2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Tomorrow's ACNeilsen in the Fairfax papers has it 57-43, from 58-42 last poll. So not really a statistically significant shift. Primaries are stable, apparently.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
withoutaface said:
Alex is a great bloke who will be an asset to the parliamentary party. His views are a lot more tame than what the SMH would have you believe (for those of you who've done political compass he was about a +2 on the social axis), and he's highly accepting of alternative viewpoints (when I've had some of the more conservative and narrow minded members being highly critical to the point of telling me I was in the wrong party, he's actually stepped in and encouraged me to continue to get more involved).
Time will tell what his views are, when he gets out there as an MP. I don't really know much of his views, other than what the SMH has told me. If he is anywhere near as extreme as the SMH suggests I don't think the ALP will be too unhappy about him. They know that he has been quoted saying controversial things in a absolutist way. It will be easy to paint him as 'extreme'.

On another point. I don't think it's a good sign for the Liberals to inbreed like the ALP by preselecting career politicians (ie like latham). Correct me if I'm wrong. I find politicians who have existed outside of politics (being a staffer is not outside of politics) to be better policy makers.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
frog12986 said:
The ALP criticising the Liberal Party for flawed preselection and extremist views? THe same old hypocrisy..

It would have been wise to choose an MP to convey this issue who is not a member of the hard left of the Labor left... makes an incredible issue, even more incredible..
Flawed preselection? loltsup Charlton.

bassguy

HSC
I'd be pretty surprised if the ALP lost this one. It seems that people are starting to wake up to Howard's lies and misdirection and realise that life is about more than the economy.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
bassguy said:
I'd be pretty surprised if the ALP lost this one. It seems that people are starting to wake up to Howard's lies and misdirection and realise that life is about more than the economy.
Polling says that the bulk of those who jumped ship did so because they want to "give Rudd a go", they did it because of personality. That'll change when we get into the election campaign and an incumbent government that has given the population tax cuts, border security and various other things will be returned because voters feel safer with what they know.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
withoutaface said:
Polling says that the bulk of those who jumped ship did so because they want to "give Rudd a go", they did it because of personality. That'll change when we get into the election campaign and an incumbent government that has given the population tax cuts, border security and various other things will be returned because voters feel safer with what they know.
Bollocks.
Times are good and it's safer to switch. Also, Rudd's mad on the safe pair of hands biz.
Anyway, we're only talking about 10% in the middle who dont give a toss either way, but are forced to vote by a repressive unamerican regime.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
frog said:
If the electorate is so burdened and aghast at the new laws, then why does there need to be so much effort put into the union campagin?
I trust that you have the same feelings now that business councils and what not are pouring money into their own advertisements in favour of work "choices"

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Karl Marx said:
I wholeheartdly endorse Kevin Rudd. Go Kevin!
Mr Marx- this'll be worth a read to you.

'Soviet era less bleak than US history'

Back to the topic....
Perhaps these union bosses are just radical and extreme because John Howard is the PM and has been, for 11 years. They were probably angry since day 1 and have had this anger and heat bottling up inside them and they must've finally let it out. Who know?

Number of votes for Labor is inversely proportional to the width of their mouths! (jokin')

I think it was Stott Despoja (or it could be someone else) who said that people see radical union officials as less of a concern than WorkChoices.
It's ironic that these union officials are meant to protect workers but sometimes, they go just a little bit too far. Dear oh dear.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sparcod said:
Look, youre a nice kid and everything, but youre really dragging the standard of debate down in this forum. It must be said.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I trust that you have the same feelings now that business councils and what not are pouring money into their own advertisements in favour of work "choices"
Of course. Take all the advertising and spin away, and let the electorate well and truly decide.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Damnit. You just came across as reasonable for once.

Of course, the electorate did seem a little cross when workchoices was first introduced. I do remember that much.

-----

There was a letter in the Herald the other day, mentioning that judging by the amount of good stuff that Howard and co have done in the months since Rudd was elected as the leader of the opposition, that this is the best opposition we've ever had. I have to agree. :)

Iron said:
Look, youre a nice kid and everything, but youre really dragging the standard of debate down in this forum. It must be said.
Snob.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What is this, amature hour!

Justin

HSC
AuthorisedByTheAustralianGovernmentCanberra.
Spoken by L-Haines & T-Whimsy.
ICanReciteTheManFromSnowyRiverInLessThanTenSeconds.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
wheredanton- thanks for that. I don't read The Age by the way.

Iron said:
:lol

*​
Why is it that the word 'marginal' has popped up more often especially in the context of John Howard's policies? Makes me wonder....

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21962105-2,00.html
HUNDREDS of millions of taxpayer dollars are being poured into private schools located in marginal seats in the lead-up to this year's federal election.

Many of the schools, which include low-fee independent and religious colleges, are situated in seats that could determine the outcome of the election later this year.
I don't recall this much happening in 2004. Prior to the state elections, did Morris Iemma do this much (not just in education) to protect marginal seats?

I believe that John Howard knows that if he carried on the way he did from 1996 to 2006, he wouldn't win this year's election so I do agree with Nebuchanezzar's point to an extent that Rudd is pushing Howard into the right directions.

Would you say that John Howard is "doing things" at the last minute?

The former PMs are certainly out of their hiding holes
Fraser dismisses PM's indigenous plan

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Mr Fraser suggested those implementing the Government plans should go to Canada and see what had been there for indigenous people.
They suffer the exact same problems in terms of alcohol abuse...

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Yeh, we all know that one. Not sure what Malcolm Fraser really means but I think he wants the policy-makers to look at Canada's example. Are Canada's plans any better or are they worse?
*shrugs*

sthcross.dude

HSC
Re: 2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

Valeu said:
For now, the Greens offer the only real alternative to the Liberal Party position on economic and social policy. They have my vote.
Why would you want an alternative to economic policy that has been effective for the last 10 years?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)