2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition/Iemma or Debnam? (1 Viewer)

2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition?

• Labor

Votes: 125 46.5%
  • Coalition

Votes: 77 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Still Undecided

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
Peter Denman is uncharismatic and disinteresting.

Having said that I’m inclined to vote for the Coalition. Labour has had 12 years of rule in which time they have fixed and addressed little, proven by the number of problems the state has at the moment. You name it: Trains, Cross City Tunnel, Special Tax for home owners which was eventually dropped, problems with the police handling of Cronulla riots, resignation of Carl Scully, Problems with the city catchment, Public health (facing a shortage of doctors and especially with dentist), the state economy is the most sluggish across the nation, and the list goes on.

Bottom Line is this, if Labour gets back in next election, there is no reason to expect anything to change. Having said this also it is not likely unless there is an enormous swing to the Colation they will not get in office. Labour holds a majority of about 5 %. Opinion polls put Labour wining the next election.
Liberals may not do anything in office but if they get in they will be an incentive to change. The only other scenario that will make something change is if there is an enormous protect vote, which is another good reason to vote against labour.

One thing I particularly hate is how the left politically correct thought police have got into the syllabus. Take 1 Unit Religion or Yr 10 history. My year 10 text book, 200 pages, 8 of which were devoted to WW2, 2 of which discussed women’s role and 2 discussed aborigines input. I HATED LEARNING ABOUT EGALITARIANISM. Get political science out of our syllabus.
I hated the mind bending that went on as schools attempted to mould children’s political beliefs through our syllabus.

Anyway

The Coalition offer an alternative, I don’t know what it is but its something different from whets going on now, which has to be good.
So it’s either them or Green Hippies that want to legalise Pot, gay marriage and turn Australia’s farming land back into wild Amazon or Christian fundamentalists who I don’t trust.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sandez said:
Don't vote Liberal- do a donkey vote if you don't want to vote for Labor.
Why? So that we can continue being raped into becoming the state with the smallest growth in Australia due to excessively high taxes levied at the hands of an incompetent Labor government who do nothing with said taxes but inflate wages for their public sector mates to sit around on their arse doing nothing because they've been hired way over and above what the state needs to provide services?

Yeah great idea, I'll certainly be doing that, and would recommend the rest of the forum does as well. Fucktard.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
Lockhart said:
So it’s either them or Green Hippies that want to legalise Pot, gay marriage and turn Australia’s farming land back into wild Amazon.
what's wrong with that?

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Doesn't matter I'm voting back Clover Moore, so I never have to vote Labor, Libs, Greens in state elections. But NOT voting for Turnbull!

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
frog12986 said:
It's a great thing that the voice of the Greens is really irrelevant in todays poltical environment..
I think you'll find you're wrong.

Having ten percent of the vote both federally and statewide is no mean feat.

They are the third largest party in Australia.

Are you advocating that we should only have two political voices (both of which are relatively the same)?

The Greens party is constantly demonized, but for what reason?
They have policies for all political issues and run candidates in practically all electorates.
And they stand for what they believe in! What more could you want!
You along with many others believe in the false, unjustifiable image of the loony far lefty-'communist'-watermelon(redontheinsidegreenontheoutside) GREENS.

I think it's pretty obvious that they AREN'T what so many people superficially claim they are.

It's simple, if you don't agree with them, don't vote for them. This is democracy, not autocracy!

In such a society we are supposed to accept all views. Grow up!

spell check

HSC
don't vote liberal unless you are a christian fundamentalist

labor might be lame but the liberals offer nothing but social conservatism as an alternative - you will be handing them control of education and the criminal justice system.

pick the lesser of two evils. THINK OF THE CHILDREN

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
The Liberals are stupid to have chosen a twatty, Queen-loving, ex-Navy snob from Vaucluse to be the opposition, John Brogden had so muhc more appeal to outer urban voters where swinging seats are needed. This also turned voters off Andrew Peacock when he contested the 1984 and 1989 elections.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
As much as I think change is needed, it is highly unlikely..

Take the seat of Drummoyne as an example. The seat is considered to be a 'marginal' seat in the context of electorate, with a swing of 9.4% needed for the Libs to gain the seat. In 2003 the ALP candidate, Angela D'Amore polled 47% of te primary vote. If that is considered to be marginal, the chances of a change in government are verging on impossible..:eek:

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
frog12986 said:
As much as I think change is needed, it is highly unlikely..

Take the seat of Drummoyne as an example. The seat is considered to be a 'marginal' seat in the context of electorate, with a swing of 9.4% needed for the Libs to gain the seat. In 2003 the ALP candidate, Angela D'Amore polled 47% of te primary vote. If that is considered to be marginal, the chances of a change in government are verging on impossible..:eek:
But swings are easier in state constituencies due to the smaller amount of voters. While 9.4 is seen in Federal Politics as "Fairly Safe Labor" swings occur can be surprising such as the 15% and 11% swings in the seats of Gilmore and Hughes which were once safe Labor seats now claimed comfortably by two of the dumbest women in Parliament.

Naylyn

HSC
I would have vote for Brogden if he was still leader of the coalition but I just can't bring my self to vote for the chrisitian right, which is what Debnam is, no matter how bad Iemma is...

Greens:1 Labour:2

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Now it's personal: Iemma's strategy to hurt Debnam

UNDER pressure in the opinion polls, Labor is planning to launch an American-style negative election campaign targeting Opposition Leader Peter Debnam as filthy rich, out of touch with ordinary voters and a business failure.

Even Mr Debnam's retired father, John, has being dragged into the negative image-making with false accusations that he suffers from depression.

At Labor-organised focus groups in Sydney, the audience is being asked about Mr Debnam snr's "struggle with depression" - a campaign technique the Liberal leader has branded as "sick, offensive and reprehensible".

"You can't get any lower than this," Mr Debnam said. "Are they capable of making an apology? I doubt it."

The Sun-Herald has obtained the transcript of an ALP-conducted focus group session at Harris Park on October 19 at which the audience was bombarded with highly damaging references - many of them untrue - about Mr Debnam.

At one point, the moderator told the all-male audience aged between 30 and 50: "Peter Debnam doesn't understand people like us.

"He's the member for Vaucluse, he lives in a multimillion-dollar mansion bought by his wife and is a member of the local yacht club."

In fact, the Debnams live in a block of units in Bellevue Hill. He doesn't own a yacht, but belongs to the Royal Motor Yacht Club, which is mainly for owners of power boats. He also belongs to the North Bondi Surf Club. [...]
Full Article - The Sun-Herald/SMH

bshoc

HSC
N/A
spell check said:
don't vote liberal unless you are a christian fundamentalist
Last time I checked they mostly voted for the CDP, but seriously even a theocracy at this point looks tempting considering the major fuckup that is this unfortunate labour government.

labor might be lame but the liberals offer nothing but social conservatism as an alternative - you will be handing them control of education and the criminal justice system.
Actually they'll be offering relative centrism compared to the current social leftism, as well as get this economy back to relative funtion.

Bring on the social conservatism even, I'd love to see a myriad of angry leftist crying on the street when Debnam pulls some wasteful social program or limits abortions or something - and laugh at them.

Politicians with morals are better than those that lack them.

pick the lesser of two evils. THINK OF THE CHILDREN
ie. vote libs

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Rafy said:
There's nothing wrong with beating up the fact that he's a bit of a rich cunt.

If Debnam didn't want his father's depression to become public knowledge, he should never have agreed to that article in the local paper.

And if Debnam's father has serious psychological trauma, who even knows if Debnam himself is of sound mind? What's to say that if he becomes premier, the pressures of office are too great for his potentially feeble mind and he snaps?

Last edited:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
bshoc said:
Actually they'll be offering relative centrism compared to the current social leftism, as well as get this economy back to relative funtion
Ha I'm sorry. You seem to have zero grasp of recent political history.

The NSW ALP are the most right wing of any ALP government anywhere. That is a known fact. The reason why the ALP has been so strong in the NSW for the past few terms is because, with Bob Carr, it moved so far to the right that it squeezed out the Liberals and took over their traditional values (NSW state liberals have usually been wet and moderate Pittwater like folk).

Kinda explains why Brogs got knifed considering he supported select injecting rooms and methadone clinics. Those of the hard right didn't think he was different enough from the ALP. Personally I think the Libs would romped home if he was still there.

Last edited:

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
wheredanton said:
Ha I'm sorry. You seem to have zero grasp of recent political history.

The NSW ALP are the most right wing of any ALP government anywhere. That is a known fact. The reason why the ALP has been so strong in the NSW for the past few terms is because, with Bob Carr, it moved so far to the right that it squeezed out the Liberals and took over their traditional values (NSW state liberals have usually been wet and moderate Pittwater like folk).

Kinda explains why Brogs got knifed considering he supported select injecting rooms and methadone clinics. Those of the hard right didn't think he was different enough from the ALP. Personally I think the Libs would romped home if he was still there.
You summed it up well, however I think ideology has lost a lot of its significance at a state level due to the more administrative based responsibilities. Sure, concepts such as injecting rooms and the like will create a moral difference, however when looking at the totality of government it's more about management and action.

The way I see it, the ideological divide only becomes evident in issues such as:

- judicial reform
- harm minimsation
- public sector size

At the end of the day, the state exists to provide services and infrastructure to the electorate; managerialism generally overrides ideology.

Whilst Debnam offers an alternative, he is given little or no media time. Most of the newsreel shown by the media is of him whining or complaining, with minimal emphasis or clarification of his policies. How many people are going to make the effort to go to the NSW Liberal or Peter Debnam website?

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
frog12986 said:
Whilst Debnam offers an alternative, he is given little or no media time. Most of the newsreel shown by the media is of him whining or complaining, with minimal emphasis or clarification of his policies. How many people are going to make the effort to go to the NSW Liberal or Peter Debnam website?
That's why I dont understand why some hated Brogden so much. If he was still around he WOULD WIN the next state election. He had media time, people knew who he was - something that is very hard in terms of state politics, especially if you are a opposition leader.

The values of NSW people don't really change. The Liberal party with a likable leader who didn't aliente anyone, even if their policies were similar to the ALP, like they were with Brogden would take NSW next election. I never saw the need too keep going further and further right to differentiate. When the NSW ALP is falling apart all they needed to do with stick to their guns, they don't need to differentiate that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)