1131/1141 Assumed Knowledge Quiz (1 Viewer)

Drewk

HSC
I was wondering how hard the Assumed Knowledge Quiz test is (plz reply if u have done it and what topic the questions are largely on) and should i spend a day or 2 going over ext1 work to go well in it?

Also what does it mean by "Remember you have 5 attempts and we take the best of them" do have 5 attempts for each test??

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Do they take the best 4 out of 5 attempts and average them out or do they take the best one as your mark?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Do they take the best 4 out of 5 attempts and average them out or do they take the best one as your mark?
uhh is this the maple quizzes for math1131/41? If so they take your highest mark

So if you get 8/10, 8/10, 9/10, 9/10, 8/10 they will take 9/10 as your mark
Or
You get 10/10 in your first attempt then you don't need to do them again

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It is not that hard, but you need to be careful to read the instructions carefully, for example, in integration questions, do not add a constant C (for indefinite integrals), and sometimes it is also quite weird that they express certain format of presentation, for example, I remember for one of the questions, I wrote an answer of 24 and 3/4(so essentially a mixed fraction), yet the answer was 24.75 -and logically they are identical, but Maple still marked me wrong, anyways, lesson learnt, it is important to read questions carefully and remember-you have got five chances-plenty of lead way to stuff up and redeem yourself:)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
^^^That's a relief because I was thinking of trying one out first to see what I should read to get the highest result possible in the next 4 attempts.

1/5 counted is good for me.

Drewk

HSC
It is not that hard, but you need to be careful to read the instructions carefully, for example, in integration questions, do not add a constant C (for indefinite integrals), and sometimes it is also quite weird that they express certain format of presentation, for example, I remember for one of the questions, I wrote an answer of 24 and 3/4(so essentially a mixed fraction), yet the answer was 24.75 -and logically they are identical, but Maple still marked me wrong, anyways, lesson learnt, it is important to read questions carefully and remember-you have got five chances-plenty of lead way to stuff up and redeem yourself:)
Thanks for your reply,
Is there any topic they are largely on like integration etc?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for your reply,
Is there any topic they are largely on like integration etc?
They actually test all spectrums of the extension maths syllabus, and each time you do the exam, the include slightly different topics, but differentiation and integration seems to be a definite question in the quiz.

Drewk

HSC
is there 4U stuff in it?
Well for 1131 only ext.1 is a requirement but for 1141 4u is a requirement i think... so if they have different quizzes for ppl enrolled in 1141 they would be they only ones with 4U questions i imagine.

Drewk

HSC
Also forgot to ask it it timed ? /how much time do u get per Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Also forgot to ask it it timed ? /how much time do u get per Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From my memory, the time limit is 30 minutes, it is actually plenty of time to do and check the questions.

um. what happens if you fail this?
I think it is unlikely people will fail the quiz, but if it does occur, then the relevant subject co-ordinator/first year coordinator might suggest you to move down to a easier maths course or refer you to peer tutoring schemes to support your transition and consolidate your knowledge.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh crap... I haven't done this stuff in ages..., gotta look at previous examples of this work.

Yeah if they say that if you get less or equal to the pass rate score (that is 6 out of 10), Francy (the student coordinator ) and may suggest you to do MATH1011 instead for now, MATH1131 in S2 and MATH1231 in Summer.

Khe123

HSC
N/A
when do we have to do this by? can we start anytime?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You need to attain at least 6 out of 10 to be considered a pass score.
I did one test and it was out of 6......

And it said 6/6 = 100% at the end.

But do I have to do more of them or not?

when do we have to do this by? can we start anytime?
This Wednesday morning it closes I think (or maybe its afternoon I'm not sure but its some time on this Wednesday).

lolwot

HSC
Here's a PDF (http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/math1131-41inf14.pdf), I think its the same information booklet that you get in the coursepack.

"You will be allowed 5 attempts at the AKQ and each online algebra and calculus test but only your best mark for each test will count. Then, the best 4 of these 5 marks will contribute up to 4% of your final grade."

It also states the AKQ is due by 1pm this Wednesday.

And like another poster says, it states that:

" You will also be required to do an ASSUMED KNOWLEDGE QUIZ (AKQ),
which will count as part of the on-line tests. This test will be based on the revision problems
in the Calculus Problem booklet. If you do not score at least 6 out 10 on this quiz you should
speak to the Director of First Year about your options. "
, so you I guess you should get at least 4 or above in this test.

Make sure you've revised a little bit, and carefully answer/select the right multiple choice question according to the criteria it sometimes give you. If you have one attempt and don't go well, don't do another attempt right after, you'll be on tilt. I learnt the hard way.

Last edited:

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
1131 quiz is actually really easy... I looked over the assumed knowledge notes for like 10 minutes and full marks first attempt, so no need to stress + you get 5 attempts so..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)