, that was quick, 4 sec 0-100 on dirt, and this was on tarmac, so a touch quicker. The strong footrest is needed otherwise you'll slide around too much or you'll break a shit one

SlipStream

HSC
Trucks without a trailer - especially the newer ones - are pretty quick off the line.

Anyone ever heard of Permo-Drive?

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
our friend has a racing truck, one of the smaller ones, his turbo runs 40psi.
he won the light truck class a few times now

Mr Will

HSC
that depends...if youre talking about the actual torque curve, rotaries are far superior to any piston engine (naturally aspirated or otherwise).
its not just peak torque that counts.
rotaries have a very flat torque curve which is far more useful, and in many ways driveable than something with say 550nm, eg a holden genIII v8

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Mr Will said:
that depends...if youre talking about the actual torque curve, rotaries are far superior to any piston engine (naturally aspirated or otherwise).
its not just peak torque that counts.
rotaries have a very flat torque curve which is far more useful, and in many ways driveable than something with say 550nm, eg a holden genIII v8
you sure? a car with 450Nm at 1800rpm is more useful than a car that has 300Nm from 2500rpm onwards in a lot of situations. As driving around normally, most people dont take their cars to 5 grand, rather changing at 2500 or something

if you were to race, then maybe the flatter 'curve' would be helpful, but the V8 with 500Nm down low would also have torque upwards (not saying Rotaries are bad...def. not)

torque is the measure of force an engine has to turn the flywheel (the actual turning force an engine has). Being a V8 with more cylinders (and capacity) for combustion and 'power' it's going to have more torque naturally, and from lower down, as the added capacity allows for more 'bang' (more power behind the movement of the flywheel/crank/etc).

I've never driven a rotary *gasp* and im just going from what others have said, and deriving the feeling of driving smaller cars with lesser torque, but higher RPM and flatter torque (though less than a V8 or even 6). but i'd prefer to drive a car (esp manual) that has more torque down low than something that has a flat torque curve, in traffic you cant race, you dont surpass 2-3 thou RPM so you only need low down torque.

Last edited:

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
The 1KNm mark has been surpassed!

The BRABUS S V12 S Biturbo engine develops a staggering 537 kW at 5 100 r/min. Peak torque is an amazing 1 320 Nm which is limited electronically to 1 100 Nm and is available from a low 2 100 r/min.

Without sacrificing smoothness it transforms the luxury sedan into a serious challenger for the world's fastest sports cars:
# 0 ? 100 km/h in 4.0 seconds,
# 200 km/h after just 11.9 seconds
# >top speed is electronically limited to 340 km/h

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
that's so stupid...brabus and AMG are having torque fights....

AMG got to 1000Nm..Brabus just surpasss it

im awaiting AMGs reply...

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Wouldnt it keep being limited to about 1100 anyway (seeing as Brabus probably thought thats the most that a person could handle)?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
why would it always be limited to 1100?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Well, 1100 or so, i mean brabus had the choice to limit it to anywhere between 1100 and 1320.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
publicity...they'll keep going unless there's intervention (i dont want there to be yet :))

so AMG will create more torque, brabus will raise thir limit..etc etc

for companies who pride themselves on proper power (i.e torque) and are always against each other..then chances are they'll try and beat one another with dyno figures

Luke_D

HSC
011 said:
The 1KNm mark has been surpassed!

The BRABUS S V12 S Biturbo engine develops a staggering 537 kW at 5 100 r/min. Peak torque is an amazing 1 320 Nm which is limited electronically to 1 100 Nm and is available from a low 2 100 r/min.

Without sacrificing smoothness it transforms the luxury sedan into a serious challenger for the world's fastest sports cars:
# 0 ? 100 km/h in 4.0 seconds,
# 200 km/h after just 11.9 seconds
# >top speed is electronically limited to 340 km/h
The Bugatti Veyron has 1250Nm of torque @ 2200-5500rpm. :) That car is ridiculous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)