13 Units. Crazy or...? (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
So I can't decide what to give the flick to.
I'm going to do:

4unit English
Modern History
Visual Arts
Chemistry
Biology
History Extension

& SOR 1

So, technically 14 units but I don't intend on studying SOR at all, wasn't my choice to study.

Am I insane or?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I did 14 units. And...?

Just manage your time.

enoilgam

HSC
I'm going to do:

4unit English
Modern History
Visual Arts
Chemistry
Biology
History Extension

& SOR 1

So, technically 14 units but I don't intend on studying SOR at all, wasn't my choice to study.

Am I insane or?
Not at all - just try it and if you cant manage the workload, then drop some subjects.

Eg155

HSC
Lol because my teachers are like "NO you're spreading yourself too thin! You will be up against people who have accelerated and are only doing 6 units for year 12!"

It's because I want to do med and like I will probably need the 99+ atar because I don't see UMAT going too well.. :L

Do you all think it's possible for *that* kind of result.. without dropping anything along the way?

enoilgam

HSC
Lol because my teachers are like "NO you're spreading yourself too thin! You will be up against people who have accelerated and are only doing 6 units for year 12!"

It's because I want to do med and like I will probably need the 99+ atar because I don't see UMAT going too well.. :L

Do you all think it's possible for *that* kind of result.. without dropping anything along the way?
I guess its possible, but that depends on you really.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Yes, if you're good enough.

ellie95

HSC
N/A

Yeah I'm only doing 6 units next year as I'm doing my other 6 units this year. It's over 2 years

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going to do:

4unit English
Modern History
Visual Arts
Chemistry
Biology
History Extension

& SOR 1

Am I insane or?
Not totally crazy, my sister did 13 units for HSC (My subs + mx1). But I'm not a massive advocate of it, but I suggest you start the year with those and drop if you feel you need to/have some units that definitely won't count.

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay if you MUST drop then consider the following in order:
1. Consider your passions/interest for all your subjects.
2. Drop your most hated subject. Usually, your most hated subject should be your weakest or close to your weakest. The one you hate studying for.
3. If 2 doesn't work then drop your weakest subject in Year 11 or what you think will most likely be your weakest in Year 12. Weakest can be in terms of raw marks or ranks or whatever. Therefore, statistically the weakest.
4. If 3 doesn't work and you LOVE all your subjects equally then drop the lowest scaling subject. You want to maximise your ATAR for med so yeah.... Strategically, it could be beneficial.
5. If 4 doesn't work, you can resort to seeking advice from your year advisor and talking to all your teachers about your progress in each subject. Then from there, eliminate anything you don't want to drop for sure then you'll be left with maybe 2 or 3 subjects to choose from.. these 2 or 3 subs could be your inconsistent (in terms of marks) subs or the subs you don't like as much as your others. Look at your weakest/most hated from this bunch and you should be able to pick 1 sub out of the 3 or so to drop.
6. Worst comes to worst (I doubt this will happen, by Step 4 at the max.. I doubt step 5 will even happen..., you should have found something to drop by now), keep everything and just work extra harder?

jenslekman

HSC
I'm going to do:

4unit English
Modern History
Visual Arts
Chemistry
Biology
History Extension

& SOR 1

Am I insane or?
14 units is not insane - but with your subject selection - it seems like quite a big workload O_O
but if you're confident with it - do it by all means - if you feel that you cant cope then you can just drop anything you want O_O

Eg155

HSC
Wow.. drop like visual arts or bio
Visual Arts is my strongest subject by far, it would be insane to drop it considering my rank and raw marks + cohort is of a very high callibre in my group. I would drop bio... but the course looks so interesting! But, like, it is my 2nd lowest scaling (next to VA) but I have the potential to come first.. only problem is the cohort is quite poor here: +'s= come first, -'s= moderated down due to cohort :L BUT sooo much content! :L

Okay if you MUST drop then consider the following in order:
1. Consider your passions/interest for all your subjects.
2. Drop your most hated subject. Usually, your most hated subject should be your weakest or close to your weakest. The one you hate studying for.
3. If 2 doesn't work then drop your weakest subject in Year 11 or what you think will most likely be your weakest in Year 12. Weakest can be in terms of raw marks or ranks or whatever. Therefore, statistically the weakest.
4. If 3 doesn't work and you LOVE all your subjects equally then drop the lowest scaling subject. You want to maximise your ATAR for med so yeah.... Strategically, it could be beneficial.
5. If 4 doesn't work, you can resort to seeking advice from your year advisor and talking to all your teachers about your progress in each subject. Then from there, eliminate anything you don't want to drop for sure then you'll be left with maybe 2 or 3 subjects to choose from.. these 2 or 3 subs could be your inconsistent (in terms of marks) subs or the subs you don't like as much as your others. Look at your weakest/most hated from this bunch and you should be able to pick 1 sub out of the 3 or so to drop.
6. Worst comes to worst (I doubt this will happen, by Step 4 at the max.. I doubt step 5 will even happen..., you should have found something to drop by now), keep everything and just work extra harder?
Whoa! Thanks for this nexus_lad :) What you said is absolutely true but the big problem is, as you said in #5, I LOVE all my subs :L (if bio holds true to sticking to human biology NOT plants like prelim -___-)

14 units is not insane - but with your subject selection - it seems like quite a big workload O_O
but if you're confident with it - do it by all means - if you feel that you cant cope then you can just drop anything you want O_O
Hhaahah yeah! But I'm fairly certain I'll just drop to Catholic studies and just draw pics of Jesus so I won't get any mark, just a pass, on my HSC and it won't look bad --> so I'm down to 13 units...

Direwolf

HSC
Wow you're gonna have three major works remember, that's gonna be some extreme time management.

Eg155

HSC
idk what to do :L bio has everything to with med but it could potentially be my downfall :L

imbecile

HSC
don't do history extension, it's terrible/boring and doesn't scale well.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
If your basis on doing 13 units is solely based on wanting to acheive a 99+ ATAR and think that by having more units you have a greater chance of getting it, I wouldn't recommend it.

However, myself doing 13 units, I did not find it difficult it all. Obviously, those people with less units will have more free periods and more, but at the same time doing 13 units can be beneficial.
The reason why I didn't drop anything is because I needed the pressure and the stress of always having another subject to do.
I hope this makes sense, but always knowing that I had another subject to study for, I tended not to procrastinate. This is based on what type of person you are. If you are someone who needs a push, or can't seem to motivate yourself, I would recommend. It's not a crazy option, just one that would require dedication.

+ you might as well TRY how you can cope with 13 units, and if it doesn't work, no worries! Just drop!
You'd much rather stay safe, than be sorry.

Eg155

HSC
Thanks Juicystar07 :)
Hahah, no I wan't doing it purely because I want 99+ but because I love all of the subs. If anything it makes more sense to have less because then there is more time to study all the other subjects, but I get what you mean :)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
3 major works is a LOT. And the final complete work for each tends to be due about the same time as trials. You're going to need to have incredibly good time management because there will be a huge temptation to leave stuff to the last minute and that could detract severely from your study for trials and potentially impact several of your other subjects.

I personally would not recommend 3 major works. Having said that, I did 14 units and I achieved a very high mark, but you have to remember that only 10 units are counted, so it's a significant amount of extra work and stress that you're not getting any reward for (apart from just knowing extra stuff). I understand that you love all your subjects and want to keep them, and definitely maintain that as long as possible and perhaps the obvious answer as to what to drop will become clear, but also be aware that subjects like history can easily be studied in your own time by just grabbing a few books out of the library.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Oh, and another thing. As far as timetabling goes, typically with 12 units, you might have approx 2 free periods per week at school, with 13 you would have none and maybe a lunch class, and with 14 you will have additional hours outside the typical 9-3. This extra class time should be factored in because it also means less time to work on things like major works, or chill, or do sport, or any other commitments you might have.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Does History have major works? I thought out of OP's subjects only Art would have the major work...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)