• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I just got a letter from my local member, Kerry Bartlett, on his official letterhead, reading as follows:
Next month will be your first time to vote in a federal election.

Maybe you've given it a fair bit of thought or maybe you're not all that interested.

But there's a lot riding on this.

Last time Labor was in office they made a big mess of things (pretty much the same as Labor is doing in NSW).
  • They mismanaged the economy badly and that hurt many families and young people.
  • Home loan interest rates hit 17%, forcing many people to sell their homes.
  • They gave us the worst recession in 60 years and cost a lot of people their jobs.
  • Young people leaving school found it really hard to get an apprenticeship and even uni graduates found it hard to get worthwhile jobs. Instead of growing, real wages actually went down.

While you wouldn't remember this, it's worth asking your parents or others who do.

Our current government hasn't been perfect, but we've got Australia back on track. There's a lot more to do and we have strong plans to keep building Australia's prosperity.

• Australia is working hard to secure a global response to climate change that involves all major emitters
  • We will establish another 100 Australian Technical Colleges to provide quality senior schooling and trade training for young Australians.
  • Australia has among the highest rates of entry into tertiary education in the world and we are continuing to expand university access.

All these things can only happen if we keep the economy running strongly.

A return to Labor would be a big mistake and would put our progress at risk.

(signed)
Kerry Bartlett MP
This is being peddled on his official letterhead and being paid for with his printing allowance? Wow, he just lost any chance he had of getting my vote.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
I just got a letter from my local member, Kerry Bartlett, on his official letterhead, reading as follows:

This is being peddled on his official letterhead and being paid for with his printing allowance? Wow, he just lost any chance he had of getting my vote.
To be quite honest, that letter is tame compared to many of the others that I have come across (primarily those from Jackie Kelly (retiring Liberal member for Lindsay)), but your partisan outrage is misguided given that the printing allowance is abused by all sitting members.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Generator said:
To be quite honest, that letter is tame compared to many of the others that I have come across (primarily those from Jackie Kelly (retiring Liberal member for Lindsay)), but your partisan outrage is misguided given that the printing allowance is abused by all sitting members.
Hahaha she got drunk at the deb ball held for my school and told some of the girls to just go and get preggers :|

lol

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Generator said:
your partisan outrage is misguided given that the printing allowance is abused by all sitting members.
Touche, but I get quite angry at the misuse of incumbency by Labor people as well. (I wasn't even aware that members were allowed to use their allowances once the campaign has begun.)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Triangulum said:

I wish I didnt transfer to boring old Fraser, Canberra. Macquarie will be a fantastic victory. After redistribution, I think Kerry needs something like a .5% swing to keep the seat - not bloody likely.
He's a decent guy and a good member, but in terms of talent I dont think he can hope to compete with Bob Debus, who will no doubt make a fine minister.

Generator

HSC
N/A
K

katie_tully

All of our election runners make a note of telling us they used their own funds for the flyers.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
lol@Abbott. Public relations nightmare.

We haven't recieved any political propaganda which is nasty or plain false around here. I'm Macarthur, which is safe liberal so I can't say that's unexpected. Dissapointing though.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
I dont like many politicians, but Bob Debus is pretty awesome. How good was it when Peter Debnam made some allegations against him that the police had already dismissed as "spurious and groudless" and he went off and said "Step 20 metres outside and say that you dirt bag," or something like that.

Couldn't find on YouTube - Damn!
Lol I know. I still believe that that sparring effectively killed any chance Debnam had. He amazingly managed to fling Debnam's mud back in his horse face, while considerably improving his own credibility.
Didnt he say scum, worm or rotten or something? Anyway, top bloke.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
ABC's election map is up if anyone likes to think about seats geographically. The seat profiles also have lists of candidates so you can check out which wacky minor parties are standing.

Macquarie:
Kerry Bartlett Liberal Party
Bob Debus Australian Labor Party
Kirk Fletcher Liberty and Democracy Party
Leslie Kemeny Christian Democratic Party
Charles Liptak Family First
Carmel McCallum Greens
Michael Segedin Citizens Electoral Council
Tim Williams Independent

It's almost too hard to choose who to put last.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Generator said:
Hah!

More gold from Ms Kelly - In Kelly country, fear and not much loathing (June 2004).

Sadly, Ms Kelly's generalisation was, at least in part, based on fact, and not much has changed since 2004. This recent presentation prepared by the Sydney Morning Herald suggests as much.
Kelly is adamant: "No one in my electorate goes to uni."

The Liberal MP for Lindsay is blunt about the seat she describes as "pram city". It will be one of the "battlefields", four NSW seats that could well change hands.
hahahaha she hates us so much.

It's kinda true though, a lot of people at UWS aren't really from the penrith area...

That article before the 2004 election was amazingly blunt for a politician, I actually have more respect.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Did Kelly coin the term 'pram pushers'?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
lol I don't know, but she seems to hold the general disdain of her own community that the rest of the community holds... Judging by that short newspaper article and a few engagements she's done at my school etc, she was definately a representative for penrith :)

K

katie_tully

lol. Penrith. I feel a sense of belonging in my ex home town.

Not. Really.

Our local member is Independent but is basically stuck up the butt of the lefties anyway. She hasn't really done anything for anybody, she only won the last election on the back of preferences, she didn't get as many votes as the Lib guy. :(

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
katie_tully said:
lol. Penrith. I feel a sense of belonging in my ex home town.

Not. Really.

Our local member is Independent but is basically stuck up the butt of the lefties anyway. She hasn't really done anything for anybody, she only won the last election on the back of preferences, she didn't get as many votes as the Lib guy. :(

hahaha I knew there was something vaguely familiar about your personality! Penrith is a funny sort of place, but with none of the '20s charm of the upper mountains.

Anyway, i'll miss straight shooting strangely sexy Liberals like Kelly and Amanda Vanstone

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

Amanda Vanstone is hot

This election is way better than the last one. I think I am going to dig up the old 2004 election thread to see if there was anything as remotely awesome as the shenanigans of this year.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Heh.

katie_tully said:
This election is way better than the last one. I think I am going to dig up the old 2004 election thread to see if there was anything as remotely awesome as the shenanigans of this year.
2004 featured the incredible exploding Latham, but there was nothing on the level of Quahgate, Strippergate, Burkegate, Waxgate, Chasergate, Howardleadershipimplosiongate and the rest. I agree, this election is hilarious.

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I just read that Higgins (Peter Costello's seat) might theoretically fall in the event of a bad election loss for the coalition. Probably (in fact almost certainly) won't happen, but wouldn't it be awesome if it did? Without Costello there'd be a massive free-for-all for the liberal leadership, and we could just sit back and watch the fireworks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)