2006 hsc paper aussie drama (1 Viewer)

ellirene

HSC
hey :)

im studying summer of the 17th doll and chapel periolous.
i understand the doll perfectally fine but not so much chapel.
but ANYWAY..

this is the 2006 hsc question

"the ideas in australian plays are dull. it is the images that brings them to life".

what on earth are the 'images' in the two plays??!

i for one have no idea.

any help would be appreciated - greatly!

ellirene

HSC
ok so ive written an introduction .

The ideas in Australian plays are dull in nature. The two plays, Summer of the Seventeenth Doll and Chapel Perilous are rich in Australian traditional heritage and could both be seen as having dull over all ideas of addressing their audience; although it can be argued, that the images deployed from this dullness brings the plays to life. Through theatrical techniques such as amplifying and doubling in Chapel Perilous; the overall idea of ‘unacceptance’ can be viewed a cliché; although the images we – the audience deconstruct it as [in this case homosexuality being wrong & societies negative views], the play begins to heighten In meaning which makes it more entertaining. Summer of the Seventeenth Doll has many traditional Australian ideas [mateship/dreams vs reality/ageing] and as well this becomes cliché-like. Although some images which expand off the ideas – ie mateship remain vitally Australian and are arguably the reason for a climax throughout the play, for example the fight between Roo and Barney were the audience can see the idea of mateship has been broken although In an entertaining way for any generation. The images in Australian plays assist greatly within the plays tedious nature and therefore heightened climax which brings them to life.

is this the sort of thing the question is on about ?:confused:

tanguyen

HSC
When I sat for the HSC last year, I personally defined "images" as symbols, themes presented to the audience, depictions of characters and basically what builds a play in terms of its performance and experience.

jazzmuzik

HSC
i just wrote a practice essay for this same question, i interpretted "images" to be all the visual elements onstage, that is set, casting, lighting, costumes, acting etc.
Ie. the performance of any play is made up by 2 parts, the script (themes ideas etc) and images (the visual elements on stage)

If you got this question in an exam dont freak out, just make make an interpretation and outline it in the introduction as in "i interpret "images" to be [whatever] and this is how it brings the ideas to lift etc etc..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)