I am currently in Year 11, studying;
- English Advanced
- Mathematics
- Legal Studies
- Economics
- Business Studies
- Chemistry
- English Extension

I am currently not enjoying Chemistry, and was considering dropping it next year. I have heard a lot of debate regarding dropping subjects, and the negative repercussions of doing so. I would like to hear everyone's opinions and reasons to drop or not drop Chemistry.

Basically, 11 or 12 Units? It would be great to hear some positive ATARs with only 10 or 11 units.

buriza

conviction
HSC
There would be a lot of students who have gotten high ATARs with 10 or 11 units, so you really shouldn't be too concerned about the correlation between the numbers of units and the ATAR you're going to receive. You need to think about whether or not you see yourself doing well in Chemistry when it comes to Year 12, because the problem is if you end up not doing all that well in Chemistry and it doesn't end up counting, the effort you applied could've been allocated to other subjects. It's really up to you in the end and what you think about Chemistry. Maybe you'll get a better idea of things after you've done more of Chemistry this year, for example if your marks end up being good. The debate regarding dropping subjects usually concerns one who drops from X units to 10 units, since if you have 10 units, you don't have any safety net. This isn't as much an issue for you, since you're currently doing 13 units, and dropping Chemistry will result in 11 (hence you'll somewhat still have a safety net).

Lithone

HSC
Well there's no point in doing 13 units as a "safety net" if you're not gonna have maximum performance in them all (only 10 units count in the end anyway).

For many people (ahem i'm on 10 lel), 11 units is the optimum because you have a slight safety net, but the units are few enough as to still be able to handle in terms of study time ^^

If you feel like you're still struggling in Chem, just drop it.
Chem scales high and it's fun if you're into it, but there's a lot of rote learning and the marking scheme for sciences in general are freaking harsh

dinomyte

HSC
I would say drop Chemistry and do 11 units. 11 units is still good because it still gives you that one unit of "safety net" but you also get more free periods (to study or to play around haha). Don't worry about scaling because if you were thinking about dropping 3u english to get down to 12 units, 3u english tends to scale the same or better than Chemistry.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I did 11 units and got 99 ATAR, funnily enough my extension english didn't count although i got 44/50 for that which meant that I did try a decent amount... Thing is at the end of the day your gonna face the reality that something won't count and if your not bothered in doing a subject that you don't want to count in just drop it now and go with what works. Would I have dropped english extension if I knew it wouldn't count? yes I would have. But as a sign of advice you never know what counts and what doesn't so again the principle of the safety net applies. Just keep 12 units if you feel that your prepared to study equally hard for all your subjects... same with 11 units. Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)