2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition/Iemma or Debnam? (2 Viewers)

2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition?

• Labor

Votes: 125 46.5%
  • Coalition

Votes: 77 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Still Undecided

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnrlies

HSC
jb_nc said:
Um, let me tell you Labor would probably LOVE to cut 20 000 public sector jobs to stop the budget deficit they are running. But they can't because of the public services union.

I couldn't give a fuck if they got rid of 20 000 backroom bureaucrat's jobs. Do you care?
hah

Yeah Id love it if they got rid of them.. I hate bureacraZy

Only problem though, is that politically, labor are confusing the electorate by saying that it is going to be police and nurses who get the sack (which is totally false).

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Something that the Coalition has failed to communicate, which would of course placed the public service policy into perspective, is that the reduction will amount to only 6.9% of the current size of the bureaucracy. A miniscule number in the scheme of things.

Secondly, Debnam failed to reitterate the point that each year 30,000 bureaucrats leave for various reasons (retire, resign etc) and the Coalition intend to rehire 5 out of 6 positions, which of course equates to 5000 per year and 20,000 over four years. The ALP has had a free shot in this regard, with most people unsure of the details of the policy

A particular family member of mine is a member of the PSA and is furious that his money has been spent on slandering the opposition policy; the unions wonder why support is depleted. The PSA is just attempting to maintain its vested interests, as is the ALP.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Lol. People bag out the rail system so much, I'm a little confused. I caught it practically every day last year (s1, s2, Summer) and do you know how many noticable delays I suffered through?

one

when some drugged up woman was wandering through a tunnel and got hit by a train. so up yours debnam.

gnrlies

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Lol. People bag out the rail system so much, I'm a little confused. I caught it practically every day last year (s1, s2, Summer) and do you know how many noticable delays I suffered through?

one

when some drugged up woman was wandering through a tunnel and got hit by a train. so up yours debnam.
Well I think the problems are isolated to particular lines, and times of day. There are also questions over the contingencies of cityrail.

Its possible that you've not experienced delays but many people dont have that same luxury, and have to put up with both overcrowded, unairconditioned, regularly delayed trains, that dont come frequent enough. Oh and it takes longer to get to penrith in 2007 than it did in 1930.

Optophobia

HSC
Has anybody seen any ads containing promises?

All the ads have been "DON'T TRUST LABOR","DONT TRUST DEBNAM".

No promises?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Negative advertising is more effective, especially given the following:

"Newspoll has asked NSW voters whether they are motivated by liking for the party of their choice, or dislike for the alternative. And sure enough, more of them - 49per cent against 43 per cent - are driven by the latter. "

Oh and on that note, the ban on election related electronic advertising comes into effect at midnight tonight.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
What ban?

Good point there Rafy.

All the Liberals ads I've seen on T.V are those attacking Labor but none of them are telling us what they're promising. (well there may've been)

Labor is both attacking Debnam (with 20000 job cuts ads) and supporting themselves (ads on new trade schools and GP centres)

Optophobia

HSC
Hmmm..

On a forum like this, with a large minority base, Labor gets 44.75% of the vote. This may be enough to win a seat for a member, but from the feeling i've been getting around town, i think Labor will still win, but it wont be a land slide.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sparcod said:
What ban?

Good point there Rafy.

All the Liberals ads I've seen on T.V are those attacking Labor but none of them are telling us what they're promising. (well there may've been)

Labor is both attacking Debnam (with 20000 job cuts ads) and supporting themselves (ads on new trade schools and GP centres)
That's because Labor has a fuckload more campaign funds to play with.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Optophobia said:
Hmmm..

On a forum like this, with a large minority base, Labor gets 44.75% of the vote. This may be enough to win a seat for a member, but from the feeling i've been getting around town, i think Labor will still win, but it wont be a land slide.
Of course Labor will still win (How I'll never know).

The other issue is that the number of seats changing hands won't be huge, if any at all. The Coalition will have to measure success by how effectively it makes inroads into the margins in each seat. Anything less than a uniform 5-6% swing will be abismal.

An O'Farrell/Goward ticket for 2011 looks more and more appealing by the day. Do David Clarke, Charlie Lynn and others in the Right Faction understand that they are the reason for such an ineffective and mediocre campaign?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Musk said:
what train line do u catch?

i bet its not fucking illawarra
fuck. i fucking catch fucking the fucking illwarra fucking line every fucking day. fuck. i transfer at wolli creek to go to campbelltown this year, so i get to usr the illawarra line every day to undertake that transfer. ive seen no problems thus far. perhaps its the retarded nature of shire residents or something like that that's causing the problems. the east hills line, luckily, nary has a spot of inefficiency on it.

and that woman was killed last year wandering in an illawarra line tunnel, so they had to divert their trains onto my god damned line. thanks a lot.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Final Polls:

Acneilsen: 56/44 2PP in Labor's favour. (Poll suggests resounding Iemma win)

Interestingly, our BOS voting intention poll (Despite its small sample) also gives 56/44.

Galaxy Poll however gives 53/47 2PP (Was 57/43). Primaries: Labor 40, Liberal 38, Greens 9, Other 13.

___

Election Editorials:
All major papers have decided to support the Liberals.

Labor doesn't deserve your vote (Daily Telegraph)
"Liberal. Because it couldn't get any worse."

Why NSW cannot afford four more years of Labor (SMH)
"We believe the re-election of Labor is simply one risk too many."

Both sides have failed in NSW (The Australian)
"...we recommend voters suspend their natural suspicion of Mr Debnam and punish the Government."

___

Pollsters say Labor outwitted the opposition

Last edited:

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
People get what they deserve quite frankly.

The fact that IR was the 'major' state issue conveys how the Coalition failed to neutralise a lie portrayed by the ALP advertising.

Heaven help us.

The likelihood of an ALP autocracy has just become a very real prospect..

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
People would vote for the Liberals if they'd given us any reason to.. believe me, I'm a Liberal hater, but anything is better than Labor, and frankly, they didn't do diddly squat to convince me. All both sides did was throw shit at each other.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Josie said:
People would vote for the Liberals if they'd given us any reason to.. believe me, I'm a Liberal hater, but anything is better than Labor, and frankly, they didn't do diddly squat to convince me. All both sides did was throw shit at each other.
I wouldn't go that far. The Opposition HAS provided and alternative, however it has failed to reach the average voter. The ALP advertising campaign was extremely effective, particularly in relation to IR.

The Coalition should've focused on a positive campaign, and directed their resources to providing a positive image for change.

We'll all find out soon enough.

Preditiction: Barry O'Farrell as interim leader; four more years of hard Labor.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
My prediction for tomorrow: Greens vote will increase in relation to 2003, but their preference flow to Labor will remain approximately the same.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
frog12986 said:
I wouldn't go that far. The Opposition HAS provided and alternative, however it has failed to reach the average voter. The ALP advertising campaign was extremely effective, particularly in relation to IR.

The Coalition should've focused on a positive campaign, and directed their resources to providing a positive image for change.

We'll all find out soon enough.

Preditiction: Barry O'Farrell as interim leader; four more years of hard Labor.
I'm not talking about TV adds, since I haven't seen any of them, not having commerical TV reception at my house.
I'm going from interviews etc on sky news.
And I don't believe the Labor bullshit on IR either.

But I'm still not voting for Debnam. O'Farrell I could probably have coped with.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
withoutaface said:
My prediction for tomorrow: Greens vote will increase in relation to 2003, but their preference flow to Labor will remain approximately the same.
My prediction.
Labor will win but lose a lot of its seats.
Also, we might possibly see the most votes ever for minor parties (primary votes that is).

I could be wrong. I just don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)