2007 Finished Projects (1 Viewer)

goosiegoo

HSC
Well, now that everyone's design projects are in, would anyone care to show some of their stuff? I'd love to see things from all the design categories if anyones willing to show them!

Last edited:

MBF

HSC
ill post mine too but give me a couple of days

i wish they gave us our marks back, i wanna know how i go for it

goosiegoo

HSC
Thanks noir! Your poster is fantastic! Really professional! And i really like the hand, it's a very strong image.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Oh cool you get to design posters for drama?

Both great, nice work!

enchanted mud

HSC
Oh my god they are soo cool!! Jealous much!

I didn't scan them before they went away so sorry no pics! :(
I did costume design for the Everyman play but contextualised to the 1920's/30's era. I made my rationale pretty clear as to why I did it so it didn't look like I just made it up on the spot lol.
I hope I did alright, because I spent quite a bit of time on it....

russell-e

HSC
hey evryone

don't hav any pics 4 my costume design, but here's my rationale

The directorial vision developed for Shakespeare’s As You Like It seeks to engage a modern audience by illuminating a theme which has significant relevance to contemporary society- that of city life versus country life.
The costumes manifest the contrast between city and country, reflecting the surroundings of the characters and how this affects them as individuals.
In the initial scenes of the play which take place in an urban environment, the costumes evince the restrictive nature of city life, whereby the characters are held back by social conventions. The audience recognises this through the use of black bands, netting, padlocks, tight and almost inflexible fabrics, cage-like structures, closed in shoes, and the wire looping pattern worn by all city dwellers in some form.
This visual commentary on the nature of city life encourages the audience to reflect upon their own position in this modern world of stressful, rushed urban living.
Whilst in the country, the costumes portray the transformational properties of Arden, and the effect this has upon each character. They reflect the personal liberation which ensues after an abandonment of the urgent, restrained life in the metropolis. The audience are prompted to observe the advantages of temporarily abandoning this way of life; the freedom of new and unconventional ideas, and the opportunity for the characters to improve themselves on a deeper level. To portray the effect of this new environment upon each character, undone buttons, open- necked shirts, and loose or flexible fabrics are employed. Additionally, to highlight the contrast between city and country, no shoes are worn, and the colour worn by the character in urbanity is inverted. There is a certain clarity and freshness in the forest experienced by the characters which enables them to undergo personal change; the costumes manifest this through various fabrics which catch the light.
By the end of the play the ‘magical’ influence of country life becomes evident- the forest has been a tool for education, for repairing fraternal bonds, and maturing love. The audience is thus encouraged to reflect upon the busy urban lifestyle which has become the norm today.

my class was the 1st eva 2 do costume design at my skool, so it was a bit scary. dunno if we did it right. had fun tho, and put in a lot of work.

jazzmuzik

HSC
I did the ham funeral by patrick white
Images in gallery here (there are 6, mounted on black)...
http://jazzmuzik.deviantart.com/gallery/

Rationale below...

The Ham Funeral by Patrick White
Rationale

The Ham Funeral by Patrick White explores a Young Man’s struggle to evaluate himself and find answers in what is a confusing and often contradictory world.
In my interpretation of the play, the boarding house represents the lost human mind (specifically that of the Young Man), and each character, a symbolic personification of the various ways life can be approached.
Because of the ambiguity of the “expressionistic” style, my primary intention for the design concept was to embody the play’s symbolism in order to make meaning, for a modern audience.
In accordance with Patrick White’s script, I decided to adhere to the specified time period of 1919. However I also felt it was important to consider the Young Man’s opening lines when he says, “ I have just woken, it seems. It is about…well the time doesn’t matter. The same applies to my origins”. As he says, “the time doesn’t matter”, as the Young Man essentially represents an “everyman” type figure. For this reason I allowed myself some “theatrical license” in that I was primarily concerned with capturing the expressionistic characterisation rather than historical accuracy.
Inspired by the decaying setting, I decided to employ a gothic style in my designs, to reflect the claustrophobia of the Young Man’s struggle to find answers. I also intended that each character would appear “alive” in the otherwise dead environment.
Expressionist theatre makes “sharp, uncompromising transitions from extreme to extreme” and I believe the same can be applied to my design concept. The designs too, vary and in doing so, represent the various “perspectives” as they fight for attention. In saying this however, I did feel it was important that the overall vision displayed a sense of unity, no matter how obscure independent characters appeared.

stine03

HSC
They look awesome jazzmuzik! I especially like your First Lady and Second Lady.

jazzmuzik

HSC
thanks :) those allowed for the most creative freedom however in hindsight perhaps i could have been a little more creative with the others too...there is however philosophies behind the other characters...
The young Man and the girl are a clear pair, as i interpretted her as his alter ego/ conscience/ other half. both are in underclothes and have a vague unfinished look about them as the young man is lost and incomplete in himself. the pale colours also represent their purity and the cloudy nature of the mind (yeah yeah the play is pretty "deep")
The landlady and landlord are also a pair as husband and wife, but sh's the obvious dominating figure, she's fleshy, repulsive and powerful. Theres also a link between the young man and the landlord as his clothes (singlet and pants) echo those of the young man.. he's older and more sure of himself...
anyway thats some of the stuff i justified in the logbook.

Btw Both posters above are really great, nice work :)

HSC
my poster for MYTH blah blah blah BANG! *gunshot* was awesome - absolutely awesome, i tell you. near full marks in trials for everything.
poster = full
program = full
the rest = nearly full

i've now been trying to see more plays, esp. at Belvoir and the like...
but thank god it's over - bring on November 9th!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)