2007 Mtp Forum (1 Viewer)

bethrealistic

HSC
Just to clear this up: my teacher, who was on the board that developed the new textiles syllabus, ASSURES me that YES, you are allowed to have a title page.

However, the CONTENT of the title page MAY affect how your folio is marked - if it includes any images that can be interpreted as design inspiration, design development etc. it WILL be counted as the first of those pages, so the last page of that section won't be marked as such.
BUT that's only if the markers get really fussy - apparently they usually don't care.

All my title page included was my student number, a border and three photos of my completed project on a model.
None of these things could be interpreted as belonging to another section, nor are they an evaluation - but it could be a "photo page" I spose?

HSC
Oh, so there's a new Textiles syllabus?
I neer knew.
Yes, my teacher marks them too, so I wasn't worried in trusting her.
When she was checkig over the TP of one student's in the class, she told her to take away the 10 or so little images of flowers used for decoration. So she knew what she was talking about.

On mine I had a title of my work, student number, decorative squares of coloured paper, 2 photos of my MTP, and one image of a dove. I'm freaking out about the dove. I didn't use anything remotey about a dove in the DI section. But, the again, I'm sure only if they're fussy they'll care. But no way they would'nt mark one of the actual pages of the DI because the TP an image on it which culd be part of the DI! That's ridiculous.

Thanks for that clearing up though!

Can I just ask, does anyone know how the sections are marked? Because they're only worth a majority of 5 marks, say if you do something really small wrong, like miscalculate one of the entries in your costing table, or forget to mention a design feature of some of your designs; just something really small like that. I can't really think of somehing else, but you do have to wonder how it's marked.

HSC
rubificticious said:
I neer knew.
Yes, my teacher marks them too, so I wasn't worried in trusting her.
When she was checkig over the TP of one student's in the class, she told her to take away the 10 or so little images of flowers used for decoration. So she knew what she was talking about.

On mine I had a title of my work, student number, decorative squares of coloured paper, 2 photos of my MTP, and one image of a dove. I'm freaking out about the dove. I didn't use anything remotey about a dove in the DI section. But, the again, I'm sure only if they're fussy they'll care. But no way they would'nt mark one of the actual pages of the DI because the TP an image on it which culd be part of the DI! That's ridiculous.

Thanks for that clearing up though!

Can I just ask, does anyone know how the sections are marked? Because they're only worth a majority of 5 marks, say if you do something really small wrong, like miscalculate one of the entries in your costing table, or forget to mention a design feature of some of your designs; just something really small like that. I can't really think of somehing else, but you do have to wonder how it's marked.
Okies, when i went to a textiles seminar in the city, it was the whitehouse one, the lady said they are that the markers arent bad in marks. howver, they will mark you down if your MTP isnt relevnat to your foloio visa vera. Thus your decoration of your foloio needs to suit ETC etc. For example, within your experiemnts they need to be relevnt to your MTP, if they arent thats an instant mark down. eg. if you are doing a formal dress they said there was no need for you to do a burning test.... they want something more along the lines of seam types etc.
and for your inspiortaion page they wanted pictures/images that inspiore you and theey all NEED to be relevnt. if not, thats an mmediate mark down.
I guess the reason why there is a limiotaion on pages is because they have at least 1000 to mark and also i guess it's ess work for us... ETC

bethrealistic

HSC
rubificticious said:

Not new as in recently, only in 2002 or 2001 or something. But there is a new one coming again!

The best thing you can look at is the actual marking guidelines. They're not going to just strip away your marks for little mistakes - they don't nitpick, rather they mark the project as a whole, assessing for relevance (like love.is.around says) and quality of the work.
Also don't worry about the dove, if it's a clear title page then they'll consider it as such and not mark it!
Our teachers were just talking about when people deliberately try and fit in extra information on the title page because their real layout was poorly planned.

(Also I did something naughty with mine; for my manu. specs., I had my pattern pieces slightly over the page, like a lift the flap type thing, simply because I did a mix-and-match range and I had literally hundreds of pattern pieces! But they technically can't penalise me, the worst they can do is not mark those pattern pieces that were off the page, maybe something like "pattern piece illustrations incomplete.")

HSC
Ahh, thanks for that.

LOL. New syllabus! I hope it's not easier!

I hope they don't mark down for little mistakes. Yeah, it is a clear TP. I didn't even plan on putting the dove in but it made it more interesting, so I did.
Yeah, I can see some people fitting in extra on a TP because they needed more room.

Ahh, naughty! How big of a flap? I hope not too big! But that's what I mean. It's really unfair for people with so many pattern pieces and/or items: it takes up more room and you need more room! I had a one piece MTP and I had trouble. I can't see how people with multiple items could work with what room we were given!
Did you do apparel? Theme? Forgive me if you've already said what you made. It just helps me get a better picture of you.

bethrealistic

HSC
Yeah but I'm not too fussed if they don't give me the marks for the pattern pieces, I should've planned better, but if they were any smaller you really couldn't've seen them. =P So I made the choice to do a bit extra. I did that section separately for each item (4 items), so for each lot of pattern pieces there was an overlap smaller than the size of a movie ticket. Adds up to about a postcard-size page over the limit. =P
It's true, though, the page limits are a bit restrictive. I hope they fix that in the new syllabus!
You know in the old syllabus you could do 3 UNIT textiles?! That would have been amaaaazing.

My project was a mix-and-match versatile business/fashion range for women, designed so you can wear it to work and then in the evening; two garments were reversible as well! Think CUE.
I'll see if I can find some photos!

HSC
Oh man, we are stressing for know reason.. but i admit i think about my MTp and think i could of done this... but the scarey thing is the marks are recorded.. tahts it!!!

HSC
bethrealistic said:
Yeah but I'm not too fussed if they don't give me the marks for the pattern pieces, I should've planned better, but if they were any smaller you really couldn't've seen them. =P So I made the choice to do a bit extra. I did that section separately for each item (4 items), so for each lot of pattern pieces there was an overlap smaller than the size of a movie ticket. Adds up to about a postcard-size page over the limit. =P
It's true, though, the page limits are a bit restrictive. I hope they fix that in the new syllabus!
You know in the old syllabus you could do 3 UNIT textiles?! That would have been amaaaazing.

My project was a mix-and-match versatile business/fashion range for women, designed so you can wear it to work and then in the evening; two garments were reversible as well! Think CUE.
I'll see if I can find some photos!
Ahh, true. You have to think about sizing of patterns too. Oh, it doesn't sound too bad. I'm just wondering if they'll actually even look at it.
WOW! 3U Textiles! LOL! Amazing as in good? Sounds daunting.

Oh, yeah. I think you told us before. Sounds great! I love Cue!
So it was apparel?
Can I ask the colour scheme? For some reason I'm thinking pink and black, alla Marge Simpson, Coco Chanel suit! LOL!
YAY! Photos would be fantastic!

One more question about marking. I was looking over the marking guidelines as suggested and for a section, like for the written description of item/s in the MS section, the marking guidelines say "accurate and detailed descripton of item/s" or something along those lines. What you wrote something inaccurately? Would they automatically not give you full marks, because it was innacurate; not as per the marking guidelines?
Or would it depend on how wrong you got it? Like if you wrote there is a beaded section at the front, but there isn't at all; you forgot to edt that part out - you weren't doing it in the end - would you be marked down for that?

love.is.around said:
Oh man, we are stressing for know reason.. but i admit i think about my MTp and think i could of done this... but the scarey thing is the marks are recorded.. tahts it!!!!
Are the marks recorded! How do you guys know all this?
Arghh!
Freak out!

HSC
rubificticious said:
Ahh, true. You have to think about sizing of patterns too. Oh, it doesn't sound too bad. I'm just wondering if they'll actually even look at it.
WOW! 3U Textiles! LOL! Amazing as in good? Sounds daunting.

So it was apparel?
Can I ask the colour scheme? For some reason I'm thinking pink and black, alla Marge Simpson, Coco Chanel suit! LOL!

One more question about marking. I was looking over the marking guidelines as suggested and for a section, like for the written description of item/s in the MS section, the marking guidelines say "accurate and detailed descripton of item/s" or something along those lines. What you wrote something inaccurately? Would they automatically not give you full marks, because it was innacurate; not as per the marking guidelines?
Or would it depend on how wrong you got it? Like if you wrote there is a beaded section at the front, but there isn't at all; you forgot to edt that part out - you weren't doing it in the end - would you be marked down for that?

Are the marks recorded! How do you guys know all this?
Arghh!
Freak out!
Ahhh Now i;m Freaking Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dotn think there that padantic -------> Like they only spend 20 mintues, thats all
screw that if they mark us down,they have no right, we ahve been working on these all year and this is our HSC.... Ahhh angrer moment!

HSC
love.is.around said:
Ahhh Now i;m Freaking Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dotn think there that padantic -------> Like they only spend 20 mintues, thats all
screw that if they mark us down,they have no right, we ahve been working on these all year and this is our HSC.... Ahhh angrer moment!
Oh, I hope not!
How do you know they spend 20 minutes on it? On the folio or the items as well?
One person marking it?

Arghhh!
Nothing to worry about though!
What's done is done. And as everyone says, they are marked. I hope the marks turn out great.

naughtymanolo

HSC
I've heard less, my art teacher use to mark Art prac for the HSC and said it is about 10 mins per artwork. So that means that video works for example can only be watched by them in a max of 2 times.

HSC
Oh man.... Thats eevn worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WANT MY BAND 6!!! (or 5)

~kiki

HSC
love.is.around said:
Oh man.... Thats eevn worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WANT MY BAND 6!!! (or 5)
theres no reason why you shouldn't get a band 6 if you were sure you met all the requirements. They don't mark it in terms of taste--- they mark it in terms of clear concept, good quality, adequate number of techniques, suitable quantity of work and cohesive appearance. As for the folio, provided you wrote something substancial and relevant for each of the sections and ensured a logical neat layout then you're set. :) Thats why textiles scales badly, because its "easy" to get good marks. You've just got to meet all the re-quirements. They're not going to look at your work and be like, well, it would be 50/50 if it wasn't for that ugly mustard colour she chose.

bethrealistic

HSC
rubificticious said:
Amazing as in good? Sounds daunting.

So it was apparel?

Haha all I know is based on what my teacher has told me so we both could be wrong.
Apparently yes, they try and spend around 20 minutes with each project.

So a mistake or inaccuracy like in the MS section would probably be overlooked - whereas if ALL your descriptions were inaccurate or too simple then you'd be marked down, I reckon.
In your hypothetical, they'd probably read the description, look for a beaded section on the garment and find it wasn't there, then probably compare the description with your final design, your steps/instructions, or your production drawings, realise it was a mistake and just ignore it.
The other possibility is that (if you'd referred to the beaded section in ALL parts of your Supp. Doc.) they could take like one mark from the "textile item completed" part of the marking scheme.

But I seriously would not worry about it, judging by your concern about it you obviously put a lot of work and care in to other parts of your project, so I'm sure it's fantastic and worth at least what you expect it will get! :)

My project was apparel, a deep brown wool suiting fabric (almost black) with gold silk contrasts and a light off-white silk georgette blouse and reverse skirt.
Here are some photos and draft production drawings (awful quality, I apologise): http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=17163&l=e5080&id=722351770

I did 4 garments - reversible vest, blouse, reversible skirt (one side pencil skirt, other side slightly flared silk skirt), jacket (sleeves can be turned up or down).

HSC
WOW - naughtymanolo's back! LOL!
I heard the same from an Art teacher, but maybe that's just VA.

~kiki said:
theres no reason why you shouldn't get a band 6 if you were sure you met all the requirements. They don't mark it in terms of taste--- they mark it in terms of clear concept, good quality, adequate number of techniques, suitable quantity of work and cohesive appearance. As for the folio, provided you wrote something substancial and relevant for each of the sections and ensured a logical neat layout then you're set.
I definatley agree with ~kiki.

bethrealistic said:
Apparently yes, they try and spend around 20 minutes with each project.

In your hypothetical, they'd probably read the description, look for a beaded section on the garment and find it wasn't there, then probably compare the description with your final design, your steps/instructions, or your production drawings, realise it was a mistake and just ignore it.
The other possibility is that (if you'd referred to the beaded section in ALL parts of your Supp. Doc.) they could take like one mark from the "textile item completed" part of the marking scheme.

But I seriously would not worry about it, judging by your concern about it you obviously put a lot of work and care in to other parts of your project, so I'm sure it's fantastic and worth at least what you expect it will get! :)

My project was apparel, a deep brown wool suiting fabric (almost black) with gold silk contrasts and a light off-white silk georgette blouse and reverse skirt.
Here are some photos and draft production drawings (awful quality, I apologise): http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=17163&l=e5080&id=722351770

I did 4 garments - reversible vest, blouse, reversible skirt (one side pencil skirt, other side slightly flared silk skirt), jacket (sleeves can be turned up or down).
beth - 20 minutes on the whole MTP? Or just the folio? It's kinda all we've been talking about for ages!
Ahh, I see about the hypothetical. But do you think they'd go to all the effort of looking through all these other sections in the folio to find another beaded reference?
Oh, LOL, I hope I'll get what I hope for; I hope everyone does! All this effort better pay off. I actually did have a beaded section in my MTP; my fingers had holes in them from pulling the needle through my thick fabric. Physical pain! Uhh.

And I love your MTP! It looks fantastic! Really professional looking; a lot of hard work. I love the buttons on the vest and the pleats on the jacket! Fantastic!
And I think the vest definatley sets it off as a Cue inspired design! Were you actually DI section inspired by Cue?
Oh, I don't get how the skirt is reversible pencil and flared. How does that work?
And is that you in the photos at school? Sorry, I'm always curious.
Love it though!

bethrealistic

HSC
rubificticious said:
beth - 20 minutes on the whole MTP? Or just the folio? It's kinda all we've been talking about for ages!
Ahh, I see about the hypothetical. But do you think they'd go to all the effort of looking through all these other sections in the folio to find another beaded reference?
Oh, LOL, I hope I'll get what I hope for; I hope everyone does! All this effort better pay off. I actually did have a beaded section in my MTP; my fingers had holes in them from pulling the needle through my thick fabric. Physical pain! Uhh.

And I love your MTP! It looks fantastic! Really professional looking; a lot of hard work. I love the buttons on the vest and the pleats on the jacket! Fantastic!
And I think the vest definatley sets it off as a Cue inspired design! Were you actually DI section inspired by Cue?
Oh, I don't get how the skirt is reversible pencil and flared. How does that work?
And is that you in the photos at school? Sorry, I'm always curious.
Love it though!
I heard 20 minutes on the whole project - but you never know it may be 20 minutes on each! Here's hoping.

I think they would check if something was a mistake, they're trying to GIVE you marks, not deprive you of them! Remember they're teachers so the better we perform the better they look, haha. =P

Thanks for the project compliments! =) A girl in my class seems to think we have a rivalry, and she was always complimenting my project in a very false and kinda insulting tone so it makes me feel a lot better. =P
I was inspired by city architecture and by the "working woman", not initially by CUE, it was unintentional or like a subconscious thing that it turned out looking like a CUE creation, I just think I set out to achieve something similar to what they do.

You can actually turn the pencil skirt inside-out and there is a side which is gold like the vest around the bodice, and very light colour-gradated silk in a slightly flared skirt. (Unfortunately no pictures yet.) The pencil skirt side also has an inverted pleat so the reverse side fabric doesn't bunch around the hem.

Not me in the photos, no; I'm a 12 an I made a 10 (I hope to fit it by the new year though, haha) because the 10 looks better when laid flat for marking.

What did you make, I think I saw but have forgotten? Is it blue/green or something...?
I know what you mean about the beading, too; my friend made a showgirl costume which had beads and sequins all over. =P

HSC
bethrealistic said:
I heard 20 minutes on the whole project - but you never know it may be 20 minutes on each! Here's hoping.

I think they would check if something was a mistake, they're trying to GIVE you marks, not deprive you of them! Remember they're teachers so the better we perform the better they look, haha. =P

Thanks for the project compliments! =) A girl in my class seems to think we have a rivalry, and she was always complimenting my project in a very false and kinda insulting tone so it makes me feel a lot better. =P
I was inspired by city architecture and by the "working woman", not initially by CUE, it was unintentional or like a subconscious thing that it turned out looking like a CUE creation, I just think I set out to achieve something similar to what they do.

You can actually turn the pencil skirt inside-out and there is a side which is gold like the vest around the bodice, and very light colour-gradated silk in a slightly flared skirt. (Unfortunately no pictures yet.) The pencil skirt side also has an inverted pleat so the reverse side fabric doesn't bunch around the hem.

Not me in the photos, no; I'm a 12 an I made a 10 (I hope to fit it by the new year though, haha) because the 10 looks better when laid flat for marking.

What did you make, I think I saw but have forgotten? Is it blue/green or something...?
I know what you mean about the beading, too; my friend made a showgirl costume which had beads and sequins all over. =P
Ahh... yes, 20 minutes on each will be nice!
And do you know if it's one person marking?

Definatley on with the giving marks!

Oh, rivalry is terrible! Oh, and the false compliments! How rude! Did she make something similar? Or was it just in spite of you?

Very interested in the skirt, I am!

Well, me, I made a Virgin Mary; stylised contemporary style. I have some pictures up on here somewhere, in the older posts.
Blue. Yes, very blue. Not the green and blue tutu if you're referring to somone else's.

Ouch. Beading.

bethrealistic

HSC
rubificticious said:
And do you know if it's one person marking?

Did she make something similar? Or was it just in spite of you?

Well, me, I made a Virgin Mary; stylised contemporary style. I have some pictures up on here somewhere, in the older posts.
Blue. Yes, very blue. Not the green and blue tutu if you're referring to somone else's.
They have many markers (think about how many people DO textiles) but if you're talking about double marking, I don't think they are, I think each project only gets marked by one person, but I'm not sure.

Nah she made something completely different, but we've made similar things in the past, and we're at the top of a class where everyone else gets very average marks, and she's always trying to "compete" with me for first place, haha.

Yeah I remember seeing the picture of your project before (I went back to check that I was thinking of the right one) and it's fantastic - especially the beading. =P
Kinda reminds me of all the Virgin Mary imagery in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet..?

Also RE: CATHOLIC TRIAL
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Catholic Trial paper in textiles...? Our school doesn't buy them and I just want to compare it to our trial paper.
Thanks. =)

HSC
bethrealistic said:
They have many markers (think about how many people DO textiles) but if you're talking about double marking, I don't think they are, I think each project only gets marked by one person, but I'm not sure.

Nah she made something completely different, but we've made similar things in the past, and we're at the top of a class where everyone else gets very average marks, and she's always trying to "compete" with me for first place, haha.

Yeah I remember seeing the picture of your project before (I went back to check that I was thinking of the right one) and it's fantastic - especially the beading. =P
Kinda reminds me of all the Virgin Mary imagery in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet..?

Also RE: CATHOLIC TRIAL
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Catholic Trial paper in textiles...? Our school doesn't buy them and I just want to compare it to our trial paper.
Thanks. =)
I was talking about double marking. I've always pictured it as team marking.

Oh, competition between first and second place is always fiesty! Who came first in the end?

Oh, thanks so much! Even though I don't ever want to look at it again! And yes, the beading was a bitch!
Yes! I love Romeo + Juliet! That sort of imagery.

Humm... well we did the Catholic Trial. I don't know how I can get you a copy though.

HSC
Ouch, one person marking it... Hmm. what happens if they dont instantly like it and another marker may like it... Hm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)