2005 Lawsoc Beginners Mooting (1 Viewer)

mraverage

Hi guys,

My name is Jim and I am coordinating Beginners Mooting this year with James.
Just to let you know that you can start registering your times, partners at http://www.unswlawsoc.org/static/competitions.php. If you have not been able to make one of the information sessions we have held, please email us at b_mooting@unswlawsoc.org and we can provide you with details and the handouts we used.

Hope you guys get involved with this great competition! :)

Cheers

sugared plum

HSC
hmm, is this the mooting which last week was advertised in the law tower, with posters pitched purely at heterosexual males?

great.

i hope the "guys" who like to "pick up chicks" with their "suits" have fun.

i guess i'd be taking it too far in saying participating in mooting/being a barrister is still very much a boy's club.

oh no sorry there is a place for women - mooting with a chick helps relieve those long nights u will be in the law tower in those tiny moot courts.

---
i think your comments and attitude are disgusting.

i ask you, if there were a sign out the front of a pub, "all white people: come have a drink", would you be surprised if Aboriginal people were offended/felt discriminated against/did not drink at that pub etc?

Even though Aboriginal people are now allowed to enter pubs/drink alcohol, and women are allowed to be barristers, it is NEVER appropriate to advertise these activites in a way which neglects to acknowledge the possibility of participation for all.

is a roflcopter
HSC
look i think that ad was just a marketing gimmick gone wrong

but it doesnt reflect on the attitude of Jim and James or of Lawsoc ok

These two people are willing to sacrifice a huge chunk of their time to voluntarily run a competition for the benefit of the first years and i think people should just forget about it and move on.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
sugared plum said:
hmm, is this the mooting which last week was advertised in the law tower, with posters pitched purely at heterosexual males?

great.

i hope the "guys" who like to "pick up chicks" with their "suits" have fun.

i guess i'd be taking it too far in saying participating in mooting/being a barrister is still very much a boy's club.
oh come on, SP, chill out.

obviously the poster was 'targeted' at a specific level of humour and a specific audience. i feel you're overreacting without considering the global approach taken by the LawSoc.

allow me to go thru this week's innominate articles:

- SPEAKERS' FORUM: WOMEN IN LAW SERIES 2005 - Liz Olsson SC;

- 2005 UNSW WOMEN IN LAW DINNER;

- LAW AS A CAREER: RAISING THE BAR - "a brief video "Raising the Bar", produced by the Victorian Women Barristers' Association. The video is an entertaining and inspiration look at life at the bar from a woman's perspective...";

do you notice any male-specific events? any male forums? any recognition of males at all? whilst that particular mooting poster was chauvinistic (no denying it) when you look at the whole scheme of things LawSoc is pretty much open and encouraging to females.
sugared plum said:
i think your comments and attitude are disgusting.
any grievances regarding the conduct or attitude of LawSoc officers can be directed to <A mailto="womens@unswlawsoc.org">Sally Heighway, Women's Officer</A>.

do you see a Men's Officer? in LawSoc? or is it assumed thru the same gender stereotypes which you complain of that men are not disadvantaged at all?

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
oh come on, SP, chill out.

obviously the poster was 'targeted' at a specific level of humour and a specific audience. i feel you're overreacting without considering the global approach taken by the LawSoc.

allow me to go thru this week's innominate articles:

- SPEAKERS' FORUM: WOMEN IN LAW SERIES 2005 - Liz Olsson SC;

- 2005 UNSW WOMEN IN LAW DINNER;

- LAW AS A CAREER: RAISING THE BAR - "a brief video "Raising the Bar", produced by the Victorian Women Barristers' Association. The video is an entertaining and inspiration look at life at the bar from a woman's perspective...";

do you notice any male-specific events? any male forums? any recognition of males at all? whilst that particular mooting poster was chauvinistic (no denying it) when you look at the whole scheme of things LawSoc is pretty much open and encouraging to females.
any grievances regarding the conduct or attitude of LawSoc officers can be directed to <A mailto="womens@unswlawsoc.org">Sally Heighway, Women's Officer</A>.

do you see a Men's Officer? in LawSoc? or is it assumed thru the same gender stereotypes which you complain of that men are not disadvantaged at all?
That's true - in fact I was thinking of going to that raising the bar talk but it seems like it is intended soley for women :(

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
SP i apologise and take full responsibility for that careless and offensive poster...
the context in which we produced the poster was 8:10am in the morning in the lawsoc office still half asleep with empty coffee cups in our hands... we are two guys so obviously guys' have their own sense of humour... we did not think of the consequences of the joke... all we tried to do was to try to put some humour into it given that notices for lawsoc events are usually pretty dry... im sorry that we offended you... it's just that guys have their own brand of humour and it's a fact that guys do joke abt these kind of things... but i assure you that the poster was not meant as sexist propaganda nor are we sexists in any way or form... we were simply dead tired in the morning and nervous in the presentation... sorry for offending anyone...

sugared plum

HSC
okay, i am talking about events which are advertised in a way which can be interpreted as to read that there is no place for a certain group of people. in this case, women/homosexual men

the events you posted frigid DO NOT say, "all women who want to be barristers come along" or something similar etc.

i am not discussing male officers/content of events and gender bias within this context.

what i am saying is that advertising should be INCLUSIVE.
in having a poster aimed at heterosexual males, lawsoc neglects to acknowledge the possibility for participation for women/homosexual men in beginner's mooting.

all i am asking is that in the future adverts should be directed towards ALL groups. disabled, male/female, heterosexual/homosexual, mature aged/school leavers, ATSI, etc etc
it is even possible to make different posters advertising the same event pitched at different groups.

i thank rukawasan for his apology.

Last edited:

mraverage

SP, James and I do apologise for how you feel. We both defiantely understand your position and will endeavour to make sure it does NOT happen again. Please be assured that neither LAWSOC, Competitions in general or us meant anything to be bias against a certain group. We would certainly LOVE for all groups to join and would hope they feel the same way. I hope our position is clearer and we thank you for your view :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
mraverage said:
SP, James and I do apologise for how you feel. We both defiantely understand your position and will endeavour to make sure it does NOT happen again. Please be assured that neither LAWSOC, Competitions in general or us meant anything to be bias against a certain group. We would certainly LOVE for all groups to join and would hope they feel the same way. I hope our position is clearer and we thank you for your view :)
I thought the poster was fine :)

Just so long as you do a version for the girls, to balance it out

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Perhaps a poster along the lines of, "Womens Officers : You know they've really got us by the balls. Come along to some Lawsoc events and find out why!"

stamos

sellout
HSC
hahaha that poster sucks

and sugared plum, it offends me when you insist that everybody has to be politically correct and boring

it's disgusting

*cries*

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
stamos said:
and sugared plum, it offends me when you insist that everybody has to be politically correct and boring
but stamos! the LawSoc isn't inclusive... *whingewhingewhinge*

i mean why don't they have Men In Law conferences? why don't they have a Men's Officer? why don't they ever discuss Men's Issues? *cries*

edit: in the spirit of inclusivity i quote some pieces of legislation:
s23, Acts Interpretation Act 1901 (Cth)

In any Act, unless the contrary intention appears:
(a) words importing a gender include every other gender
s8, Interpretation Act 1987 (NSW)

In any Act or instrument:
(a) a word or expression that indicates one or more particular genders shall be taken to indicate every other gender
so there we go SP, in law we're all included notwithstanding the specific gender terms used. :p

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
SP my dear, i never said they were. i'm just highlighting the fact that statutes can come all-inclusive by a simple provision in the Interpretation Acts.

neo: bahahhahaha - please spread some reputation before giving to neo agin. damn :(

sugared plum

HSC
my point was, the legislation you quoted is irrelevant.

and if you believe that the problem of gender neutrality/inclusiveness can be solved with a simple s/he you are grossly mistaken. see "justice gender and the family" by susan okin, p10ff

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
sugared plum said:
see "justice gender and the family" by susan okin, p10ff
but why? will you stay bitterly critical until everything around you is purged until it's all-inclusive and politically-correct?

such, m'dear, is highly unlikely.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
sugard plum should meet "jennylim" --

jennylim said:
in 1 timothy chapter 2, it says that women should not be in a position of authority over a man
-----------------
well, it's not really bad submission. and it's usually only in marriage. [...] if God commands it, then it's obviously what's best for us

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I think I should meet Jenny Lim.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
who is this jenny lim and is she hot? also does she like "guys in suits" with "scorching advocacy skills"? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)