• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2006 Unsw Co-ops (1 Viewer)

sunny

meh.
HSC
As in, some coop courses also care about how you are as a person in social skills and leadership skills, with less emphasis on marks (though still a factor), which was what the application and interview stages were meant to determine. If they didn't think you were academically capable they would've never given you an interview in the first place.

You might have noticed very few (if any) of the application and interview questions were academic related.

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
Yeah, i hated the question in the finance interview asking to estimate the number of boxes of cereal the australian population consumes in one year. I was like, wtf... and got really nervous.

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
Cant remember.. i just used my family as an example of an avg australian family and multiplied it by the population. could have answered it much better. did you get anything similar?

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
chloe169 said:
Yeah, i hated the question in the finance interview asking to estimate the number of boxes of cereal the australian population consumes in one year. I was like, wtf... and got really nervous.

hmm, i didnt like my computer science interview
like i like computer science, but i didnt like the guy that was interviewing me.

he asked really broad questions that i really couldn't answer.
they still shortlisted me n i ended up accepting the BIT, i don't know why he would thought....
n he was like why is BIT first in ur perf's n Comp Sc is second... n im like... i donno ?:confused: i just quickly made a dodgy application and had to make it in order. So i just randomly chose that order. i think someone told me BIT was better :s

sunny

meh.
HSC
haboozin said:
You can always throw a question back at them, asking them what they mean.

haboozin said:
they still shortlisted me n i ended up accepting the BIT, i don't know why he would thought....
Its not just up to your interviewer, there's a panel from CSE and the sponsors and they sit down a select the group together.

haboozin said:
n he was like why is BIT first in ur perf's n Comp Sc is second... n im like... i donno ?:confused: i just quickly made a dodgy application and had to make it in order.
A good answer would've been something along the lines of "I think BIT might offer more things I'm interested in, but I like <insert feature> about comp sci" - but of course that assumes you've done your research before you applied.

haboozin said:
i think someone told me BIT was better :s
If you are more technically oriented person (programming, hardware, technical details), then BIT will bore you. Though they share some common subjects, BIT is more management oriented.

Numero Uno said:
i got a random questions as well

eg
when was beethoven born ... ?
wtf ...
Did you mention anything about being a music expert in your application? Otherwise random questions can just be ice breakers.

Numero Uno

HSC
sunny said:
Did you mention anything about being a music expert in your application? Otherwise random questions can just be ice breakers.
Never Mentioned anything about music in my resume , apparently they were looking for people who think out of the box . shifty questions though..

Raginsheep

HSC
haboozin said:
hmm, i didnt like my computer science interview
like i like computer science, but i didnt like the guy that was interviewing me.

n he was like why is BIT first in ur perf's n Comp Sc is second... n im like... i donno ?:confused: i just quickly made a dodgy application and had to make it in order. So i just randomly chose that order. i think someone told me BIT was better :s
Apparently they had trouble finding people for BIT in the past......not that I'm implying anything about you haboozin....:p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Numero Uno said:
Never Mentioned anything about music in my resume , apparently they were looking for people who think out of the box . shifty questions though..
LOL that's so damn random then.

milkyways

HSC
I don't think I had any of them "random questions". Phew.

Sunny: But isn't the interviewer the representative from the sponsoring company?

I think the performance in the interview has more weighting than the written application and UAI (You don't exactly have to get above 95.7 as the brochure suggests, just as long as you get above the cutoff for the course).

sunny

meh.
HSC
milkyways said:
Sunny: But isn't the interviewer the representative from the sponsoring company?
Yep they are, usually someone from the HR/PR department. Theres quite a few sponsor companies for each coop program, and they all get to have a say in it, as well as your school/faculty coop representatives.

milkyways

HSC
Do they make a new Co-op brochure every year? I wouldn't mind having my face in it. :rofl:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
milkyways said:
Do they make a new Co-op brochure every year? I wouldn't mind having my face in it. :rofl:
I heard ugly people don't make it in. How discriminating of them.

milkyways

HSC
I would probably say that the accounting and finance Co-op scholars are the so called "better" looking ones. That's just my judgement though. :)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Eagles said:
Marks matters little.
if only they cared more about marks.. :chainsaw:
you can't run a company with marks! if you're a manager, or a team leader, you cant go to your collegues and ask them to respect you by pulling out your academic transcript and pointing out the fact that you're a straight-A student.

and co-op interviews are only given if you have the marks in the first place, so they are a very big factor. then at the interview, the company will see if you are what they want. its just the luck i guess, and each company rep m,ay have a different idea of what they're looking for.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
milkyways said:
I would probably say that the accounting and finance Co-op scholars are the so called "better" looking ones. That's just my judgement though. :)
thats not quite right. i do accounting, and i'm an ugly bastard.
so that just proves they don't select ppl based on looks and i guess hope for everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)