15 units for prelimary course (1 Viewer)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Right the subjects i'm studying are:
Studies of religion- 1u​
Stan English- 2 u
Eco- 2 u
Business studies- 2 u
Math- 2u
Modern history- 2 u
Art- 2 u
Ipt- 2 u
and i'm also studying japanese beginners, which is afterschool..

I'm not sure if i should drop one of the subjects, as you only need 12 units in yr 11. Its stressing because i got no study periods and loads of work..
So should i drop a subject right now??

jirwin

HSC
what made u take that many units in the first place and what subjects would u drop?

yosemite sam

HSC
Art has a major work in year 12.
I would drop that if i was you because that would take a lot of pressure off you next year if you want to keep 13 units next year.

starrysky

HSC
As a person who did 16 units for their Preliminary year (both Extensions, Biology, Hospitality, Business Studies, French Continuers by Distance Education, and Photography), I advise you, unless you find the subject easy and have been able to cope with the workload for the past year, drop it.

I agree with yosemite sam - drop Art unless you really like it and will be able to commit to theory-based work in addition to a practical major project consistently for Year 12. Likewise, I have to say that even though I didn't do it personally, Modern History is said to be a lot of work in both yeears - more so than, say, Business Studies - so that could also be an option to drop.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Drop a subject(s). If so, drop one that you have the least interest in and feel that you won't reach your full potential in.

If not, try it out. See whether or not the workload is having an effect on your overall performance and by doing so, you can make a decision later near the start of HSC of what subjects you should be doing.

noreaction

HSC
I agree. There is no point doing more subjects. I started out this year with 15 units too, but I dropped IPT by the end of the first week.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
I completed the prelim course with 16 units...not advisable

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you end up succeeding with 15 units...
*bows*

HSC
N/A
Believe me, unless you are really interested in each and every one of your subjects (and have a death wish), you should drop a subject. 15 units is completely unecessary, you need to have time for things besides work otherwise year 11 will turn out to be a total flop. Even 13 units is too much - I'm doing 13 units atm, and trust me, its the last thing you want to be doing in year 12...there's a lot of work, and not enough time to get everything done and STILL manage to have a life.

Go with what starrysky and yosemite sam said - I don't know about art, but you really have to think about your subject combinations - you don't want to end up with subjects that all have a massive work load (ie major works/lots of essays) in yr 12.

For modern though, don't do it unless you have a genuine interest in it - the marks you get don't usually reflect the massive amount of work and time you have to put in.
+ you might want to think about maybe even dropping 3 units, if you're doing jap beginners AS WELL.

You don't want to set yourself up for burnout this early.

benn07

HSC
our school timetable only accommodates up to 13 units, the rest has to be done at TAFE or outside school!

dpospination

HSC
wow,sually people only do that many usnits if they accelerate. you would probably want to drop a subject, as that would be very stressful

Zarafaraway

HSC
hate to say it but its going to be a tough 3 terms, i did thirteen and struggled enough...

crazathiest

HSC
I'd drop 2 units straight away and fast. I mean, seriously, 15 units is insane and crazy. At most, 13 units should be enough (I had 12 in mine) and then drop 2 more units prepared for next year, ending up with 11 units for year 12, which would be quite nice. Drop IPT or Eco in my opinion.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I'm thinking of droping one subject but i'm unsure of what i'm good at, because i only had one week of school. The subjects i think i might drop is buisness studies or art.. not sure

jessica.ann

HSC
i did 15 units in prelim
if u like wat your doing and coping go for it

dont do that many for hsc tho.. thats my advice
im now doing 12 and finding it heaps more work than the 15 i did in prelim

wait for a term and c how u are going then, first term of year 11 is pretty full on if i remmember right

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
A girl in my school did 16 units in yr 11. She ended up dropping 4 units at the begining of this year, and it just makes you think - all that work she put in for those subjects has gone to waste, and she couldve spent the, working on the subjects that shes doing for her HSC. So if i were you i'd think seriously about which subjects you want/don't want to do. Not only will your year be easier, but you will also be able to spend more time on the subjects you want to do - remember, preliminary work is assumed knowledge for the HSC, so if you have more time for the subjects you are doing youll be more confident for the HSC and may get a better result!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)