2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
Isnt she that chick that couldn't tell what was in the I.R laws in a local radio interview?

lol
It would have been cool to have a blonde bimbo in parliament.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Who remembers the kilometres of "OMFG HOWARD's RETIRING" wrap that was used to dress booths just 2 days ago? Well it seems that the (Labor) NT Chief Minister has just retired, mid-way through her term and just 48 hours after the ALP won a federal election based on retirement scares.

Did I mention the hypocrisy of it all?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
WAF said:
Who remembers the kilometres of "OMFG HOWARD's RETIRING" wrap that was used to dress booths just 2 days ago? Well it seems that the (Labor) NT Chief Minister has just retired, mid-way through her term and just 48 hours after the ALP won a federal election based on retirement scares.

Did I mention the hypocrisy of it all?
What's your point? They both suck teh ass. Especially Howard - and he was voted out. Lol.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
What's your point? They both suck teh ass. Especially Howard - and he was voted out. Lol.
Today, your actual Labor hero, Mark Latham describes Mr Rudd as a social conservative and an economic rationalist who will do nothing for progressivism in Australia.

Owned.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
jb_nc said:
Today, your actual Labor hero, Mark Latham describes Mr Rudd as a social conservative and an economic rationalist who will do nothing for progressivism in Australia.

Owned.
Mr. Rudd will have to make concessions based on what his party wants. But yes, I do agree with what Mr. Latham said. I've maintained all along that Rudd wasn't the best man for the job, I voted Greens in both the senate and HoR, I just maintain hope that the party will still be able to influence Rudd.

And in any case, he and his party are better than Howard and most of his party.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Mr. Rudd will have to make concessions based on what his party wants. But yes, I do agree with what Mr. Latham said. I've maintained all along that Rudd wasn't the best man for the job, I voted Greens in both the senate and HoR, I just maintain hope that the party will still be able to influence Rudd.

And in any case, he and his party are better than Howard and most of his party.
No he won't. The party will make concessions on what Rudd wants. He was the sole person who led the party to power, not the team who almost didn't exist during the campaign; probably half of Rudd's future Cabinet didn't get any airtime during the election at all, but that void was filled by Rudd himself. He better rule his caucus with an iron fist like Menzies because no one in Australia wants stupid ALP factional fighting.

The Greens will have no influence on the Labor caucus because I think the Coalition will act in their interests and if it's a choice between passing ALP legislation or ALP legislation with the added kookiness of the Greens I think the LNP will choose the former. To say the ALP won't continue with further market based reforms is just ignorant.

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

I wonder if Gillard is gunna take the GST off tampons.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
This is huge.

Vaile just went too.

Cant help but think that Costello's playing a gutless game where he watches the party tear itself apart then heroically comes back to rescue it.

K

katie_tully

Cant help but think that Costello's playing a gutless game where he watches the party tear itself apart then heroically comes back to rescue it.
You take that back right now. :(
Costello is leaving because Howard killed the Liberal Party Costello knew when he refused to step down a year ago. I don't blame him, I'd be leaving too. I'm not even going to entertain the idea of Costello coming back.

K

katie_tully

I don't blame Vaile either. Calare is National but now we have a state and fed Labor government, so nuts to that shit. I had a witty Austin Powers quote to go in there, but I'm to depressed to remember it.

Tully's devestated. :(

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
My feelings on Costello:

I liked the guy, but I can't see this as anything less than gutless. He forced the pressing of the retirement issue onto Howard, made it so his retirement was a big issue of this campaign, gave Howard negative PR etc... which may have been fair enough if he wanted to take over, but now that they lose he feels he can just bow out?

Keating was right about him.

K

katie_tully

I don't think so though Chadd. Howard fucked the Liberals chances of getting in this year, he should have vacated his position last year, given Costello a chance to prove himself. I like Costello, the dude cried, I don't think he is doing this out of spite. Basically he has spent the last 11 years in the backseat and watched as Howard lead his team to the most humiliating defeat ever.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
I don't think so though Chadd. Howard fucked the Liberals chances of getting in this year, he should have vacated his position last year, given Costello a chance to prove himself. I like Costello, the dude cried, I don't think he is doing this out of spite. Basically he has spent the last 11 years in the backseat and watched as Howard lead his team to the most humiliating defeat ever.
Ah, yes, let the backstabbing and the uselessness of political afterthought begin.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Enteebee said:
My feelings on Costello:

I liked the guy, but I can't see this as anything less than gutless. He forced the pressing of the retirement issue onto Howard, made it so his retirement was a big issue of this campaign, gave Howard negative PR etc... which may have been fair enough if he wanted to take over, but now that they lose he feels he can just bow out?

Keating was right about him.
But the electorate has spoken against both Howard and Costello this time (since it was widely acknowledged that Costello would take over mid term). Costello did not stand a chance of being elected any time soon. I think his decision was entirely correct for his family and his party, which needed the gotterdammerung.

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
But the electorate has spoken against both Howard and Costello this time (since it was widely acknowledged that Costello would take over mid term). Costello did not stand a chance of being elected any time soon. I think his decision was entirely correct for his family and his party, which needed the gotterdammerung.
I agree that Costello not contesting leadership and making way for Turnbull was a good thing for the party but I still think it was wrong for him to create the big retirement/PM transition situation if he knew he would not be in it for the long haul win or lose. He should have kept his mouth shut, then Howard could have quite easily gone to the election honestly saying he'll be there for the next term... imho he would have been comfortable with doing so if it wasn't for Costello.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Enteebee said:
I agree that Costello not contesting leadership and making way for Turnbull was a good thing for the party but I still think it was wrong for him to create the big retirement/PM transition situation if he knew he would not be in it for the long haul win or lose. He should have kept his mouth shut, then Howard could have quite easily gone to the election honestly saying he'll be there for the next term... imho he would have been comfortable with doing so if it wasn't for Costello.
Costello could have done many things differently in hindsight. But ultimately he made those 'mistakes' because he was a natural follower and not a leader.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)