2002 UAI's (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by mp3mojo
not complainin...
jus sayin
btw, u guys reckon the uai cut-offs goin 2 rise dramatically from last yr, since most of this yr's candidates seems 2 B gettin higher marks than last yr
UAI = University Admissions Index . It's a rank, and if marks are generally higher it means you will need a higher aggregate to get a given UAI in 2002 than you needed in 2001. Whether this UAI then gets you into a course depends on supply and demand, not on the marks that were used to calculate it.

mp3mojo

soz, i didnt mean higher marks
i mean alot of ppl got high UAIs, so u reckon this yr's UAI cut-offs will rise dramatically?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
soz, i didnt mean higher marks
i mean alot of ppl got high UAIs, so u reckon this yr's UAI cut-offs will rise dramatically?
no ... the same amounts of people got the uais ... that is top 1% got 99+ ... top 10% got 90+ and so forth ... the cut-off *should* be very similar ... or it better be ...

mp3mojo

u serious?

cos i thought the new UAI system doesnt limit the nuber of ppl gettin a particular UAI
since if only the top 1% ppl can get 99 dat means there is a limited amount of ppl dat can get 99

am i rite?... so confused about the entire system :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
u serious?

cos i thought the new UAI system doesnt limit the nuber of ppl gettin a particular UAI
since if only the top 1% ppl can get 99 dat means there is a limited amount of ppl dat can get 99

am i rite?... so confused about the entire system :confused: :confused: :confused:
The UAI is a rank. Hence only a certain number of people can get over 99 every year. That doesn't change.

Standards referencing does not apply to the UAI. It only applies to HSC marks. Even though the HSC marks were inflated this year it has no effect on the UAI as UAC uses raw examiation results which get converted to scaled marks and then your UAI.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
nah...and unlimited number of people can get a high hsc mark due to standards referecning

RIGHT?

??? someone 2nd me...but im pretty sure im right
Under the BOS system, if everyone meets the Band 6 standard then everyone can get into band 6. Of course this will not always be the case. Yes you are correct with respect to HSC marks but with the UAI there is only a specific number of ppl who can get 99+ or 90+.

Dario

HSC
Originally posted by Christine
Stop Whinging people. I got 71.1 .

Laz said i'd get 85.5....

anyways, i'm thinking about doing it again.
That's not bad Christine, what did you need ? What Uni and what course were you wanting to go into ?

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by flyin'

no ... the same amounts of people got the uais ... that is top 1% got 99+ ... top 10% got 90+ and so forth ... the cut-off *should* be very similar ... or it better be ...
Thats not *entirely* true. The UAI is a rank of each person against everyone who completed the School Certificate, NOT the Higher School Certificate. That means that 99+ is more like the top 1.6% and the top ten % is about UAI 93.7-100.00

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by utopian731

Thats not *entirely* true. The UAI is a rank of each person against everyone who completed the School Certificate, NOT the Higher School Certificate. That means that 99+ is more like the top 1.6% and the top ten % is about UAI 93.7-100.00
I wouls say thet the no. of ppl who got 99+ would be more like 1.1 or 1.2 %. Not that many ppl would have dropped out from yr 10.

timmii

sporadic attendee
I think it was written somewhere that 90+ corresponds to 16% of HSC candidature.

You could also probably work it out to an extent. 80000 or so SC and 64000 HSC...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

seriously, would people who were going to get a uai of 99 drop out of school ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by timmii
I think it was written somewhere that 90+ corresponds to 16% of HSC candidature.

You could also probably work it out to an extent. 80000 or so SC and 64000 HSC...
i thinks ive read that too ...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
Yep...cant be 400 people with uais of 100.
Well... theoretically, if the top 400 people were all sitting on exactly the same scaled aggregate, they'd have to give them all 100. But that would never happen. :D

With regard to the distribution of UAIs:

2% of HSC candidates received a UAI of 99+
8% of HSC candidates received a UAI of 95+
16% of HSC candidates received a UAI of 90+
31% of HSC candidates received a UAI of 80+
45% of HSC candidates received a UAI of 70+
58% of HSC candidates received a UAI of 60+
69% of HSC candidates received a UAI of 50+

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

Its got nothing to do with what the *drop outs* would have got, because its a percentile rank, not a criterion based rank
i guess ... but i was refering to some earlier post ... where they said it was a percentile rank compared to all the people who did the sc with you ... and since some people didnt complete the hsc, the percentile rank for those that did finish *would* be higher ... which really isnt the case ...

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
all youre UAI's seem great. They definately overshadow my measly UAI of 76.95. Still i did jack and studied 3 hours b4 the HSC exam ( bad move let me tell you!) so ill be happy to get into science @ UNSW.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by YEAR11
congrats guys

how far off was Lazseeker?
have they released the new lazseeker based on 2002 results?

i'm getting my uai soon...:p

kaseita

hehe minai. maybe I shoulda memorised essays!
but I don't think I'd have the patience to do that!

anyway, my marks good enough to get into uni, so I'm happy!

guess I'll be seeing quite a few of you guys in uni - should be fun ;)

I just got back from taiwan - twas pretty good! lots of fun, and the comp stuff there is mad! but yea, anyway, I enjoyed myself - helped use up some of that free time you guys seem to have trouble using up

soz

Don't get me started on the English syllabus haha! I got 88, mostly i think because our teachers were at a loss as to what htey should be teaching us, this we were told off the record numerous times by our teacher, great base, eh. English and the HSC in general is like picking a number out of a hat and ranking NSW's youth into supposedly who's smarter than who

ooohhh just wait till u hear about our eng department !! they are incompetatnt to say the least and cannot return assessments in less than 10 weeks and they have absolutely no idea as to what they are asking us to do !!!!
visual representation my ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)