2 Days to go... :D (1 Viewer)

chriskoss

HSC
Just need to clarify something a teacher told me.

You don't have to go into any depth at all with related case studies do you.. For example,you don't need to include QANTAS's financial figures or coca cola's marketing mix, you just have to say '' as seen with CCA/QANTAS.. bla bla''
right?

Zeestylez

HSC
i would say so because ive seen in a sample answer, the person just wrote for example cocoa-cola....... in only 1 sentence and got a band 5-6 for it!

As long as u show the knowledge..

soap~

Legal Eagle
HSC
My impression is you should at least be able to specify how your case study specifically relates (ie, "such and such reacted to soandso by" or "such manages blah by foo")

35 hours guys!!!

Lebstr

HSC
u are allowed to use a made up busines, cause how do they know if you made it up or not.

chriskoss

HSC
I believe they mark on the case studies according to the syllabus.

So like, theres coca cola, qantas, woolworths, dominos, billabong

Im pretty sure if u make 1 up they just wont count it but wont mark u down

Maystar

HSC
As far as I know, any case study is good.
CCA, Qantas, Woolworths etc just tend to be common ones.
You could make one up...but it is of course safer to go with common ones as markers tend to know which ones are real. If they suspected you had made one up I'm almost entirely certain they wouldn't go and look it up or something but would mark you on how well it suited the question. Of course, the thing about essay marking is that no matter how well it is marked to follow the marking guidelines, it IS subjective, so if you make up some shotty example like Pete's Pies or Pedro's Plumbing you aren't likely to pull it off.
So I would say it is best to stick to more common examples or if you make something up, don't make it blatantly obvious and have some convincing business names ready beforehand - if and only if you have to resort to it.
On that note, you can find some pretty decent case studies here:
http://afrbiz.com.au/

Alvik

HSC
chriskoss said:
I believe they mark on the case studies according to the syllabus.

So like, theres coca cola, qantas, woolworths, dominos, billabong

Im pretty sure if u make 1 up they just wont count it but wont mark u down
Nowhere on the syllabus does it say that you must study a certain business.

Stop making people paranoid.

You can do any business you want as long as it relates to the question. I have like 8 different business', each relating to different parts of the syllabus.

And if you do resort to making something up, make it at least slightly realistic. And don't make up a company. Use a real business and give a fake example of what the business does.

uebel

HSC
ok guys i need some help with solvency/ gearing/ debt:equity ratio.

one textbook says

long-term debt
owners equity

and the other says

Total liabilities
Owners equity

which is it???

thanks guys

Maystar

HSC
uebel said:
ok guys i need some help with solvency/ gearing/ debt:equity ratio.

one textbook says

long-term debt
owners equity

and the other says

Total liabilities
Owners equity

which is it???

thanks guys
Debt to equity ratio = Total liabilities / Owners Equity.
I think the long-term debt one was just to get you to understand that the debt-to-equity ratio measures solvency...but for purposes of simplicity, all liabilities count (for example, what if the business closed down in the next month? The debt-to-equity wouldn't have been able to predict that if it didn't count total liabilities.) If that was your business you'd feel a bit silly.

Gloves

HSC
Hey guys, I was just wondering with the case studies, they only need to be applied to section IV right? Section III doesn't require any case studies. Is that true?

Maystar

HSC
Alvik said:
Nowhere on the syllabus does it say that you must study a certain business.

Stop making people paranoid.

You can do any business you want as long as it relates to the question. I have like 8 different business', each relating to different parts of the syllabus.

And if you do resort to making something up, make it at least slightly realistic. And don't make up a company. Use a real business and give a fake example of what the business does.
Agreed (except I'm not that organised with the case studies...)
Just a minor suggestion though, if you do use the real business and make up an example, be careful that it doesn't clash with what a real business does. Lots of people do CCA for example, so you wouldn't want to make up anything about that in case you're wrong as many people do that and markers would tend to know that business quite well. Whatever works for you works, but I'd really just go to a website and get a few small case studies that can tie into the syllabus.

partymaster01 said:
am i fine with westfield?
Yes, I've seen full marks for Westfield, so you're fine with that as long as you can tie it in well with the question. I haven't done Westfield so I can't personally help, but I did find this on the net.

Question 29 in the 2002 paper says:

Outline the reasons why businesses expand globally, and critically analyse the political, social/cultural and management issues that arise with a global workforce.

You can download the 20/20 response here (haven't read the whole thing myself): http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...040/files/samples/qexemplar/qexemplar_q29.pdf

Having said that, you would be fine with any business, as long as it suit the question. For example, you wouldn't use Westfield if you wanted to talk about exclusive distribution channels. You want to be able to cover all 5 topics with a few case studies, unless you can find one that does EVERYTHING.

Maystar

HSC
Gloves said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering with the case studies, they only need to be applied to section IV right? Section III doesn't require any case studies. Is that true?
Yes, that's right.

In section III they basically provide you with a "case study" and you write the report about it. That's about applying your knowledge to provide recommendations to the example business they give you.

Section IV is about applying your knowledge and using case studies to back up your points. You only need case studies there.

You know that bit above the questions in the exams? Where it says, "in your answer you will be assessed on how well you:..." Well the only difference between section III and section IV is that section III
  • must be in the form of a business report
  • uses the information provided, as opposed to section IV which requires "relevant business case study/studies"

Gloves

HSC
Okay nice. Do you think I could revise the entire course today? I haven't even started studying for Business Studies. Am I screwed?

Maystar

HSC
Gloves said:
Okay nice. Do you think I could revise the entire course today? I haven't even started studying for Business Studies. Am I screwed?
Well you won't be facing the gallows, but you aren't going to be king of the hill either...I'd just study as much as I could and try to get a good understanding of all the topics. Also it depends of course on how much you already know. One suggestion I have is to go the the BoS website and do their online multiple choice thing, and just do all of them. It tells you which ones you got wrong so you can go and fix them up. Once you've done that I would make a very short summary of the business course...sorry, I'd love to help but I've got to save myself too.

You probably don't need me to tell you this, but you should learn from the experience ;) the HSC isn't everything after all.

Gloves

HSC
Nah, I'm not too worried. I've been doing this sort of thing since my half-yearlies because I work harder when I'm under pressure and I learn more. Also, I already know most of the course. I'm just gonna revise all the info, learn the syllabus, and get a few case studies down pat. I should be okay.

Good luck to you player!

Maystar

HSC
Yeah, you should be alright then. I used to do the same thing but I was always terrified that I wouldn't get everything done and consequently I sat in exams and forgot tiny details which wrecked my confidence. However I have just spent about a week teaching myself the business course - no it wasn't taught to us very well. I've been pulling long days and in the past 2 days I did 420 marks worth of past questions...oh yes...and today I'm just getting the case studies and do very brief plans for past reports and essays. And then I'm not going to worry about it, or at least that's what I tell myself...I'm a chronic worrier.

Thanks and good luck to you too!!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Is it feasible that they would require a finanical ratio for your business? Because it would be difficult to find information on say, the Inventory turnover ratio, or any for that matter.

mattmeadows

HSC
on friday in the area of study section what does it contain like your core texts and a few other comprhension texts

and what is in the mos on monday is that like the henry lawson stuff
any help appreciated
a run down would be great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)