2005 History Extension Major Project Topics (1 Viewer)

Demandred

HSC
I did the French Revolution last year, it has a lot of good leads. There are the Marxists historians, the Revisionists and the Post Revisionists.

Abbeygale

HSC
At the moment, I'm reading biographies of Catherine De' Medici. Once I've done the background research I'll focus it a bit more- I'll probably look at her role in the St Bartholomew's Day massacre.

I'd be inclined to avoid any historical debate that has ever been branded a 'conspiracy theory', like the moon landing or FDR being aware of Pearl Harbour. It could be argued that one of the criteria to be considered a 'reputable' historian is that you don't believe any of them.

emo_chick

HSC
waterfowl said:
There was a documentary on ABC last night about Marie Antoinette, and it was saying how she really wasn't as bad a person as history/people remember her. The main reason she is remembered as a bad person is because the French hated her - they all thought she was a dirty Austrian spy, they really hated her, it's kind of sad the poor girl.
Anyway just thought I'd add that in, in case you wanted to concentrate on a personality.
"Marie Antoinette - Eveil bitch, or just misunderstood?" :p
Wow..sounds pretty interesting. Thank you for your help. I will definetely look into it..i wanted to do a personality if i couldnt focus on anything controversial and i didn't want anyone too common like JFK. Thank you :)

emo_chick

HSC
shelley said:
yep sure umm grab me on msn sometime and ill send over some abbreviated notes on what the topic is, where u should look and ill scan sme of teh shorter not commercially easily avalible stuff for u if u like....if got the dabate in short hand cos it was a core part of my course...haha hopefully u remeber who i am on msn...the uni girl who asked u about teh dot pionts of modern syllabus!
oh yes..how can i forget you. you like history and you study it at uni..!?! thank you :)

Gwenavere14

HSC
Medieval

I'm looking at Medieval history and I'm also doing Ancient and Modern history... what I find is that people who do modern history genrally end up doing something in Ancient History and vise versa for Ancient People. As for those doing both they usually end up in the middle.

I suggest that mabey you look at something opposite from the course you doing and start there because that way its a totally different ground of research that would hopefully be interesting

waterfowl

HSC
Gwenavere14 said:
I'm looking at Medieval history and I'm also doing Ancient and Modern history... what I find is that people who do modern history genrally end up doing something in Ancient History and vise versa for Ancient People. As for those doing both they usually end up in the middle.
Really? I found that the people who do Ancient do ancient topics and the other way around, because they are interested in those time periods (hence why they chose that particular history).

waterfowl

HSC
Gwenavere14 said:
Really? well that blows my theory!
You never know, your theory might be correct in certain circumstances.

If someone is really stuck for ideas, try looking at some of the everyday, modern things you are interested in.
For example when I was trying desperately to come up with an idea, I started looking at my interests. When I came upon Austria, I remembered how I had wanted to know about their history when I was over there. That led me then to their royal family, which I eventually wittled down to Kaiser Friedrich III.

Korobushka

HSC
Techie said:
Roosevelt was not a communist :rolleyes: It was Washington's fault, not Hawaii, but there is a lot more evidence that it was simply an operational failure than a conspiracy. If you're going to do that topic, I'd strongly suggest you ensure you use reputable historiographical sources, rather than conspiracy theorists (eg. Mark Willey) who are generally less reliable.
hehe, I have my doubts about the topic i'm looking at being credible too. It's just interesting, so i'm going to research it a bit and see what I come up with. If I come to the same conclusion as you, then i'll probably, i dunno, just go along with it anyway, but yeah, you're probably right.

Might I ask as to these reputable histiographical sources you talk of? Where can I find some and compare for myself? :)

HSC
I want to do something regarding conscientious objection to the Vietnam War in Australia but I'm unsure of a question which fits that area as well as conforming to the syllabus. Any suggestions?

AJohnston1121

HSC
Not sure if minds a good idea but i'am doing.

How the Whitlam Dismissal affected the opinion of the public on the Australian Labor Party.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Gwenavere14 said:

I suggest that mabey you look at something opposite from the course you doing and start there because that way its a totally different ground of research that would hopefully be interesting
Really? well that blows my theory! [\QUOTE]

i do ancient....is late 17th century ancient history? :D

Gwenavere14

HSC
Your not serious????? Ancient History is Ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece, basically everything ANCIENT!!!!

teneale99

HSC
think outside the sq u live in

hey, im doin the black death- plague and pestilience in europe its retty grusome but very interesting...maybe u could do the hollocaust thru hittlers eyes, my friend is doin that n using his autobiography as a source...that sounds kinda interesting and maybe not very popular as everyone seems to do it thru the jews eyes etc. try the bad guy approach.
umm wat about history of prostitution? i read smething about it sumwhere (geishas) n stuff looked ok i pretty sure many ppl wouldnt think of that.
y dont u research ur family history in ur local area thats very poular apparently?
mmm what about the black rights movement? martin luther king nelson madella etc i was going to do that.
think outside the sq u live in! good luck
wat u think of my topic?

Plebeian

Gwenavere14 said:
Your not serious????? Ancient History is Ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece, basically everything ANCIENT!!!!
Ancient History generally finishes in 476 AD, the fall of the Western Roman Empire. Modern History doesn't begin until the late 18th century though (the French / American / Industrial Revolutions), so lesmiester_dj's stuck in the middle.

Korobushka said:
hehe, I have my doubts about the topic i'm looking at being credible too. It's just interesting, so i'm going to research it a bit and see what I come up with. If I come to the same conclusion as you, then i'll probably, i dunno, just go along with it anyway, but yeah, you're probably right.

Might I ask as to these reputable histiographical sources you talk of? Where can I find some and compare for myself?
The sources I used were:
US Investigations:
- Report of the Army Pearl Harbor Board (Grunert, 1944, US Army)
- Report of the Hewitt Inquiry (Hewittt, 1945, US Navy)
- Report of the Joint Congressional Comittee on Pearl Harbor (Barkely, 1946, US Senate)
- Report of Naval Court of Inquiry (Murfin, 1944, US Navy)
- Report of the Roberts Commission (Roberts, 1942, US Senate)

You can find the full text of these investigations at Ibiblio. It will take a fair bit of effort to get through them though, you'll really need to narrow down your topic first, because there is just too much to read otherwise.

Secondary scholars:
- Costello, J. (1994), Days of Infamy, Pocket Books
- Prange, G. et al (1986), Pearl Harbor: The Verdict of History, McGraw-Hill
- Rusbridger, J. and Nave, E. (1991), Betrayal at Pearl Harbor, Summit
- Slackman, M. (1990), Target - Pearl Harbor, University of Hawaii Press
- Stinnett, R. (2001), Day of Deceit, Touchstone
- Toland, J. (1982), Infamy: Pearl Harbor and its Aftermath, Methuen
- Willey, M. (2000), Pearl Harbor: Mother of All Conspiracies, Xlibris

Of these seconday sources, I found Costello, Prange and Stinnett the most useful and reliable. If you want to read it, my essay (full marks) is on my website
here.

waterfowl

HSC
sabrina123 said:
i want to do something on the berlin wall but am not sure on what aspect of it exactly...any ideas??
Maybe you could say why the governments of the time thought it was necessary, and maybe research to see if it had any benefits.

Sorry I don't have any documentaries to help you :p

Korobushka

HSC
Techie said:
Ancient History generally finishes in 476 AD, the fall of the Western Roman Empire. Modern History doesn't begin until the late 18th century though (the French / American / Industrial Revolutions), so lesmiester_dj's stuck in the middle.

The sources I used were:
US Investigations:
- Report of the Army Pearl Harbor Board (Grunert, 1944, US Army)
- Report of the Hewitt Inquiry (Hewittt, 1945, US Navy)
- Report of the Joint Congressional Comittee on Pearl Harbor (Barkely, 1946, US Senate)
- Report of Naval Court of Inquiry (Murfin, 1944, US Navy)
- Report of the Roberts Commission (Roberts, 1942, US Senate)

You can find the full text of these investigations at Ibiblio. It will take a fair bit of effort to get through them though, you'll really need to narrow down your topic first, because there is just too much to read otherwise.

Secondary scholars:
- Costello, J. (1994), Days of Infamy, Pocket Books
- Prange, G. et al (1986), Pearl Harbor: The Verdict of History, McGraw-Hill
- Rusbridger, J. and Nave, E. (1991), Betrayal at Pearl Harbor, Summit
- Slackman, M. (1990), Target - Pearl Harbor, University of Hawaii Press
- Stinnett, R. (2001), Day of Deceit, Touchstone
- Toland, J. (1982), Infamy: Pearl Harbor and its Aftermath, Methuen
- Willey, M. (2000), Pearl Harbor: Mother of All Conspiracies, Xlibris

Of these seconday sources, I found Costello, Prange and Stinnett the most useful and reliable. If you want to read it, my essay (full marks) is on my website
here.

Thanking you very much. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)