15 units (1 Viewer)

SimonLee13

HSC
15 units = X amount of time
2/3 of that time will be counted in the end.
The only people who did 15 units were those who accelerated 2-4 units in year 11 that I know of. Insane waste of time+effort.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
I did 16 units in year 11 so don't let anyone tell you that it's not doable, but its definitely not advisable in year 12.

if you do go through with it, basically it means you will have to be both very dedicated to all your subjects by studying regularly and also have really good organisation as assessments and examinations will constantly overlap. Your HSC timetable will be an absolute killer.

If you want to do it go for it. But don't be to proud to drop subjects if (when) you realise that your marks are suffering due to your excessive workload. If your as academic as what your trying to accomplish would suggest, I'd tell you to pick the courses you like the most and go with them. Looking back i wish i had done what i wanted rather than what teachers and peers reccomended for scaling and other reasons.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
know a kid who done 15 units, umm...=4u maths, 4u english, chem, bio,history, ext.history...came out a 96 UAI, i dont know what u consider as "coping" but i would say thats a bit of an achievement

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
addikaye03 said:
know a kid who done 15 units, umm...=4u maths, 4u english, chem, bio,history, ext.history...came out a 96 UAI, i dont know what u consider as "coping" but i would say thats a bit of an achievement
My sister got 96ish without 15units. She did 10. You honestly don't need 5 units worth of backup. 2 is enough.

xxJTxx

HSC
lol 11units is enough back up if you have like 5 2u's and 1ext!
why would you do 15??? waste of time, and you'll burn out so quick.
i was doing 14units at the beginning of yr 12..just so i could say i was doing 14units LOL..dropped down to 13 (bye bye 4u maths), then to 12 (Bye bye ext 2 eng), then to 11 (bye bye 3u maths)!

if you want a high uai..focusing on a limited amount of subjects and acing them is the best way.

loz8888

HSC
if you're going to do 15 units, you need to be super-organised and prepared! although, if i were u, i wouldnt be doing 15 units - even 13 units is a lot! it's your decision though, and it depends on how much u are willing to study throughout the WHOLE year . . . i say that because, i know that my personal motivation dwindled as the year progressed and i just wanted to get it over with ..i didn't study as much at the end of the year as i did at the beginning. however, everyone is different. its up to u in the end.

ratcher0071

HSC
the-derivative said:
Yeah,
it's best to just do a few subjects and focus on all of them really closely and get the best marks possible for those subjects.
That's what I'm going to do. Only 10 units :D

JamesTockuss

HSC
15 UNITS IS EPIC SUICIDE

Seriously, I do 13U and it's bad enough. 15 units = absolutely no social life.

HSC
^ going to have to agree with above poster that it is (while not impossible) suicide. after seeing what people in my year have gone through with just 13 units, i wouldn't recommend it.

student A: a friend of mine, started with 13. ended up with so much work that he dropped to 11 units. even then he didn't do his extension history trial, didn't do his drama IP trial which was worth a massive amount of his internal. he then dropped extension, but because he only has ten units now drama has to count. so his ranking for drama is shit, as is his english ranking, because he didn't have time to focus on his assessments.

student B: still doing 13 (or may have dropped SAC, can't remember) ended up so stressed that she got really sick. but she still had work to do so she continued doing it, ended up in hospital with pneumonia. she had to get estimates for all her trials, and she's STILL sick - all from the stress of 13 units.

think ahead. it's not just classwork, you'll have to do assessments for EVERY class you do, as well as the HSC at the end. in my opinion your time would be more valuably spent focusing on all of your subjects, i.e. doing really well in a few rather than average in everything because you don't have the time.

Last edited:

SimonLee13

HSC
Most people do 10-12 units... Anything above 13 is excessive I mean sure you have 2 backups but the quality of the units fall?

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
SimonLee13 said:
Most people do 10-12 units... Anything above 13 is excessive I mean sure you have 2 backups but the quality of the units fall?
No, not necessarily, it all depends on what units you're doing.
If you're doing a Language Ext. or ones with large Major Works involved (e.g. English Ext. 2 or VA) then you risk quality falling.
It also depends on the individual really, because obviously some people can handle certain subjects better and how well one can manage their time.

lolokay

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
My sister got 96ish without 15units. She did 10. You honestly don't need 5 units worth of backup. 2 is enough.
I don't think that was the point..

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Er 15 units is sorta.....bit too much, even if you're doing half bludgey subjects that have no major works.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I wonder what the record is for the most units done without accelerating.

cerys

because i can.
HSC
Okay. Back to square one for me again guys, sorry :uhoh:

Well I do 13u atm and I've found out that I've gotten mostly 90's for my yearlies for my subjects. And this is a product of me just remembering the things we've learnt in class and cramming/studying a week before the exam (almost no studying in between, except for some occasional h/w and assignments). i.e: this year has almost been a breeze, minus the occasionally times I've stressed a bit before exams.

Plus, theres the holidays. I've calculated that I can finish a whole load of language work in the holidays. English and languages are my strong point (I think).

So I have 15 units:

5 units = language (jap cont , jap ext + french beg)

I can get a majority done in the holidays, and revise throughout the term.

15 units cannot be that suicidal can it ??

:cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold:

Yes. I am a 'little' behind on French work but I'm determined to catch up in the holidays!

And what made me change my mind? On the phone with my French teacher, she told me I got really good marks for the yearly :shy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)