1st year UNI how to study?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Im a first year student and i wanted to know how to study for the quiz and exams

Do i make notes of the textbook + do the work given each week + textbook questions then exam period go over my notes? Is there like anything else i can do such as worksheets or practice quizzes or a better way to write notes?

Is there work assigned to you in lectures or just tutorials?

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't recommend working off a textbook.

Go to the lectures and tutorials and see what is being taught.

THAT is what you should learn.

HSC
Okay so basically you believe i should make notes from the slides which is basically what we do during the lecture anyway + use the textbook kind of as a supplementary resource. Week 2 is when the tutorials start hopefully it answers my questions.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Summarise the lecture notes every week into words you understand. Then, if you want and/or have time, try and learn the important stuff by memory. Listen to what the lecturer says is important, or hints at; you can usually tell.

If you can get the content out of the lecture slides and into a new organised document, you're doing better than most.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay so basically you believe i should make notes from the slides which is basically what we do during the lecture anyway + use the textbook kind of as a supplementary resource. Week 2 is when the tutorials start hopefully it answers my questions.
Yep, pretty much.

The tutes will really let you suss out what is expected of you.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
At the end of the day ur lecturers write the exam so their stuff is more relateable in an exam (lecture notes, workshop sheets)

HSC
workshop is the same as tutorial right?

RishBonjour

HSC
Is it fine if you haven't done any study until after your first lecture? (4 months break of no maths or anything) Or will I have a hard time revising some stuff during uni?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it fine if you haven't done any study until after your first lecture? (4 months break of no maths or anything) Or will I have a hard time revising some stuff during uni?
Only you can tell yourself that to be honest.

Working through the tute questions properly beforehand would be a good place to start (so in reality, you're in class to discuss the questions [as opposed to doing them] and confirm the answers). After that, expanding on the lecture content is also a good habit.

See if you can study in a way which helps you understand the content rather than memorise it. Most uni exams don't lend themselves to rote learning so you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't.

RishBonjour

HSC
Only you can tell yourself that to be honest.

Working through the tute questions properly beforehand would be a good place to start (so in reality, you're in class to discuss the questions [as opposed to doing them] and confirm the answers). After that, expanding on the lecture content is also a good habit.

See if you can study in a way which helps you understand the content rather than memorise it. Most uni exams don't lend themselves to rote learning so you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't.
yeah, everyone says that. Hopefully works out fine :)

HSC
So there is no tutorial worksheets till the tutorials start next week right?

funstudy

HSC
So does making notes of the lecture slides help consolidate knowledge? Should we be making notes of the textbook too?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So does making notes of the lecture slides help consolidate knowledge? Should we be making notes of the textbook too?
Lecture notes are the BARE minimum.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the lecturer will talk about much more than what is on the slides. It's up to you as a student to decide what is important enough to note down and what to ignore.

Notes from a textbook is generally only useful if your lecturer is incompetent. It's more useful as a reference or a source to get another explanation of a particular concept.

p3rf3ction

HSC
I wouldn't recommend working off a textbook.

Go to the lectures and tutorials and see what is being taught.

THAT is what you should learn.
so other than units that require readers, all we have to do is use lecture notes and the stuff given in tutes? So no need to even buy a textbook?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
honestly don't do much before an exam... just brush up on a few things, nothing drastic...

you honestly have 12 f**king weeks to prepare for an exam... should be able to nail it, unless of course you have found the unit hard... in that case really recommend getting some real study down...

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
so other than units that require readers, all we have to do is use lecture notes and the stuff given in tutes? So no need to even buy a textbook?
Generally a textbook is quite useful but in most cases, it isn't necessary.

HSC
yeah im feeling the same for the textbooks, i don't understand why you have to buy it if the lecture notes are basically summaries of the textbook (thats what i believe at least), why do some people buy it for then? is it to extend your knowledge or to do the excercises given?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah im feeling the same for the textbooks, i don't understand why you have to buy it if the lecture notes are basically summaries of the textbook (thats what i believe at least), why do some people buy it for then? is it to extend your knowledge or to do the excercises given?
Because it's more in depth.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
It wouldn't hurt to read more in depth :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)