• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008/09 English premier League (2 Viewers)

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
doing a couple of backheels, a few pretty passages of play and winning fuck all at the end of the season?
ouch.
ok, you admire fabregas for a few more years...from the distance.

when we are ready, we'll call you over, take your euros 35 million and you can stick him on whichever end of the substitues bench you like.

How can Arsenal not have compensated Barcelona? I'm sure he went there when he was really young, before he was tied to a professional contract so Arsenal must have paid some money to Barca for nicking him away.

Arsenal never discloses the financial details of their transfers. Even if Wenger did pay a kid 3 million to get him to come to Arsenal nobody would know. And it's funny how everyone just says he's a shrewd economist just because he holds an economics degree.

no. barcelona did not receive any form of compensation. he turned 16 and decided to sign his professional contract with arsenal as opposed to barcelona.

you say arsenal never disclose the details of their transfers?
a quick google search will prove you utterly wrong.

arsene wenger holds a masters in economics to be exact.
as opposed to sir alex ferguson's degree in shit all.

wenger also holds an engineering degree, but that really hasn't come in to use since the construction of the emirates.:)

HSC
also, in case anyone is interested, there's a documentary on the hillsborough disaster showing on the history channel - thursday, 9:30 PM.

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
Just saw a headline from Lazio claiming Man Utd paid something like 2.8 million to marcheda or whatever his name is parents to lure him away from lazio's academy or something.

Extremely dodgy if true, wouldn't be surprised though, man utd have been stealing young players from foreign academies for years.
Haha a scouse trying to sound intelligent....u guys seem to be spending alot of time watching and analysing the opposition. Go to a museum and look at the last time u won the title.:rofl:

Chelsea 4 Bolton 3
Sunderland 1 Manchester United 2
Wigan 1 Arsenal 4
Liverpool 4 Blackburn 0

Looks like this Macheda kid is now officially Scouser Enemey #1:haha:

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
lol shame he's a chelsea fan.

wins all around though.

i'd have wet myself with utter delight had chelsea blown their 4 goal lead.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
no. barcelona did not receive any form of compensation. he turned 16 and decided to sign his professional contract with arsenal as opposed to barcelona.

you say arsenal never disclose the details of their transfers?
a quick google search will prove you utterly wrong.

arsene wenger holds a masters in economics to be exact.
as opposed to sir alex ferguson's degree in shit all.

wenger also holds an engineering degree, but that really hasn't come in to use since the construction of the emirates.:)
I thought FIFA regulations state that players under 17 must be compensated for. Maybe this happened after Fabregas was signed by Arsenal.

I can't remember the last time Arsenal have (officially) declared the details in any of their transfers. Not with Arshavin (although Zenit did), not with Eduardo, Sagna, Silvestre etc. I guess that's the way Wenger likes it.

Oh and I never knew getting a degree at uni was a pre-requisite for becoming a football manager. :cool:

Charizard

HSC
I thought FIFA regulations state that players under 17 must be compensated for. Maybe this happened after Fabregas was signed by Arsenal.

I can't remember the last time Arsenal have (officially) declared the details in any of their transfers. Not with Arshavin (although Zenit did), not with Eduardo, Sagna, Silvestre etc. I guess that's the way Wenger likes it.

Oh and I never knew getting a degree at uni was a pre-requisite for becoming a football manager. :cool:
Still isn't the exact point i think is relevant. Even if they do have to compensate (which im nnot sure they do) it would be such a minimal fee, certainly less then half a million, that its largely irrelevant.

These clubs often know they have superstars in the waiting, only for them to turn 16 and sign on with a bigger club who promise their parents millions of dollars and nice jobs.

And the club who raised them often barely gets enough compensation to cover all the costs of the little fucker, let alone a fair agreement. OR in barcelona's case, sweet fuck all.

Charizard

HSC
Haha a scouse trying to sound intelligent....u guys seem to be spending alot of time watching and analysing the opposition. Go to a museum and look at the last time u won the title.:rofl:
Don't know why the fuck you think im a scouse.

Your post reeks of pretentiousness and glory hunting therefore i predict:

DIRTY MANC

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
lol shame he's a chelsea fan.

wins all around though.

i'd have wet myself with utter delight had chelsea blown their 4 goal lead.
I watched the last ten mins doing the same thing. If Bolton can score 3, imagine what Torres can do? CL tie might not be over. Note to Rafa: Chelsea cannot defend long balls.

Utd didn't deserve to win - again - they were outplayed in spells by Sunderland. But title winning sides win when they don't deserve to.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A

Maybe it is something relatively new. I had a look around for some regulations regarding compensation but i couldnt find anything.:confused:

I read somewhere, that arsenal don't usually disclose transfers (in or out) in excess of 5 million, but these are readily accessible and arsenal probably do this knowing the other party will publish the details anyway.

If a uni degree was a pre-requisite to becoming a football manager, 18/20 managers would be out of work. i include roy hodgson because he looks pretty wise and learned.:)

edit: im sorry, i meant, exclude roy hodgson, exclude.

Last edited:

Charizard

HSC
I watched the last ten mins doing the same thing. If Bolton can score 3, imagine what Torres can do? CL tie might not be over. Note to Rafa: Chelsea cannot defend long balls.

Utd didn't deserve to win - again - they were outplayed in spells by Sunderland. But title winning sides win when they don't deserve to.
I wouldn't say its a weakness of chelsea. No doubt bolton exploited it well, but that had kevin davies and the like doing flick ons cause they are such huge targets.

Chelsea will know that liverpool will try long balls, but i cant see it working, terry is out anyway and Alex will monster Torres in the air.

That said, i still think liverpool could shock us, all be it unlikely.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
benitez has a degree in something i remember earlier in the season he flew back to spain for some uni thing

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
OK this is something I found regards to Kiko Macheda.

Daily Mail said:
Macheda was about to give up football until Fergie rescued him from 'mean' Lazio, claims Italian talent spotter

The man who discovered Federico Macheda, the new poster boy of Old Trafford, claimed last night that the teenager who has now rescued Manchester United’s title bid with winning goals in successive matches could have been lost to football had Sir Alex Ferguson not signed him.

Volfango Patarca, who in almost 25 years of service to Lazio’s youth system also spotted such talents as Paolo Di Canio and Alessandro Nesta, has told Macheda’s former club to stop blaming United for what he claimed was their own poor handling of the player.

That strike also prompted Lazio — under pressure for losing the jewel of their youth set-up — to attack United over their signing of the teenager shortly after his 16th birthday.

But Patarca insisted that Macheda could not have turned down a move to Old Trafford because Lazio had failed to support his impoverished family.

Macheda, known since childhood as Kiko, comes from Ponte di Nona, a run-down area to the east of Rome and a world away from Lazio’s Formello training ground to the north of the Italian capital.

His parents struggled just to pay Macheda’s travelling costs for the daily 100-mile round trip to training but Patarca, 64, claims Lazio snubbed requests from the player’s
father, Pasquale, for help.

‘Three times Pasquale asked Lazio for financial help, because it was so tough trying to get Kiko to the training ground every day,’ said Patarca. ‘It cost money and time away
from work. Pasquale asked for the club to fix him up with a job. I believe as little as
500 euros a month could have solved the problem.

'But my understanding is that Lazio only offered to help once they realised that Manchester United were interested in Federico.

‘That was too late because they hadn’t seemed to believe in him enough before. So thank God for Manchester United. What would have happened if they hadn’t been interested and Kiko’s parents had been left with the problem of trying to find the time
and money to take the boy such a long way to training every day?

‘Without Manchester United, I believe he would have had to stop playing. He would have had to finish with football and would have been lost to the game. Instead, he is in
England, where United have helped him to mature far more quickly than he would have done in Italy.

‘You cannot go wrong with Sir Alex Ferguson. Lazio should just be quiet and learn from their mistakes.’

It was in Ponte di Nona that six-year-old Macheda played football in the street and car park outside his flat with the older boys from his graffitti-covered apartment block.
One of them, 20-year-old Patrizio Antonelli, remembers Kiko well.

‘He was three years younger than us but still the best,’ he said. Macheda’s father is keen for his son to keep his feet on the ground and he persuaded him to auction his prized United shirt from his extraordinary debut to raise money for victims of the L’Aquila earthquake.

Patarca explained: ‘Pasquale told me the week wasn’t about his son any more, it’s about the kids who really need help in L’Aquila.’
Click

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
the life story of nearly every african and brazilian playing in europe.

not that i dont sympathise.

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
It's not that. It's just that Lazio started to complain after Kiko had scored his first goal for us. Otherwise this wouldn't even have been mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)