• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

1st person or 3rd person? that is the question (1 Viewer)

greenblur

HSC
N/A
Is it better to write in 3rd person when your character is about to die or can you actually write this in 1st person?

jamesfirst

HSC
Both sounds sophisticated when written good. This girl wrote her story and got 19/20 for her first task, which was creative writing.

But then again I know people who got high writing in 3rd person.. Just really depends I guess.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Third person is usually easier to write in, so if you are at all unsure, it is definitely the way to go.

It is possible to have the main character die, and still have it written in first person, however, it is very hard to make it work. And often you need a third person epilogue to tie it together.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Just write what you're comfortable with. I have met very few who can pull off the first person, protagonist is going to die, story.

FrozenSky

HSC
Personally I would do first person, because it would make it easier to adapt your story into a letter,diary etc...

Interdrama

#wang
HSC
First person is limited because once your character dies, your story ends. You can't describe his/her surroundings, or other people's interaction to his/her death without switching POV.

anonhello

HSC
First person is limited because once your character dies, your story ends. You can't describe his/her surroundings, or other people's interaction to his/her death without switching POV.
I agree, and I've written a story from 1st person perspective but just as the character died so did my story, it wouldn't work if the story begins that way in 1st person though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)