• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

15 Units? (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake101

HSC
Hmmm ok well I don't know much about HSC English courses. I took English Extension primarily as a "safety net" for Advanced if I stuff up. Is this smart or not so much? I'm aware it's like 3 units of work packed into one unit.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I think it's great you have passion. But I also think if you look back, you'll wonder why you did 15 when you only need 12 max.

I assure you, if you are doing fine in English Extension 1, the chance of you fucking up in Advanced is highly unlikely unless you decided to never attend English.

Additionally, your 4U Maths will be a big player in your subjects. I am definitely sure you will attain your ATAR goal.

If you remove English Extension 1, maybe you can do 14 units instead. Since your school requires 12, you can have one extra subject as a "passion" rather than anything else.

Honestly, as bland as this sounds, coming from a rank 5 school, you can attain a 95+ ATAR so easily, especially with the rankings in Year 11

Cheesecake101

HSC
Ah sorry misunderstood "school rank" - I'm 5th at my school, and my school does about 10-15th I think - anybody reading this who knows me, don't judge :)

Last edited:

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Probably shouldn't share your school name out. But it's still a good school ranking if I remember. Isn't it the top Private school? Like aren't the rest a joke and only Sydney Grammar...Boys is seen as legit LOL

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
A bloke from my school a few years back received 99.95 with 15 units including 4u maths and 3u latin, so it's not impossible.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
No one said it's impossible. It's just a waste of time, go discover yourself by having time to yourself :L

turntaker

HSC
Ok so I'm new here so hi y'all.
This is my subject selection for Yr 12 (2016):

4U Maths
3U English
3U Ancient History
3U Latin
2U Chem

These are my current subjects and ranks from half-yearlies:
3U Maths: 2nd
3U English: 15thish (I think?)
2U Ancient: 1st
2U Latin: 10th
2U Chem: 1st
2U Academic Extension (non-BOSTES): 1st

Is it even possible to do this/which should I drop/which subjects should I be scared of in terms of workload?
I'm aiming 99.95 but not really sure what's the best way to get it, or even if its realistic. Also, I really enjoy every one of these (except english, bloody hell :()
My current plan is to try all the extensions out for a term or so and go from there.
Thanks would really appreciate your thoughts, especially anybody who's done these subjects before. :)
15 units if overkill.
If you hate English why do 3U?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
If you enjoy all of your subjects, I'd say it's not time wasted.
I enjoy Legal Studies and Biology, I'm not going to waste my time on those subjects because I can pursue them when I don't have my HSC ATAR on stakes. Also, I have been able to prioritise my subjects and determine what I want to excel in, by minimising subjects to allow more time invested in each subject

Now whilst this student is very very organised and clearly talented in his subjects, I think Year 11 is very different and chilled in comparison to Year 12 :)

That's why I recommend he does 14 units, where 1 extra subjects is his "passion subjects" since 12 is compulsory for his school.

15 is an overkill. You will never know what happens in Year 12, therefore you need to reduce risks as well.

Last edited:

Fiction

HSC
I enjoy Legal Studies and Biology, I'm not going to waste my time on those subjects because I can pursue them when I don't have my HSC ATAR on stakes. Also, I have been able to prioritise my subjects and determine what I want to excel in, by minimising subjects to allow more time invested in each subject

Now whilst this student is very very organised and clearly talented in his subjects, I think Year 11 is very different and chilled in comparison to Year 12 :)

That's why I recommend he does 14 units, where 1 extra subjects is his "passion subjects" since 12 is compulsory for his school.

15 is an overkill. You will never know what happens in Year 12, therefore you need to reduce risks as well.
Not really. I mean if you think about it, you are learning more about that subject - and having a professional take you through something you may potentially enjoy rather than go through it yourself.
I'm not saying it's what everyone wants to do, but if you're the type to procrastinate away time anyways, why not just sit down and do an extra subject? At least you're learning something.

15 units is definitely achievable if you're good at time managing - and 15 units IMO anyways, would be deeply rewarding. However, if you tend towards more the disorganised side, it might be a good idea to rethink it, just because cramming only really works with minimum units lol

Also, if you're doing a major work - it is a good idea to think of having a backup for that subject. (Seeing history extension in your list :) )

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Not really. I mean if you think about it, you are learning more about that subject - and having a professional take you through something you may potentially enjoy rather than go through it yourself.
I'm not saying it's what everyone wants to do, but if you're the type to procrastinate away time anyways, why not just sit down and do an extra subject? At least you're learning something.

15 units is definitely achievable if you're good at time managing - and 15 units IMO anyways, would be deeply rewarding. However, if you tend towards more the disorganised side, it might be a good idea to rethink it, just because cramming only really works with minimum units lol

Also, if you're doing a major work - it is a good idea to think of having a backup for that subject. (Seeing history extension in your list :) )
Like I said :) I never said to not do 15 units. I know it's achievable. But I ultimately don't agree in doing that in such an important year when you have no idea what might happen, maybe eventually just too much workload.

And with the whole passion thing, I have thought about it, I can chase it in university :)

Fiction

HSC
Like I said :) I never said to not do 15 units. I know it's achievable. But I ultimately don't agree in doing that in such an important year when you have no idea what might happen, maybe eventually just too much workload.

And with the whole passion thing, I have thought about it, I can chase it in university :)
Each to their own~
Idk, how I interpreted it was that HS = great opportunity to learn stuff because it's practically free lessons, with a professional, that's handed to you on a silver platter. Why wouldn't you seize it? You can always drop units if you feel you're under stress/ if something pops up during HSC. But you can't exactly pick up more units once the year starts.

teridax

HSC
N/A

p0llex

HSC
Also, our school teaches latin really early, so it's basically been so far just a matter of memorising everything, which I'm good at. Have you done latin?
I do 13 units including latin and latin extension and I don't find that they take up much more time than any other subject - pretty much the only preparation I've been doing for my trials is memorising the translations, and as long as you can do that then your work in class should be enough to cover the rest of it (apart from some vocab practice perhaps).
Latin extension itself is much better than continuers - texts are more interesting (I don't think they're changing for you), translations are no more difficult, and way less than half the amount of translation you do for continuers. I would definitely recommend doing it, it's easily my favourite subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)