2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
If character played any part in winning elections, Howard would most definately not have won anything beyond his 1996 victory.
But you fail to take into account the character of the opposition leaders at the time :D

Stott Despoja

HSC
N/A
Sparcod said:
This was stuff from last year. Very old stuff.

Are we all aware that there's a public holiday on September 7 this year. It's due to APEC meetings, in case you've all forgotten.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Natio...y-for-APEC-meet/2006/09/11/1157826862009.html

So this is election year and of course, Johnny Howard, like any other PM, would be extra nice to his people.
I don't know why you're trying to suggest that Mr Howard is being nice for the sake of the election given that -
a) It is the States and not the Federal Government that have the power to declare public holidays; and
b) The public holiday was declared so that the authorities will be able to better manage the centre of the city for what will be one of the most important days of the APEC Summit.

If you were trying to suggest something else, please let me know.

---

On the topic of Mr Keating, here's a transcript of his latest interview on the ABC. I liked this part in particular -

PAUL KEATING: Well, the thing about poor old Costello, he's all tip and no iceberg, you know. He (laughs), you know, he can throw a punch across the parliament, but the bloke he should be throwing the punch to his Howard. Of course, he doesn't have the ticker for it.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Although I believe opinion polls to be the most unreliable, waste of private sector resources known to man, I think the Government will be slightly comforted (as strange as that may sound) by the recent trends. Although the 2PP vote is fairly substantial (57-43), Rudd's popularity has peaked.

Further, there will be no hesitation in claiming the underdog tag, even before policy enters the equation.

Shall be an interesting 8 months or so.. (key point, 8 months in politics as an extremely LONG time)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
If the guy was in parliament he'd still be demolishing Howard with no effort. The guy rocks.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
If the guy was in parliament he'd still be demolishing Howard with no effort. The guy rocks.
If my memory serves me correctly, it was he who got demolished by Howard... where it counts..

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Stott Despoja said:
I don't know why you're trying to suggest that Mr Howard is being nice for the sake of the election given that -
a) It is the States and not the Federal Government that have the power to declare public holidays; and
b) The public holiday was declared so that the authorities will be able to better manage the centre of the city for what will be one of the most important days of the APEC Summit.

If you were trying to suggest something else, please let me know.
Well. I was referring to APEC. It is also held close to election time. I'm sorry if the words I used weren't clear enough.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Nick Minchin said:
Indeed. Howard wasn't half bad v Keating in parliament either.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TwKgt3lbsG4

Feb '05 Censure Motion.
Pity Youtube has none of Keating's speeches.
Desiccated coconut ain't half bad himself. But that's before he put the araldite on the chair.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I watched 'the Great Motion' a few days ago, and it seemed to make clear that today's scene is so much greyer (my favorite part being Keating's heart-wrenching attempt to answer the question 'who stuffed our economy?' with an outraged pointed 'You did!', only to be met with a wall of Liberal pointers bellowing 'Paul Keating!'). I mean, that was really raw emotion from Howard - like a hysterical child with credibility. You could feel the powerful momentum of that opposition, it's total indignation in defeat and reasonable expectation of a spectacular victory.

You could feel the public mood being channeled by Howard, and it was blind rage. Makes Labor's chances this year look... slim?

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Iron said:
I watched 'the Great Motion' a few days ago, and it seemed to make clear that today's scene is so much greyer (my favorite part being Keating's heart-wrenching attempt to answer the question 'who stuffed our economy?' with an outraged pointed 'You did!', only to be met with a wall of Liberal pointers bellowing 'Paul Keating!'). I mean, that was really raw emotion from Howard - like a hysterical child with credibility. You could feel the powerful momentum of that opposition, it's total indignation in defeat and reasonable expectation of a spectacular victory.

You could feel the public mood being channeled by Howard, and it was blind rage. Makes Labor's chances this year look... slim?
I think that Workchoices will play a major role in any chance Labor has. However, as we are at least 8 months from the likelu date of the election this idle speculation seems a bit wasted. I don't think we can make any serious judgements or speculations about the election result until we see real policy from both sides.

In short though, there definitely aren't the same economic factors driving a mood for change currently. If Howard does lose, it will be the first such loss in the face of relative stability..

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
frog12986 said:
In short though, there definitely aren't the same economic factors driving a mood for change currently. If Howard does lose, it will be the first such loss in the face of relative stability..
Yes. It would practically be unprecedented for the government to fall, given the stable climate. I think Rudd tries to market himself as very stable himself, so a switch wouldnt be anything radical.
Maybe the lack of 1995 emotion has something to do with apathy in times of affluence. If Howard or Rudd were to do a similar performance, I think they'd lose the race to be the 'safer' pair of hands. They'd be seen as mad actually.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Iron said:
Yes. It would practically be unprecedented for the government to fall, given the stable climate. I think Rudd tries to market himself as very stable himself, so a switch wouldnt be anything radical.
Maybe the lack of 1995 emotion has something to do with apathy in times of affluence. If Howard or Rudd were to do a similar performance, I think they'd lose the race to be the 'safer' pair of hands. They'd be seen as mad actually.
I think that the best quality that Rudd has (in terms of electoral appeal) is that he is much like his opponent...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
frog12986 said:
I think that the best quality that Rudd has (in terms of electoral appeal) is that he is much like his opponent...
Without the record

kenny156

Zoidberg Rocks!
HSC
Iron said:
Without the record
And that is what's going to make all the difference. The mood in the electorate seems to be for much the same as what they're getting now, but not in Coalition form. Labor actually seems to be playing to this by subtly distinguishing themselves from the Government on important issues, but not offering anything radically different. I think that the small issues are going to hurt the Coalition in this election. Things like David Hicks, Climate Change and Workchoices are, collectively going to have a big impact on voters whether Howard admits it or not. Admittedly, the david hicks issue may have 'gone away' by the election but if Labor play their cards right, they wont let the electorate forget it.

Howard believes that this election is going to be fought on Economic experience. However, since the sad departure of Keating from Parliament, there has been no real difference on economic policy between the parties. Ian MacFarlane the ex-Governor of the Reserve Bank admitted as much in his Boyer Lectures on ABC Radio National last year. Unfortunately, everybody forgets that our current prosperity is built on the back of a commodities boom that is soon going to run out and the reforms put in place by Keating. All Costello is done is tinker about here and there and spent the money that has come flowing in.

All of this makes for interesting viewing, especially for me. What could be better for an English Extension 2 essay on Political Rhetoric than the lead-up to a highly anticipated and closely fought Federal election??!

It's a shame Keating left parliament, his debating skills and quotable quotes would have been perfect for opposition, much more so than government. he left before he was ready to go and you can tell by his recent comments. he still misses it. I'm going to see Keating the Musical on the 17th. Can't wait to see a musical of the man!

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
kenny156 said:
Howard believes that this election is going to be fought on Economic experience. However, since the sad departure of Keating from Parliament, there has been no real difference on economic policy between the parties. Ian MacFarlane the ex-Governor of the Reserve Bank admitted as much in his Boyer Lectures on ABC Radio National last year. Unfortunately, everybody forgets that our current prosperity is built on the back of a commodities boom that is soon going to run out and the reforms put in place by Keating. All Costello is done is tinker about here and there and spent the money that has come flowing in.
Bi-partisan economic policy? Correct me if I am wrong, but Labor has opposed every piece of economic reform undertaken by the Howard Government. They have in no way displayed an agreement on the economic direction of this country of the past 11 years, and by St. Kevin Rudd saying so, is manipulating the truth.

The 'commodities boom' argument is an easy option for the ALP to take. Why have they not campaigned on this basis for the last 10 years? Why do NSW and Victoria appear to be economically sound despite being service based economies?

The continued confidence is due to fiscal responsbility and the streamlining of revenue generated by the Tax Reform of the Howard Government (which has resulted in a broadening of the indirect tax base, and a reduction of the direct tax base).

This is where people have it wrong. Economic stability is not a given, and minor adjustments here and there challenge the status quo. Costello doesn't just 'tinker' here and there, and spend money generated by a so called resources boom. Workplace Relations reform, Tax Reform, the continutation of the NRA, Family Welfare Reform, Responsible fiscal management, Inflation Policy, etc, have all been instrumental in enhancing the improvements generated by the deregulation of the economy in the 1980's, which WAS bi-partisan policy; voted for by BOTH parties.
The biggest mistake made by the ALP was their continutation of zealous expenditure in the face of structural reform, which when combined with challenging global conditions, was not only irresponsible, but sent the country into recession.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
kenny156 said:
It's a shame Keating left parliament, his debating skills and quotable quotes would have been perfect for opposition, much more so than government. he left before he was ready to go and you can tell by his recent comments. he still misses it. I'm going to see Keating the Musical on the 17th. Can't wait to see a musical of the man!
Im going 26th. Cant wait!
Also:
http://media.theaustralian.news.com.au/nich/20070307_Keating.html

I recommend all of Nicholson's animations. Outstanding!
http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/animations.php

HSC
kenny156 said:
lol...don't sit on the aisle unless you feel like having your foot kissed by Alexander Downer...my poor mother :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)