2008 NRL Premiership (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
JFK said:
dont be such a cunt to a guy whose never done anything but compete at 100%
How old is he now? Minichello is the fullback that just seems to have been around for many many years. Made his debut in what year?

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
nope, it was someone called luke phillips who was the fb. back then, fitler was still playing, stuart was the coach and fitzy still had hair. mini was in and out on the wing.

i was surprised to read that folkes, kevin moore (the incoming coach) and chris anderson are all brother-in-laws. i wonder what they talk about when they have a family gathering. kevin moore's father also coached the dogs. so that means the dogs has been coached by the same family for the last 30 odd years.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
His last few years have been shockers, but he was good in his prime.

He was the one that guided Melbourne Storm to their premiership in only their 2nd year in the comp back in 1999. I don't think he did himself much good by staying in as long as he did, but in my opinion he wasn't as overrated as you make it sound.
Granted he won the premiership with melbourne, but they had some fantastic players. I mainly thought about the Cronulla years were they consistently under acheived year in year out. Then the same thing happened at the roosters.

So ill agree i probably exaggerated but i still don't think of him too highly.

ledzeppelin

HSC
wuddie said:
nope, it was someone called luke phillips who was the fb.
An absolute legend.
He was instrumental in our grand final victory (despite playing with a busted shoulder).
Also put on one of the best tackles I've ever seen in the Roosters v. Knights 2000 Preliminary Final. Joe-E Johns chips and regathers, has Sean Rudder (lol) along with numerous others in support, with only Phillips to beat. Phillips manages to force Johns into a pass, then gets across to absolutely smash Rudder with his shoulder and shut down the play.

edit: Just watched some highlights from that game :D. God it was good. Down 16-2 at halftime, the Roosters, led by Freddy, then proceed to score 24 points in the second half (including Fittler intercepting a pass from Johns to score - complete domination) to win 26-20 and book a place in the Grand Final.

Last edited:

ledzeppelin

HSC
Anyone else out at the game last Friday? Great crowd.
Complete domination by the Roosters. Their defensive line isn't going to be easily cracked this season. Mitch Pearce has really improved this season. I had to laugh at Steve Folkes in the post game interview, saying that he thought the Dogs were at least as good as the Roosters in the first half.

Last edited:

historykidd

HSC
JFK said:
++

show some respect, he was, and may still be, the nsw fullback incumbent.

ledzeppelin

HSC
ledzeppelin said:
My thoughts on the season ahead:
Melbourne - Still the team to beat. Don't know if Folau will be as effective as last year

Brisbane - Will be up there as always, especially if Wallace can create an effective combination with Lockyer

Penrith - Don't have the halves (plus Elliot is their coach). Will miss the 8

Dogs - Don't have the halves or outside backs. I don't think Folkes will last the season. Will miss the 8

Wests - No halfback or forwards, not to mention poor defence. Will miss the 8

Newcastle - Still rebuilding. Will be competitive, but just lack the class to make the 8.

Roosters - Depends on their halves. If Pearce can become a consistent first grader, should at least make the top 8.

Eels - Will be in the 8 again, but can't win the comp if Finch is still in the team

Will do the other 8 teams later
Thought I should finish this. Based of how I felt pre-season, not taking into account what's happened already this season:

Cowboys - Depend too much on Thurston. Should make the 8, but don't have the class throughout their top 17 to challenge the top 4 teams.

Warriors - Lacking a dominant half. When it comes to the finals, Witt and Rovelli just aren't good enough. Should make the bottom half of the 8 still.

Souths - Good forwards, shit backs. Won't make the 8. Wing won't be their saviour in the halves - only ever played well there with or under Fittler.

Canberra - As usual, will win at home and lose away. Won't win the spoon, but won't make the 8 either. Their backline when fully fit is very potent, however they don't have much depth throughout the squad. Need a hooker as well.

Dragons - Tough team to predict. Soward and Chase could be a very good combo if Brown sticks with them, however they're both inexperience and so will have their ups and downs throughout the season. Need a hooker desperately. Could make the 8 if injuries permit.

Sharks - Will make the 8. Coached by Stuart, and with Bird and Gallen in the team, they're going to be a tough team to play every week, although I think they'll lack the points to make the top 4.

Titans - Don't have the depth or class from 1-17 to be genuine title contenders. Like Canberra, they'll be good at home and worse away. May scrape into the 8.

Manly - The loss of Monaghan will hit them hard. Will in all likelyhood still make the 8, however I think they'll struggle to get points on the board. If Lyon plays 5/8th the entire season, they'll be in all sorts of trouble. Can't see them making the Grand Final again.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
yeah the roosters killed it against the dogs last wk man. the dogs were playing good too, but roosters defence line man, unbreakable. and how good was sonny bill. love that guy

Paj20

HSC
JFK said:
I agree.

At least NSW players dont constantly talk about 'spirit'. Have you heard Ben Iken?. Hes the most biasis commentator ever. All he talks about is QLD teams. Its like theres only 1 side on the field. And this so called 'spirit' him and warren always go on about is a bit of a joke. They make out as if NSW just play and the QLD have all the 'spirit' in the game. I hope NSW smash em good this year.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Paj20 said:
I agree.

At least NSW players dont constantly talk about 'spirit'. Have you heard Ben Iken?. Hes the most biasis commentator ever. All he talks about is QLD teams. Its like theres only 1 side on the field. And this so called 'spirit' him and warren always go on about is a bit of a joke. They make out as if NSW just play and the QLD have all the 'spirit' in the game. I hope NSW smash em good this year.
That also shits me. but to be fair NSW always does field a team full of stars while a lot of queenslanders are unknown to semi casual rugby fans. So i kind of see the assertion. But it is bullshit, passion is an individual quality, you cant generalise a whole team.

powerdrive

HSC
JFK said:
i wasnt laughing at him personally, just that the roosters will miss him for a bit :p

i reckon he's a top player, enjoy watching him play. hope he comes back soon for nsw

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
speaking of origin, nsw is really going to struggle for halves this year. now that jarrod mullen is looking to miss the first game, kimmorley is not even in the running, anasta will fill one of the spots, but who is going to play halfback? if someone says robbie farah i will choke them. we need to borrow cronk or someone.

is todd carney nsw-elshman?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
wuddie said:
speaking of origin, nsw is really going to struggle for halves this year. now that jarrod mullen is looking to miss the first game, kimmorley is not even in the running, anasta will fill one of the spots, but who is going to play halfback? if someone says robbie farah i will choke them. we need to borrow cronk or someone.

is todd carney nsw-elshman?
carney is from goulburn, so yes.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Grand final deja vu for manly. Geez they're really missing monaghan in their attack.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
ok, in that case, here's my prelimenary team, subject to change,

stewart
hayne
gasnier
bird/lyon - we need someone with a bit of versatility, can tackle and play make
quinn
anasta
carney/orford - orford deserves a go, but depends whether the selectors go for youth or experience. if they pick someone out of their position at halfback, i will put the white flag up for us
fitzgibbon
mason
hindmarsh
ryles/kite
buderus - why i didn't pick farrah is that he got an injury and he hasn't done as well as bedsy so far in the season
o'meley - really deserves it, quiet performer

bench
gidley
ryan
hoffman
tupou/lafranchi (is he nsw) - both deserving players.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
wuddie said:

stewart
hayne
gasnier
quinn
anasta
carney/orford - orford deserves a go, but depends whether the selectors go for youth or experience. if they pick someone out of their position at halfback, i will put the white flag up for us
fitzgibbon
mason
hindmarsh
ryles/kite
buderus - why i didn't pick farrah is that he got an injury and he hasn't done as well as bedsy so far in the season

bench
gidley
ryan
hoffman
You seemed to have missed Cameron Smith, Dallas Johnson, Michael Crocker, Greg Inglis and Israel Folau all incumbents from the 2007 team.

I think you definately need to add in at least:

- Billy Slater
- Cooper Cronk
- Inglis/Folau on the wing
- Cameron Smith

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
blue_chameleon said:
You seemed to have missed Cameron Smith, Dallas Johnson, Michael Crocker, Greg Inglis and Israel Folau all incumbents from the 2007 team.

I think you definately need to add in at least:

- Billy Slater
- Cooper Cronk
- Inglis/Folau on the wing
- Cameron Smith
I think he was talking about the NSW origin team wasn't he? :p

Muz4PM

HSC
wuddie said:

stewart
hayne
gasnier
quinn
anasta
fitzgibbon
mason
hindmarsh
ryles/kite

bench
gidley
ryan
hoffman
-Ryles can be axed, put in Kite.
-I don't think Bird is a centre, if you want Bird put him on the bench or at lock. I think Bird is a really good ball playing lock, not so much a five-eight, although he could play the position if he wanted. So, Lyon or Cooper in the centres. ]
-I think Orford has done enough to warrent selection at half back for NSW. I know Manly went down this evening, but I think he has strung enough good performaced together to be picked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)