1st year subjects (1 Viewer)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
heeey, i'm picking my 1st yr subjects, and basically i don't have any compulsory commerce subjects in comm lib. so far i've got micro/macro, 2 govt units, 1 jap, 1 writing. that leaves 2 left. i'm either doing accounting 1A/1B or two outta ECMT1010/ECMT1020/ACCT1003/ACCT1004/MKTG1001
(i know i won't major in accounting, but i don't know how useful 1003/1004 are, and i'd be able to get 1001/1002 accredited if i transfer into commerce)

i'd like to keep my options open to transferring into either com/law or eco.soc.sc/law... all my units so far are pretty humanities based so i'm kind of scared since i wasn't very humanities based at school. and i think i'd miss maths but i'm not too fussed if it won't be useful in a govt/econ double major.

basically i'd like to know how much maths is involved in those units, and which ones are easier to get good marks in because i'd really like to get good first year results just to keep my options open.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
ohhh you're so right i totally didn't read what i need for economics 2nd year.
i'll do ecmt1010 and then decide 2nd semester later.
whoa. crisis over.

and the science ones i can do any time in the 4 years

does anyone know how difficult it is to get a distinction average with the econ/govt/ecmt/japn units?

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
hi Toodulu..are we meant to decide our subjects NOW???
I got a booklet from USYD on 5th JAN it lists every subject..so yeah do we need to decide now??

:confused: :(

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
are you planning on doing comm lib?
because if ur doing just a straight commerce i don't think you need to pick anything.

and we have aaaaaaaaaaaages till we have to decide i'm just being.. errm, bored :p plus i'm stacks indecisive, don't want to do it on the day.

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
I am just doing commerce...but yeah..i want to do accounting..so to become a recognised Charted Accountant we need specific subjects...right? :confused:

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
yeah the commerce handbook has the necessary units to be taken to fulfill the CPA/CA program.

Accounting major
acct1001 Accounting 1A
acct1002 Accounting 1B
acct2002 Mgm't Accounting A
acct3002 Mgm't Accounting B
acct2001 Financial Accounting A
acct3001 Financial Accounting B

commercial law units
claw1001 Commercial Transactions A
claw2002 Corprations Law
claw3001 Australian Taxation system

electives
finc2001 Corporate Finance
infs2000 Business Information systems
acct3004 Auditing

(note: to do some of these units you need to do ecmt1010 and ecmt 1020)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
ohh if ur just doing commerce.. i think you do the compulsory economics/econometrics/accounting subjects

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Thanks Toodulu.
I'd call em tomorrow and ask for the actual "handbook" for commerce...dunno if i have the correct one.

sif not 99

i would do acct 1a and 1b for sure

I am in comm lib and i did all the comm pre reqs apart from Biz Info Systems (screw that subject to hell) plus two government units - mad degree so flexible =) and metrics B

you can also watch your fellow accounting tute mates with mire as u tell them you "choose" to do the subject

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yeah? is it that helpful because i'm not planning on majoring in accounting.
how about the management accounting units?

HelenN

HSC
hey guys.. i am facing the same problem here with choosing units.. i'm enrolled in comm liberal as well this year and i only know one thing for sure: i wanna major in management....

now i duno what the other major i wanna do... all the govt subjects sounds soo interesting but majoring in two general thingys is not a very wise choice many have said.. and it makes sense in a way..

so

specific majors r something like finance and accounting..

to hell with finance..

.. so that leaves accounting.. >< doh! i choose comm liberal to be flexible.. and majoring in accounting kills first year...

.. so i'm a fair bit annoyed..

what do u guys think?

Last edited:

HelenN

HSC
btw toodulu.. if i'm not majorin in accountin i am also tossin up between management accountin and 1a 1b...

management accoutin sounds so much more interesting and usefull.. but then ihvaen't ahd access to that much info except a brief paragraph on website...

does anyone know where i can actually get some info on what assessments have been for different subjects???

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yeeah i don't know.. if i do the junior management accounting unit dealies, then i can't do any more accounting units. and there are senior management accounting units that you could pick after 1A and 1B. i guess i might as well do them :confused:

hey helen, email the usyd people and ask them what they think will go well with a management major. maybe even just for now you could just pick what you're interested in, and then decide on what you're majoring in later, since there are spaces for extra electives in the degree.

HelenN

HSC
i've asked quite a few ppl actually.. most of them reckons it's how well u do (blah balh balh) .. the scattered others have various opinions... so i guess there really isn't any formula to it..

this one person suggested management and IR and HRM.... what the>>>>> that is the worst advice i have ever hear i reckon.. why the hell would u want to do two majors that basically overlaps by so much... shakes head

so anyway.. yea ur right about accounting.. i think i'll end up doing the major in accountin which means my first year is killed..

i'm thinkin with macro and micro ... u need it to be recognized in one of the professional accountin orgs.. but not the other.. so is it worth it doing it?? i personally cbb cuz it looks and sounds boring.. plus the fact that i basically spent half my hsc year doing it in eco...

so what r u majorin in toodulu? ... or have u mentioned before and i read the thread at 1am this mornin and didn't realise...

ShAdow_FaX

HSC
hey is it really unadvisable to major in both management and IR/HRM??? why is that cos i was thinking bout doing that but now i'm confused?!

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
really? well i asked the finance guy if i could do it with government, and he gave me a straight out no. and then i asked the government dude what i should combine it with, and he said economics straight away. i think i just asked more direct people?

i never did any social sciences at school so i don't really know about micro/macro.. but i looked through the macro textbook, and it looks alright
i'll probably major in government and economics. that's apparently a good combination, but i want to sus out commercial law and i suppose i shouldn't rule out accounting. and i'm also going to major in japanese as well.

hmm. enrolment tomorrow. i should probably decide. and also get some passport photos done too.

HelenN

HSC
ah well jus for me i guess i would like to have at least two different directions .. if you r really keen in the direction of management and hrm then doing a lot of the subjects in there means that it'll place you at an advantage over ppl who only di dthe one major and therefore not as much units in that field as you :)

enrolment tomorrow >< at least we can always change our subjects around ...

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
i am thinking of accounting....and finance...and management ...and yeah i thought about Human resource management...

oh well...since we get to choose our majors next yr so i reckon that'd gimme a bit of time to decide.

but i dunno about the ELECTIVE..i mean there are quite a few..so i don't know which one to pick :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)