2008 tax return thread (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
I'm getting just over $1000. I thought I was getting less, but oh well. :p

Fuck me, they took a lot from me this year. Stupid bad luck Labor & Kevin Rudd. I could of swore I got more from the previous tax return and I only worked part time.

I'm not giving my tax return to charity, not this year though :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'm getting about the same as last year. Around $1200. Which is good because I've been living at bare minimum, financially because of volunteer work I've been doing instead.

Can't find my last tax return logdement and need that NOA. Thinking of cleaning my room, and by 4pm if I can't find it, I'll call the tax office.

roadcone

HSC
errr chicky pie i think your logic is somewhat flawed. of course you would have got more tax back only working part time - progressive tax system and such.

Jon73

human dick-tionary
HSC
milocole said:
Me ex Empplyer, Maccas, will proably see my group certificate and tear it up lol, is this illegal
yeah i wanna know this too. perhaps call the ATO. revenge and tax at the same time.

thaoiiiee

HSC
N/A
Thank goodness I'm getting a refund back this year, been paying tax like crazy every year. Should be getting around 500. I'm thinking about claiming for car expenses, how should I go about doing this.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
thaoiiiee said:
Thank goodness I'm getting a refund back this year, been paying tax like crazy every year. Should be getting around 500. I'm thinking about claiming for car expenses, how should I go about doing this.
Without knowing what your job is, its easiest to say this: If you don't want to have a debt for claiming something you're not entitled to, see an accountant.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
~1.92k back *woohoo* - man the ato was fast this year! it took like 5 days for them to process it.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
How I'm spending it, I reckon, go to portmans/sportsgirl, buy %$@*loads of stuff

The rest, I'm taking two friends out to dinner I reckon. Somewhere swanky.

lala2

Banned
HSC
If you hold multiple jobs, you just list them and the ABNs under that table in the first quesiton you have, yeah? And I was paid in cash for one job but the employer gave me a group cert? Of course it says there no tax withheld but do I need to register this job as well since I didn't pay any tax?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
1. yeah list abn's etc
2. nah don't, don't make it complex for yourself

lala2

Banned
HSC
Thanks uic! Also, for the next question with allowances and income from which tax was not withheld, would I put in that cash income plus allowances? But how would I know if I got taxed on my allowances? :confused: or should I not bother? With that cash and allowances it only comes out to $175, is it worth the trouble reporting it?

P.S. Should I report my HELP debt? As I'm halfway through a course and obviously I don't earn enough to repay back, what should I do?

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
you don't need to report a hecs debt until you have graduated and earn enough to pay back (last i checked it was years ago, and that was something like $40Kp.a.)

Allowances like ones you get from centrelink are classed as income too. Your allowances from centrelink do not have tax withheld by default. You need to speak to centrelink and ask them to withhold some money. I would suggest that if you are earning quite a bit of money over the next financial year, that you ask centrelink to put away $15 a fortnight, which is about right for a "second income".

You would put your youth allowance under the part where it asks you whether you get youth allowance/austudy/pension/etc.

If you're talking about a different sort of allowance, like something from your parents, don't put that in. If it's a different allowance, let me know.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Thanks :) however, the allowance I'm referring to is by my employer. Here it gets really confusing--I've actually received two group certs by the same employer but both with different ABNs so what I did was report them separately under that first table.

So for the first group cert, I had gross sum of $5169 with total tax withheld of $906 and underneath all of those four boxes like CDEP, other income and reportable fringe benefits, I had "allowances paid" which lists holiday pay of $15 and uniform of $68.

Second group cert (under different ABN but same employer) I had gross sum of $300 and tax withheld of $54, and under the allowances paid section I had holiday pay of $24. It's confusing because the time period over which this group cert covers is within the first group cert!

So what do I do with the allowances now? Am I right in reporting the two group certs separately as they have different ABNs?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Why do you have 2 group certificates? Did you go under an agency or something?

Safe bet is to list them like two different jobs, so long as none of the payments overlap each other.

I get what you mean now by allowances. There is a section in the etax where it asks you about uniform/travel expences etc that are work related, just claim as its quoted. Keep that allowance in that section. If you can't find it let me know, and I'll try and find which section.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Thanks so much uic! I've now lodged my tax return...as for the two ABNs, that was because management changed--a new proprietor was added. I didn't know you had to do that...thought you just had to hand in a form with change of proprietor details or something :confused:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yay turns out i'm eligible for the entrepreneur's tax offset, which also means that I don't have to pay any tax and am getting a $90 refund. Yay :D

lala2

Banned
HSC
Haha, good work stazi. What does that actually mean?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)