• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 Preliminary Roll Call (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eloquence

HSC
Hi all~!

I'm doing:

HSC Chemistry -- =|
Biology -- =]
3 Maths -- =(
3 English -- xD
Music 1 -- xD

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Eloquence said:
Hi all~!

I'm doing:

HSC Chemistry -- =|
Biology -- =]
3 Maths -- =(
3 English -- xD
Music 1 -- xD
How do you accelerate in a subject? I am currently accelerated in Mathematics and Extension because our school provides that particular acceleration course. How did you accelerate in your case? Did you have that course running or did you ask your study-coordinator for that?

mfinlays

HSC
yeah, i'm doing really boring but ok subjects this year.

- 2 Unit Religion
- 2 Unit Legal Studies
- 2 Unit Business Studies
- 2 Unit Standard English
- 2 Unit General Maths
- 2 Unit Modern History

Our midcourse exams are like starting this friday... have no idea why, all the other schools start like next term week 2... anyway...

JayJayz22

HSC
Hi!

Hey all,
I've had this account for a little while now, so I've figured, hey, I'm going to post something today. So hi to everyone, I'm in year eleven right now.
My half-yearlies start in a week!
The subjects I'm doing are:
English Advanced
Exglish Extension
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension
Biology
Chemistry
French Continuers
Critical Thinking - Philosophy (a distinction course through Macquarie University)
Good luck this year everyone! :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Hi!

Wow, philosophy. :)
You should post more often JayJayz22. :D

Eloquence

HSC
lyounamu said:
How do you accelerate in a subject? I am currently accelerated in Mathematics and Extension because our school provides that particular acceleration course. How did you accelerate in your case? Did you have that course running or did you ask your study-coordinator for that?
Well, our school has this program thing for science, they choose the top 1/4 of the grade in Yr 8, then they do the Yr 9 and Yr 10 course in Yr 9, so that means in Yr 10 we did Yr 11 work, and now we do Yr 12 work in Year 11...
=D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Wow, that's awesome. Good luck with that.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Eloquence said:
Well, our school has this program thing for science, they choose the top 1/4 of the grade in Yr 8, then they do the Yr 9 and Yr 10 course in Yr 9, so that means in Yr 10 we did Yr 11 work, and now we do Yr 12 work in Year 11...
=D
1/4 as in 25%? That's quite broad! At my school only top 10 basically get to be accelerated and people who did not initially get selected must get over 95% in exam and prove Mathematics Co-ordinator that he can do it (with further interview).

Eloquence

HSC
lyounamu said:
1/4 as in 25%? That's quite broad! At my school only top 10 basically get to be accelerated and people who did not initially get selected must get over 95% in exam and prove Mathematics Co-ordinator that he can do it (with further interview).
Yeah it is sorta, but over the years people start to drop it...so I think we have maybe 25 people doing the HSC course in our grade? It said somewhere that we're expected to stay near the top end of the exams, and if people don't do that well they get talked to by the science head teacher..

FugitiveGirl

HSC
Hello :) These are my prelim. subjects:

English advanced :eek:
Maths :gridnod:
Maths Extension :axedeath:
Chemistry :eek:
Physics :gridnod:
Biology :eek:
Japanese Beginners :ninja:

Btw, I've noticed so many people do all the three sciences :eek: I'm guessing it means an exodus of '09ers aiming for medicine/law/[enter prestigious course here] ?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
At my school, only 2U math is accelerated, and they picked 50 people out of 110 in year 8 to be accelerated. I'm one of them. Selective schools are a bit weird,

Aplus

HSC
N/A
50 out of 110 people being accelerated seems way too many.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
like half the year was accelerated! theres 2 full classess for accelerated. besides, selective schools are weird.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
FugitiveGirl said:
Btw, I've noticed so many people do all the three sciences. I'm guessing it means an exodus of '09ers aiming for medicine/law/[enter prestigious course here] ?
If you pointed that out, then I'm guessing you are as well? :).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
50 out of 110 people being accelerated seems way too many.
We have way more than that. In Year 8 - 30 people accelerated in English. In Year 10, about 24 people accelerated in Business Studies, 25 in Modern, 10 in Music, 10 in Visual Design, 7 in Latin, 3 in Classical Greek, and 1 in Chemistry.

In Year 11, about 120 students accelerate in 2U Maths, and do HSC 2U at the end of this year.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
We have way more than that. In Year 8 - 30 people accelerated in English. In Year 10, about 24 people accelerated in Business Studies, 25 in Modern, 10 in Music, 10 in Visual Design, 7 in Latin, 3 in Classical Greek, and 1 in Chemistry.

In Year 11, about 120 students accelerate in 2U Maths, and do HSC 2U at the end of this year.
120!!!!!! That's way too many. I know that Sydney Boys people are smart but not all of them have that capacity to accelerate. I had several accelerated boys in my Matrix tutoring and I easily kicked every single one of them, probably by 20 or 30%. It's going to do more harm than goods.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
FugitiveGirl said:
Btw, I've noticed so many people do all the three sciences :eek: I'm guessing it means an exodus of '09ers aiming for medicine/law/[enter prestigious course here] ?
Decided against three sciences despite the fact science is my 2nd best subject. Wanted to do a variety of subjects to excel in one of them.

Ended up doing 2 sciences. Love both subjects but I wish I did Geography or History to have a different variety of subject.

WhirledPeas

HSC
Aerath said:
What have you heard? If you're planning on doing Extension 1, and your school offers it (most schools should), then, I don't see why you can't do it.
well i heard that in year 12 you can only do ext 2,
but then other people say you can do ext 1 or ext 2.. which makes a lot more sense!

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
120!!!!!! That's way too many. I know that Sydney Boys people are smart but not all of them have that capacity to accelerate. I had several accelerated boys in my Matrix tutoring and I easily kicked every single one of them, probably by 20 or 30%. It's going to do more harm than goods.
Matrix Education?

sikhman

HSC
N/A
lol a lot of people who go to tutoring need help....not all, but some do....maybe that explains it...

our school only has like one person accelerate every couple of years....however a few years back one guy skipped year 10....and got 99.95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)