14,000 people dead??? tidal wave (2 Viewers)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
By the way Cape... Global Warming is going to happen so get over it, all the people on the Maldives currently living there will be dead by then anyway so maybe we should come up with a cure for death first.
Heh the only reason that they may die is because they have altered their islands far too much for the actual islands to respond to the probable rise. It has been suggested/said that global warming and sea-level rise isn't a threat, rather it's the development processes that have disrupted the islands' geomorphological stability coupled with sea-level rise that is the problem. Ah well, it's too late to go back to basics, and the tourist dollar is far from being something that the government wants to lose.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Pace Setter said:
Exactly what I was about to say.

I used to think people's reaction to various world events directly corresponded to the hype given by the media. That's clearly not the case though. You have a look at the African case, and now the tsunami's. We all know there's been more deaths in the former case, yet the reaction is 10-fold for the latter. Rather than the media, the only thing that the general public really care about is in/stability-i.e peaks and troughs. While there's consistency in the deaths in Africa, there are no noticeable peaks in the amount of deaths. It's relatively even. Which is of course completely opposite to what happened with the tsunami.

I might seem cynical but this whole show of support seems based on emotion/sentiment rather than any motivation to aid the world in this and similar problems. If that weren't the case, people would have a minute of silence every single day for all those victims of starvation and disease in Africa. One thing is certain: For every penny/aid worker that aids in every person saved at the scene of this tsunami, there exists one less penny/aid worker for the sufferers in Africa.
i like your thinking. it sort of sums up something that pisses me off and that i have been trying to clear up for over a year now. .....

it is similar to famous people getting lots of attention when they are sick, but there are people suffering from the same and worse things everyday and they have to do it without all the attention.

there isn't one less penny/aid worker for the africans though, just a bit less money in each person's pocket which doesn't make a difference to them anyway. unfortunately the same thing doesn't happen do the tradgedies that occur everyday.

Generator

HSC
N/A
It would be so bloody hard to 'fix' Africa that it appears to be barely worth considering. Besides, given the past, would our 'help' be welcomed?

The African continent must work through its 'troubles' on its own. There isn't much that we can do beyond send in aid and watch the warlords take as much as they want.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
you have to love the headlines on msn:
- indian ocean early warning system urged
- baby washed from fathers arms
- road toll over christmas reaches 20
- Tassie quakes linked to asia disaster
- two aussies confirmed dead.

Maybe msn is promoting our 20 dead on the road :(

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What the......lol random

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
what i was trying to say was everyones making a big statement about the tsunami and msn in making something big out of nothing.

20 ppl is nothing to the amount of ppl dead across asia now.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
but it's 'our' roads

but the rest are about the disaster

HSC
wanton-wonton said:
It's an earthquake you fucking idiot, how would it have anything to do with global warming. Fuck me dead you are even more stupid than berry.

your the one who misunderstood me so that makes you the idiot you fucking tool

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
For gods sake calm down.... *waits for the end of the world*

ishq

brown?
HSC
the toll is up tp 23 000 according to the latest figures......

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
24,000 now.

As for the 20 dead on our roads, what, because something terrible has happened overseas, we should just ignore everything that happens in Australia? 20 dead from preventable road accidents isn't all that great either.

Soha --> in reguards to the terrorist attack, the theory isn't baseless. In Iran a few years back, bombs were detonated on the sea floor causing smiliar, abeit alot smaller, reactions ie earthquake/tidal wave, but no where near the same extent as this. Many may have been joking, but the theory had evidence.

tattoodguy

they said..................they anticipate up to another 25,000 dead in india...... there are heaps misssing etc.........

it wouldnt be suprising if 50,000 end up dying all together.

whats all the epidemic, water pollution problems etc?????????????????/ is that supposed to kill alot o fpppple? anyone know anything about that?

like the after effects....diseases etc???????

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well the salt water gets into the local water supplies making it undrinkable.

Disease will occur do the poor conditions, the unburied bodies etc.

tattoodguy

so ppple could die..cos there is no water? they die of like..........................whatever thats called...but basicially like hunger and shit will kill them?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Diease will spread because the coastal borders of Thailand, Western Indonesia, Sir Lanka and India have rotting corpeses everywhere. Not to mentionthe raw sewrage that is now in their drinking water and as Xayma said, salt and other impurities found in ocean water will contaminate their drinking water too. Pretty much, thousands more will die from dieases unless they recive humanitarian aid within the next 3 weeks.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
my greatest sympathy to all those victims and their families.
my cousins friend was in thailand and i dont know as yet whether or not she is alright.
ur all in my prayers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)