2008 NRL Premiership (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
blue_chameleon said:
A big chunk of Knights supporters have turned to the Jets in the A-League, and the Knights will have to have a good season in 08 or else they are doomed. The Knights have already done emotive tv ads trying to convince people to buy Season tickets and turn up to games. Of all people that could have been the face of the ads, they chose Brian Smith. Hmm.

He lost half of the supporters when he culled the up-and-coming local juniors.
:cool:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
historykidd said:
i hate you wuddie.
why, thank you, i am absolutely stoked to see that.

extraordinary07 said:
mr smith wont last the first half of the season. and with wayne bennett quitting the broncos and looking for a sydney club, newcastle may look to sign him up for 2009.
especially with the cash they've freed up after john's retired, bennett may actually find and attracted to the challenges at the knights. interesting predictament.

frontman

HSC
I go for the dragons. We won 40-30 over the dogs in the trails yesterday, but I don't think this year holds much promise for us. Hopefully we'll be around the 8 come September.

ledzeppelin

HSC
frontman said:
I go for the dragons. We won 40-30 over the dogs in the trails yesterday, but I don't think this year holds much promise for us. Hopefully we'll be around the 8 come September.
If the Dragons can stay injury free (unlikely as that is), I think that they will have a very good season. They have a lot of strike power with Cooper, Gaz, Chase and Soward, as well as the Morris twins.
That's assuming Brown keeps Rangi Chase and Jamie Soward in the halves, which this article says may not happen. Honestly, if Brown goes for Hornby over either of these two, it would be one of the worst decisions I've seen.

ledzeppelin

HSC
wuddie said:
well, the eels did managed to pull johns into their coaching roster, that's got to be a win for the halves. michael hagan is not a bad coach, but from what i hear, he gets really worked up if the team isn't winning, so the pressure is definitely on the parra players.

call me crazy, but i have a vision - when brian smith gets chopped from the knights, the johns brothers will co-coach the knights. boy, wouldn't that be something. with the way brian smith has cleaned out the locals in the team, expect him to be under huge scrutiny.
It's more with the way Smith has cleaned out the deadwood from the team, a point Newcastle people seem to miss. The players he has been getting rid of are the ones that have relied on Johns over the years to make them look like semi-decent first graders.
Remember how Newcastle could never win without Johns? Well, the job Smith was given was to correct this, and that involved refreshing the playing roster

ledzeppelin

HSC
wuddie said:
re above - if you can find anything that contradicts my/ the media's figures, present it, or else don't just bag out the newspapers, they are a whole lot more intelligible and trustworthy than you are.
Can you find anything that supports the media's figures?

ledzeppelin

HSC
brogan77 said:
1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Amos Roberts
3. Iosia Soliola
4. Setimata Sa
5. Sam Perrett
6. Braith Anasta
7. Mitchell Pearce

8. Willie Mason
9. James Aubusson
10. Mark O’Meley
11. Nate Myles
12. Anthony Tupou
13. Craig Fizgibbon

14. Danny Nutley
15. David Shillington
16. Frank-Paul Nuuausala
17. Shaun Kenny-Dowall

Not a bad looking team for us, next year.

EDIT: Fuck I could hardly remember who we have on our roster these days, probably missed some cunts out.
IMO

01. Minichiello
02. Roberts
03. Soliola
04. Perrett
05. Kenny-Dowall

06. Anasta
07. Pearce

08. Paea
09. Aubusson J.
10. O'Meley
11. Tupou
12. Mason
13. Fitzgibbon

14. Aubusson M.
15. Shillington
16. Myles
17. Sa

It's a shame Shackleton's going to be out for a while, as he'd add a bit more balance to that bench

Last edited:

ledzeppelin

HSC
My thoughts on the season ahead:
Melbourne - Still the team to beat. Don't know if Folau will be as effective as last year

Brisbane - Will be up there as always, especially if Wallace can create an effective combination with Lockyer

Penrith - Don't have the halves (plus Elliot is their coach). Will miss the 8

Dogs - Don't have the halves or outside backs. I don't think Folkes will last the season. Will miss the 8

Wests - No halfback or forwards, not to mention poor defence. Will miss the 8

Newcastle - Still rebuilding. Will be competitive, but just lack the class to make the 8.

Roosters - Depends on their halves. If Pearce can become a consistent first grader, should at least make the top 8.

Eels - Will be in the 8 again, but can't win the comp if Finch is still in the team

Will do the other 8 teams later

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Imo only 3 teams can win the premiership.
1. Melbourne- Unless something goes drastically wrong will easily finish in the top 3
2. Manly- had something good going on last year, pity they lost monaghan (sp?)
3. Parramatta- finished strong and look sharp need to work out the halves a bit however

I'm looking forward to seeing how the roosters go, it'll be interesting but they have close to no experience in key positions

I cant wait!!
Parra 2008 premiers (I hope)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i think roosters got some very good players, but without an experienced hooker or halfback, they lack the killer blow. just like last season, as good as anasta was playing, he couldn't pile points on for them like other good halves can. if they had snatched up craig gower, they would have been a lot more competitive.

sarah, that is a huge call. what if those teams had injury problems? a lot of teams you can't rule out, roosters, souths, titans, all quality teams. if they get on a roll, watch out.

jcurry

HSC
Sarah182 said:
Imo only 3 teams can win the premiership.
1. Melbourne- Unless something goes drastically wrong will easily finish in the top 3
2. Manly- had something good going on last year, pity they lost monaghan (sp?)
3. Parramatta- finished strong and look sharp need to work out the halves a bit however

I'm looking forward to seeing how the roosters go, it'll be interesting but they have close to no experience in key positions

I cant wait!!
Parra 2008 premiers (I hope)
they have andrew johns working with the halves this year as well as 3 other teams so they should do much better this season
Go the eels

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Ashmobs said:
Halfback and hooker are all, really...

EDIT:
Pearce has got a few seasons under he belt
Aubusson's been ready to step up for awhile

Agreed. Aubusson is a quality player, who even took some game time from cameron smith which is encouraging.

Pearce played enough games last season and showed enough for me that hes ready to consistently start in first grade. Obviously wont be Andrew johns though.

Roosters main problem is soft defence. Teams rape them outwide. If they fix that, possibly top 4.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
jcurry said:
they have andrew johns working with the halves this year as well as 3 other teams so they should do much better this season
Go the eels
They should be much faster on the wings....through Johns coaching and training their intake...of coke, eccy's, with a dash of speed (pun intended).

With Johns, the Eels will be have their wingers running faster than Johns running a straw across a glass table top.

Oh, too early?

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Eric Grothe is a physical specimen now that i think about eels wingers.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
blue_chameleon said:
They should be much faster on the wings....through Johns coaching and training their intake...of coke, eccy's, with a dash of speed (pun intended).

With Johns, the Eels will be have their wingers running faster than Johns running a straw across a glass table top.
man, i just love how your jokes are all up to date. johns and speed, man, it's unreal. anymore insight you want to share?

riddell lost some kilos during the off season, so i expect him to play well, otherwise his nrl career may be over.

buderus to play his last season at nrl with the knights this year, off to leeds next year. hope he does well and wins back the sos for us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)