2008 NRL Premiership (1 Viewer)

powerdrive

HSC
Sarah182 said:
Agreed but I dont think anyone would have thought that Storm would be having such issues in attack.
The collosion Billy Slater had when he jumped in the air was pretty bad, did everyone else see that?
yeah, it looked like he smashed his ass into his head

ledzeppelin

HSC
wuddie said:
i've heard many concepts in regard to extra time, the best i reckon is as follow.

extra time, first try wins. a team can still go for their field goals and penalty shots, but that will not win the game. instead, they will only count towards the final score. at the end of the 10min (or however long extra time goes for) and there is no try scored by either side, the team with the highest final score wins. otherwise, it is a draw.

that will encourage a try to be scored, rather than a heart breaking one pointer.
i don't like it at all
firstly, why is it ok to win by a field goal in the 80th minute, but not in the 81st?
also, by your concept, say it's 12-all at the end of 80 minutes, then in extra time Team A kicks 2 penalty goals and a FG, but Team B scores a try, Team A lose the game despite being ahead 17-16

ledzeppelin

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Storm are having some issues with their attack. They had quite a few chances in the second half to attack the Roosters line, and failed on pretty much all occasions.
It took them 75 minutes to score some points through Slater, otherwise it would have been the first time in 5 years that they had been held scoreless. I dont think they have huge issues, but they just havent seemed to gel in attack for the past 2 games (to the extent that they did through the past 2 seasons).

The Roosters weren't fantastic either.
The Storm's issue with their attack was the Roosters seamless defensive line :cool:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
ledzeppelin said:
i don't like it at all
firstly, why is it ok to win by a field goal in the 80th minute, but not in the 81st?
because every player on the field knows there is 80min in the game and if a team scored the field goal in the dying seconds (par the last 10), the other team has a chance to equalise or better it. but in extra time, the other team has no chance whatsoever.

a winning try, however, is much harder to score. and if a team concedes a try in the extra time, they are much more deserving losers.

ledzeppelin said:
also, by your concept, say it's 12-all at the end of 80 minutes, then in extra time Team A kicks 2 penalty goals and a FG, but Team B scores a try, Team A lose the game despite being ahead 17-16
yep. like i said, the goals and field goals will count if and only if (pardon the maths phrase) there has been no try scored in the extra time. so take your example of 12-all, the score will remain as 12-all until the end of the extra time. if a team scores a try, then it will be 16-12, and the goals will not be counted regardless.

any query against my concept of the extra time is more than welcomed.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
I think statiscally it has some problems.

its 10-10 after 80mins. go to extra time

What if team A kicks 2 field goals first.
Then team B scores a try.

Your concept says that the 2 field goals are disregarded and the score becomes 14-10 game over. seems kinda weird that team can go to 12 points thne end up on 10 at the end of thr match. would be rather confusing in stat taking etc.

Not a bad idea though

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Australian Test centre Israel Folau said the chance to return home to his family in Brisbane was the key factor in his decision to leave Melbourne Storm to join the Broncos from next year.

Folau had been in discussions with the Broncos for some time and on Sunday the 18-year-old alerted both clubs and his teammates of the move.

"It was a very tough decision, the hardest of my life, to leave the Melbourne Storm and sign for the Broncos," Folau said in a statement.

"The club has been like a family to me in Melbourne and without their support I wouldn't have been able to achieve what I did.

"But the opportunity to return home and be closer to my family was too hard to resist. My family is the most important thing in my life and they are the reason I have made this choice."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron was disappointed with the decision but said he understood why Folau, a devoted Mormon, decided to leave.

"Israel's family and church are very important to him and he can be closer to both at home in Brisbane," Waldron said.

"The impact Israel has made in Melbourne in his short time with the club has been phenomenal, and for that he will always be remembered with great affection.

"For a 17-18-year-old to break our season try-scoring record, win a premiership and become the youngest Australian Test player in history goes to show not only how talented he is, but what terrific structures we have in place here in Melbourne for anyone who plays for the club."

The Broncos also confirmed the signing on their website and chief executive Bruno Cullen will hold a press conference at the Red Hill training venue at 10am on Monday.
Source: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=300870

This is a massive loss for Melbourne.

Of course, its understandible why he made the choice to leave, but to me, its still unexpected.
I thought he would have stayed on.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Thought it was always a done deal that he was leaving anyway.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
well, team A has elected to take the 2 points with the thought that no one is going to score a try. my concept encourages the try scoring, and when team B scores the try, they are rewarded with the win.

it just adds that extra dimension to extra time, you know. should we go for the kick or the try? are they going to score the try if we take the kick? really tests a team's confidence and mentality.

xclusv-aj

HSC
Go The BULLDOGSSS!!!

great win for the doggies at the moment 2nd on the ladder, just shows that with out willie and omeley, they can still stand as a team to beat the tigers who were undefeated until that game.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
xclusv-aj said:
Go The BULLDOGSSS!!!

great win for the doggies at the moment 2nd on the ladder, just shows that with out willie and omeley, they can still stand as a team to beat the tigers who were undefeated until that game.
they may have a good for an against, but they're still only equal 9th on points. not that amazing champ

xclusv-aj

HSC
i know that LOL but considering how much everyone has been doubting the bulldogs season for this year...they have done pretty good so far

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
xclusv-aj said:
Go The BULLDOGSSS!!!

even though i heart the dogs with my heart, they dont bloody need omeily and mason, they are playing fucken shockings in roosters. Omeley is a pathetic forward, gettings smashed every tackle, you watch the next match and mason in roosters, always laying back in the pack.

I hate the dogs, but impressive win over the tigers without maitua

ledzeppelin

HSC
Omium said:
even though i heart the dogs with my heart, they dont bloody need omeily and mason, they are playing fucken shockings in roosters. Omeley is a pathetic forward, gettings smashed every tackle, you watch the next match and mason in roosters, always laying back in the pack.
Yeah, Mason made a really "fucken shockings" 27 tackles, 0 misses and 151 metres on the weekend, while O'Meley made over 100 pathetic metres as well - that's more than any of the Dogs forwards besides SBW made today

blakegman

HSC
N/A
xclusv-aj said:
i know that LOL but considering how much everyone has been doubting the bulldogs season for this year...they have done pretty good so far
you sound like a sharks fan though haha

Win a few games ealry in the season and start claiming the minor premiership, before the inevitable mid season crash.

ledzeppelin

HSC
wuddie said:
because every player on the field knows there is 80min in the game and if a team scored the field goal in the dying seconds (par the last 10), the other team has a chance to equalise or better it. but in extra time, the other team has no chance whatsoever.

a winning try, however, is much harder to score. and if a team concedes a try in the extra time, they are much more deserving losers.
I just don't see the logic in this.
You're deserving losers too if you allow the opposition team to make it into a position to be able to take a shot at field in extra time.
Also, what if one team commits a blatant penalty, ie obstructing a player chasing an attacking kick? Surely then the other team can justifiably win by way of a penalty goal?

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
a blatant penalty will be justified by sin bins or send offs, or in the event of an inevitable try to be scored, a penalty try.

the point is, this system discourages shots at goal because it is way too simple for a team to win from a tight 80min game. you have to admit a try is more exciting and harder to score than a lousy kick at the posts.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Cowboys ? aren't they 0-3 ?

Aren't tigers 2-1 ?

other then that seems ok to me

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
after watching the footy show's interview with mason and sbw, i've come to a few (perhaps premature) conclusions;

1. mason isn't ready to admit his ego is the biggest factor behind his move.
2. gus gould would defend any roosters player regardless of their actions.
3. if mason only really wanted malcolm noad to be out of there, he would have said something about regretting leaving the dogs, because noad is no longer there.
4. sbw clearly has not finished his hsc, failed to answer 1 single question directly the entire night, which begs the question - what is the average iq of a footy player?
5. you have to give credit to sbw for the way he is so straightforward about the whole mason saga.

i am hoping for a biffo tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)