2 quick questions! (1 Viewer)

mattstonestreet

HSC
Just wondering if any1 might be good enough to help me out with a few questions.

1. a wave file contains?

a. stero music
b. digital sounds
c. instructions for creating sounds on a sound card.
d. MIDI infomation

2. the number of available colours in an image is called its:
a. colour range
b. bit depth
c. resolution
d. palette

thankx..

JTN

HSC
1. A wave file contains?

B. digital sounds - I think,

(Instructions for creating sounds on a sound card. - sounds like the synthesizer in a sound card therefore talking about MIDI but someone might prove me wrong, lol)

2. The number of available colours in an image is called its:

B. bit depth - I think,

(Palette - the available colours that can be used in a image, I don't think it’s the number of available colours in an image)

There both very ambiguous questions and I'm probably wrong for both :)

mattstonestreet

HSC
Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree with you on the first question although its hard to go past palette for number 2 because the text book definition (the number of available colours for a graphic display or image) is so similar to the question.

JTN

HSC
mattstonestreet said:
Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree with you on the first question although its hard to go past palette for number 2 because the text book definition (the number of available colours for a graphic display or image) is so similar to the question.
yeah, if the text book says that then it probably true, and even if it isn't i think they have to take it in the HSC because its in a text book. (i dunno, one of my teachers told me that, they could of been wrong)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
palette: this is the number of colours that u are able to choose from to use in an image. pallete of colours : range of colours

bit depth: 8,16,32,64 bit colours.
i think that bit depth is also the same as colour depth; the number of colours that occupy a pixel to give it better quality.

thats why to calculate the size of an image, u use this formulae
-> resolution x bitdepth x 100 / 8 x 1024

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
1. a wave file contains?

a. stero music - No - WAV can be mono
b. digital sounds - The best answer, data must be digital
c. instructions for creating sounds on a sound card - No -The hardware handles that
d. MIDI infomation - No - That's MID/RMI format for you

a. colour range - No - What ? From Violet to Red ?
b. bit depth - 8-bit is 256 colours, 16-bit is 65536 colours ...
c. resolution - No - It is the number of pixels on the screen.
d. palette - No - It is the total range of colors supported by a computer graphics system, not directly related to an image.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
^for Q2), Palette is correct, thats what the Jacaranda textbook has ('palette is the number of available colours for an image')

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mattstonestreet said:
Just wondering if any1 might be good enough to help me out with a few questions.

1. a wave file contains?

a. stero music
b. digital sounds
c. instructions for creating sounds on a sound card.
d. MIDI infomation
B. It's a digital representation of analogue sound.

It's not A, because a wave file could have a single wave (ie. monoaural). It's not D because that would be a midi file. I'm guessing C is a bit ambiguous, but I think it's incorrect because that description fits a midi file better- ie. how to recreate the sound rather than the actual sound.

a. colour range
b. bit depth
c. resolution
d. palette

thankx..
B. As others have pointed out, bit depth is the factor which is how many colours are available for use in an image, whereas pallette is probably the colours used in the image. Resolution is size of image, and colour range... I'm not actually sure what the technical definition for this is.

EDIT: After thinking a bit.. bit depth isn't the number of colours available, but rather, it's the factor which can be used to calculate the number of colours- so based on that, I'd say the answer must be D.

Last edited:

mattyz

HSC
well if i was in a test it would b
1. b and
2. b
hmm but someone said it could be pallete come to think about it possibly i might check that up

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's just a technicality/wording issue which forces people to think a bit more before answering the question. I personally never used the word palette in IPT.

JTN

HSC
mattstonestreet said:
a. colour range
b. bit depth
c. resolution
d. palette

In computer graphics, a palette is the set of available colors.
( http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/palette.html )

Bit Depth - Number of distinct colors that can be represented

now if number and set are considered the same thing then it's pallette otherwise it could be bit depth.

It's the way in which the questions been worded but i think by looking at the definitions it's probably palette there looking for

What do you guys think?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm... I was thinking Palette because it's like a range of colours available, and that bit depth is USED to calculate the number of colours available, but isn't the actual number.

That's my thinking at least.

EDIT:
Bit depth is the number of bits used to store information about each pixel. The higher the depth, the more colors are stored in an image. For example, the lowest bit-depth, 1 bit graphics are only capable of showing two colors, black & white. This is because there are only two combinations of numbers in one bit, 0 and 1. Four bit color is capable of displaying 16 colors because there are 16 different combinations of four bits:
http://www.bergen.org/AAST/ComputerAnimation/Graph_BitDepth.html

To further enforce what I meant at the start of this post, I mean that to calculate the number of colours available, you use the bit depth figure.

Last edited:

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
mattstonestreet said:
a. colour range
b. bit depth
c. resolution
d. palette
It's bit depth everybody

Bit depth is the number of bits used per pixel, and directly refers to the number of colours.

A palette is the set of colours, so refers to the colours themselves not how many there are.

maskd

HSC
I believe that it's palette.

The question is asking the number of colours, not how many bits are used in each pixel.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ianc said:
It's bit depth everybody

Bit depth is the number of bits used per pixel, and directly refers to the number of colours.

A palette is the set of colours, so refers to the colours themselves not how many there are.
Didn't you contradict yourself there?

If the palette is the set of colours (available in the image), then that is the answer to the question.

Bit depth, like you said is the number of bits used per pixel, but this is NOT the same as the number of colours.

This is definitely a technical wording question; think of the variance as being:

My monitor is able to display 256 colours.
My monitor is able to display 8-bit colours.

Whilst both tell you pretty much the same thing, the first one actually tells you the NUMBER of colours rather than the exponential used to calculate the number of colours. Like you said yourself, the bit depth REFERS but isn't the actual number.

EDIT: Look at it this way, take the first sentence of "My monitor is able to display 256 colours." The number 256 answers the question of "What is the number of available colours?", but what is 256? 256 is NOT the bit depth because that would be 8; so therefore it's pallete. Sorry if this confuses you more ><

Besides, bit depth isn't a term exclusively reserved for graphics/image descriptions whereas pallete is (to the best of my knowledge).

Last edited:

DekarTyphon

HSC
Uni Grad
It's bit depth, as bit depth is the term used in IPT, and last time I checked palette is not. While both are technically correct, bit depth is a safer option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)