2006 USYD Law I (1 Viewer)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
ive only been to a few court observations, made a number of notes...unfortunately, i lost a set of my notes on the bus or something! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! and they were good ones as well! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...good thing a lot of stuff i still remember, and still comes back to jog my memory with the other court sessions...

oh yes, just one thing, is it advisable, when you quote a 'court session', to include the actual case name? e.g. smith vs kumar, etc...? what lvl of detail do we need for this essay?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Mountain.Dew said:
e.g. smith vs kumar, etc...?
not vs! just v :p

Anyways, hope to join you people next year, or in what will be your 4th year if i do grad law.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MiuMiu said:
I knew you'd come back and say that, but lets be realistic, you don't just get 99.6 by doing a lot of revision. Theres a fair amount of ability involved.
I knew you'd come back and say that, but let's be realistic, not each and every USyd law person is as able or as of high quality as your original post might imply.

the first week of university will be a bombshell to all those who think they will ace uni just like they did HSC... :)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Rafy said:
not vs! just v :p
as you can see, the amount of fundamental background revisiting and re-reading that i need to do well in USyd UG Law.

Frigid said:
the first week of university will be a bombshell to all those who think they will ace uni just like they did HSC... :)

oh dear...BRACE THE IMPACT!

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
MiuMiu said:
I knew you'd come back and say that, but lets be realistic, you don't just get 99.6 by doing a lot of revision. Theres a fair amount of ability involved.
Besides the medium of english, the HSC and law have nothing in common.

coulda

HSC
hm Mountain.Dew for the court sessions I didnt even have the full name of Crown v defendant..e.g. in Central Local Court...er....Ahmed Ghunaim v Police - IPB...I think in my essay (which is pretty stuffed up...im over the max word limit by um 1200 words...still need to go back to revise the ENTIRE thing) I just refered to the cases in the way: "There was a charge of assault made against Mr Ahmed Ghunaim...blah blah blah" OR "There was case in which.....blah blah blah"..yup tell me if its a very amateur way of doing it...but the prob with refering to the cases in full is that because there are not exactly published in law reports (and where can we go find the zillions of law reports just for this assignment?!), or from the information we can retrieve or required to read, in the footnotes we dont know how to write the proper full citation for each of the cases?

oh and since this is a Law forum...i might as well ask again..but gordo already knows..um, im doing Science(Advanced)/Law and i just realised that i have a clash between two lectures already on first day of uni...Mondays 9:00am CHEM 1901 - Chemistry 1A (Advanced) with LAWS 1006 - Foundations of Law....
and i have no science/law friends who can attend the chem lecture while i attend law lecture and we can swap notes etc etc...
and all those lecture times for chem advanced and law are fixed.....

so um what are your suggestions as to what i should do?! 'cause i think both lectures are equally as important as im doing a combined degree...how good are the CHEM 1901 and LAWS 1006 lectures?!
are notes from LAWS 1006 put up online? or not 'cause they have guest speakers something like that?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Oh holy fuck, guys I did the HSC, I know doing well in the HSC doesn't directly correlate with success at uni, and I know the HSC doesn't really relate to law. Im doing it for god's sake.

But to get 99.6 indicates a reasonable degree of natural ability. You can't walk into a first year USyd law class having gotten a UAI of 85 or even 90 and expect to be able to easily beat everyone. The cutoff indicates theres gonna be some competition.

We all like to be idealistic and say 'if you try your best you will kick ass', but being realistic, it just aint gonna work like that when you're dealing with people like that.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
I went to UNSW the other day. I got lost. Even with all the signage. I thought I was in Chinatown. :p

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
coulda said:
hm Mountain.Dew for the court sessions I didnt even have the full name of Crown v defendant..e.g. in Central Local Court...er....Ahmed Ghunaim v Police - IPB...I think in my essay (which is pretty stuffed up...im over the max word limit by um 1200 words...still need to go back to revise the ENTIRE thing) I just refered to the cases in the way: "There was a charge of assault made against Mr Ahmed Ghunaim...blah blah blah" OR "There was case in which.....blah blah blah"..yup tell me if its a very amateur way of doing it...but the prob with refering to the cases in full is that because there are not exactly published in law reports (and where can we go find the zillions of law reports just for this assignment?!), or from the information we can retrieve or required to read, in the footnotes we dont know how to write the proper full citation for each of the cases?

oh and since this is a Law forum...i might as well ask again..but gordo already knows..um, im doing Science(Advanced)/Law and i just realised that i have a clash between two lectures already on first day of uni...Mondays 9:00am CHEM 1901 - Chemistry 1A (Advanced) with LAWS 1006 - Foundations of Law....
and i have no science/law friends who can attend the chem lecture while i attend law lecture and we can swap notes etc etc...
and all those lecture times for chem advanced and law are fixed.....

so um what are your suggestions as to what i should do?! 'cause i think both lectures are equally as important as im doing a combined degree...how good are the CHEM 1901 and LAWS 1006 lectures?!
are notes from LAWS 1006 put up online? or not 'cause they have guest speakers something like that?
ah yes...the lecture clashes...

this is really really st00pid question, but how do i know if i have a clash with lectures or not?

me confused...:confused:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MiuMiu said:
Oh holy fuck, guys I did the HSC, I know doing well in the HSC doesn't directly correlate with success at uni, and I know the HSC doesn't really relate to law. Im doing it for god's sake.

But to get 99.6 indicates a reasonable degree of natural ability. You can't walk into a first year USyd law class having gotten a UAI of 85 or even 90 and expect to be able to easily beat everyone. The cutoff indicates theres gonna be some competition.

We all like to be idealistic and say 'if you try your best you will kick ass', but being realistic, it just aint gonna work like that when you're dealing with people like that.
keep your chill - no need to cuss and blaspheme.

of course i know what you're talking about. as you should know what i'm talking about.

but let me to put it to you this way: mature age students, some without a UAI at all, can still come in and have a great chance in flooring our ass.

PS: you never told me your UAI ;)

coulda

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:

this is really really st00pid question, but how do i know if i have a clash with lectures or not?

ohhh um i actually went to look up all the lecture/tut/prac times for each units of study and then modelled a timetable lol....and i just saw that there were obvious clashes..lectures at fixed times (with no other times available)

but apparently the timetable is out now?!!! *goes to check*

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:

If you have a clash, your timtable will say: "CLASH" ... It's quite advanced in that respect :) Also, should that system fail, you will the little square on the timetable allocated to each hour will actually have two classes in it - thus you will know that you have a clash.

For those who have clashes with the bitch-goddess morning Legal I lecture (ooops, showing my age there, I mean Foundations of Law), my advice is not to go to it until someone interesting is speaking, e.g. a high court judge, G Robinson QC or the attorney-general. When big guns like that come over to the campus, you simply have to listen. I remember when Kriby addressed our Legal I lecture, and since the course co-ordinator conducted my seminar directly after the lecture he came with her to the class. Do you know how bloody hard it is to air criticisms of a judge's lecture (it was on human rights and the law and those other particular hobby-horses of his) with him sitting in the corner???? Bloody difficult.

Anywoo - with clashes, too, and not having pals in the other lectures who can take notes, my advice is to break you hand, or acquire some other disability that prevents you from taking notes for the semester since then the uni will pay for someone to take notes for you - and the uni always chooses the nerdy ones who take the most comprehensive notes. :)

Welcome to USyd. I love you.
Hug,
MC xoxoxoxox

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
santaslayer said:
I went to UNSW the other day. I got lost. Even with all the signage. I thought I was in Chinatown. :p
its not that bad, jus depends where you go. Obviously commerce courtyard will be full of asians.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
ManlyChief said:
If you have a clash, your timtable will say: "CLASH" ... It's quite advanced in that respect :) Also, should that system fail, you will the little square on the timetable allocated to each hour will actually have two classes in it - thus you will know that you have a clash.

For those who have clashes with the bitch-goddess morning Legal I lecture (ooops, showing my age there, I mean Foundations of Law), my advice is not to go to it until someone interesting is speaking, e.g. a high court judge, G Robinson QC or the attorney-general. When big guns like that come over to the campus, you simply have to listen. I remember when Kriby addressed our Legal I lecture, and since the course co-ordinator conducted my seminar directly after the lecture he came with her to the class. Do you know how bloody hard it is to air criticisms of a judge's lecture (it was on human rights and the law and those other particular hobby-horses of his) with him sitting in the corner???? Bloody difficult.

Anywoo - with clashes, too, and not having pals in the other lectures who can take notes, my advice is to break you hand, or acquire some other disability that prevents you from taking notes for the semester since then the uni will pay for someone to take notes for you - and the uni always chooses the nerdy ones who take the most comprehensive notes. :)

Welcome to USyd. I love you.
Hug,
MC xoxoxoxox
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww how sweet! i feel greatly valued!
thank you MC!

Lainee

HSC
ManlyChief said:
Do you know how bloody hard it is to air criticisms of a judge's lecture (it was on human rights and the law and those other particular hobby-horses of his) with him sitting in the corner???? Bloody difficult.
Hahahah that would've been awkward. :p

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
coulda said:
aww thats so sweet!! *HUGS* (even though i dont know you but hey, im just being polite)

thanks for your very lovely welcome...

lol um i guess i was one of those "nerds" (but that's 'cause i actually am not allowed to do anything else to do in the holidays!!)..in fact, i think i was the first one to go observing courts..i went as soon as i got that assignment on enrolment day, and i read the entire textbook, some of the course notes, and went to borrow some books from the Law Library....and right now ive already started on that essay (not finished yet) but already over the max word limit (1000 words) by..er.1000!!

actually next to each paragraph of my essay i wrote "this majorly needs revising"
Your parents should be shot.

coulda

HSC
hehe um i opened a new thread on this in another forum...but i just realised how for some classes right after the one another, they are held in like pretty much opposite sides of the campus..e.g. i have to go from Wallace Theatre all the way straight to Carslaw/Eastern Ave Auditorium and on Mondays..i have to go straight from Carslaw to Education building for Law seminar...they're still quite a walk!! so what happens?! does this happen to lots of ppl? so everyone just like RUN all over uni to attend classes?! lol..

i mean, what will happen if i miss like the first 10 minutes (or even up to 15?!) of a law seminar?! i mean, they ARE pretty important...and will they take marks off if i'm always late?!

john31459

HSC
N/A
At my uni (and I'm gonna assume yours) lectures generally finish 5 minutes before the hour and start 5 minutes after the hour :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
coulda said:
hehe um i opened a new thread on this in another forum...but i just realised how for some classes right after the one another, they are held in like pretty much opposite sides of the campus..e.g. i have to go from Wallace Theatre all the way straight to Carslaw/Eastern Ave Auditorium and on Mondays..i have to go straight from Carslaw to Education building for Law seminar...they're still quite a walk!! so what happens?! does this happen to lots of ppl? so everyone just like RUN all over uni to attend classes?! lol..

i mean, what will happen if i miss like the first 10 minutes (or even up to 15?!) of a law seminar?! i mean, they ARE pretty important...and will they take marks off if i'm always late?!
lol

That's nothing, I used to have a class in Wallace then one straight after in the Economics & Business Building!

Lainee

HSC
coulda said:

:p Don't worry, it's crap but you'll deal with it. Foundations is always in Old Teacher's College or Education building.

Last year, I had 3 subjects where I had to go from Storie Dixon (building behind Institute/next to Werewether) to Old Teacher's College and then back to Merewether. Crappy that was, especially in summer when you turn up to classes red in the face and puffing.

So.. erm.. what was I trying to say again? Oh yeah, it's not that bad... :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)