1st n 2nd line of defenses (1 Viewer)

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
they would just give you the same respone. Also i'm not breaking any rules. Am I?

bio_nut

HSC
I dont think what you said fits with the definition of rote learning....

Rote learning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From what i understand rote learning=doing the bare minimum to pass.

Suppose a students spends effort and time to study extra biological facts that is not required to "work it out" in the HSC, and therefore the student is learning "unnecessary info", from my point of view, this act does not encourage rote learning in anyway, if we look at its definition.

That is a reflection of your own personal study preference/ strategy. So the correct verb to use in place of "teach" should be suggest.
I think you'll find most people don't regard the wikipedia definition as how they regard rote learning.

No, I don't suggest, I teach, as I teach them how to use the knowledge necessary (which is minimal in HSC Bio) to solve a wide range of problems. A lot of the kids used to just learning and regurgitating facts without understanding struggle with this.

Lol, don't try correct my English, you just said yours is poor, and "suggest" is not at all correct.

I'm guessing you didn't have a job or anything in your HSC if you had the time to go beyond what is required instead of spending far less time honing your biological application skills?

Not everyone has that luxury, though I have to say most kids on here are of a certain background that don't tend to work well into uni... lol

bio_nut

HSC
His dp is funny, it's silly? My god, seems you were one of those boring people who just studied all of their hsc...

Get a sense of humour.

Anyway guys, the point is that you shouldn't be overwhelmed by all that info, it's not necessary (though it won't hurt, unless you're short on time...).

If you need some help, just let me know, am almost finished uni exams, then will get back to you. :)

NewiJapper

HSC
k02033 memorise thongetsu's avatar! It's the application of bio, know that and you will get a band 6.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Because others are not pussies. This is the internet.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Umm yeah, your mother and I are in a symbiotic relationship, known as commensalism.

k02033

HSC
I think you'll find most people don't regard the wikipedia definition as how they regard rote learning.
What is the definition of rote learning that you believe most people use?

Lol, don't try correct my English, you just said yours is poor, and "suggest" is not at all correct.
I am not attempting to correct your english, i was trying to correct the idea you were trying to put forward. Using the word "teach" means whatever you convey is going to be true and should be adopted by all your students. You obviously shouldnt be doing that with your own bias preference. In fact, quality teaching is about adapting to the cognitive and learning style of your students, and teaching from their point of view.

I'm guessing you didn't have a job or anything in your HSC if you had the time to go beyond what is required instead of spending far less time honing your biological application skills?
not true, i was and still am a tutor.

I have to say most kids on here are of a certain background that don't tend to work well into uni... lol
Thats a terrible generalization.

Last edited:

k02033

HSC
His dp is funny, it's silly? My god, seems you were one of those boring people who just studied all of their hsc...

Get a sense of humour.

Anyway guys, the point is that you shouldn't be overwhelmed by all that info, it's not necessary (though it won't hurt, unless you're short on time...).

If you need some help, just let me know, am almost finished uni exams, then will get back to you. :)
You can obviously separate humor into 2 categories, mature and immature, guess which category your friend belongs in? You guys are in yr 12 and beyond, show some basic manners and maturity.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Bio nut did her HSC in 08...

Also never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I WILL CLING ONTO MY CHILDHOOD FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!
[youtube]f9uo98lORhw[/youtube]

This video is epic.

SERIOUSLY, WATCH IT!

Last edited:

ibbi00

HSC
cell death to seal off pathogen, the process where white blood cells excrete nitric acid to kill nearby cells in an infected area, creating a wall of dead cells (cyst) around the pathogen, isolating it from its food supply. in time the pathogen involved dies, and disease is prevented.
Where the hell did you get nitric acid from? Citation or gtfo.

the interaction between T cells and B cells allows the production of antibodies. this interaction comes about by 2 mechanisms.
1. T cells produces a soluable factor (cytokine) after interaction with an antigen. B cells that comes in contact with this soluable factor begins to differentiate into plasma cells that produces antibodies.
2. direct cellular contact between the T cells and B cells once again triggers the antibody production response.
'Cytokine' is the broader term. Interleukin is the more specific term for the signaling chemicals used by white blood cells, etc.

I just like to be picky xD, otherwise you covered the process pretty good.

sinophile3

HSC
Heheheh, bio_nut this is the exact same thing that katie_tully and dp204 had in an earlier thread. Katie said that answers should be succicnt and direct, whilst dp argued that answers should be large and try to hit as many 'mark criteria' as possible. See my blog:

Scattergun Method of answering questions - Bored of Studies

I steadfastly believe spam answers work best, its how I got my 90+.

Of course, spam answers won't work if everyone did them..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)