2009 HSC Genetics Option (1 Viewer)

bayan92

HSC
Discuss your answers to the genetics option here.

a) (i) A, B and O
(ii) Punnet square and 25% chance of O

b) (i) Bt corn
(ii) Greater variation --> more chance of surviving in an environment change

c) Location 1 = Transcription
Location 2 and 3 = Translation

d) What are linked genes and talked about the practical we did.

e) Mutations --> Sickle cell anaemia and Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic Fibrosis --> Cause and symptoms
Process of Gene Therapy --> Recombinant DNA technology and dripping into the lungs

Venom.

HSC
I swear I pretty much did exactly what you did; except not sickle cell, I just did cystic fibrosis. Fukn good section tbh, the 7 marker was open to ranting about all forms of mutations etc.

Good good test.

Bunzhou

HSC
i swear i pretty much did exactly what you did; except not sickle cell, i just did cystic fibrosis. Fukn good section tbh, the 7 marker was open to ranting about all forms of mutations etc.

Good good test.
+1

hermine

HSC

Process of Gene Therapy --> Recombinant DNA technology and dripping into the lungs

i was tossing up between putting cystic fibrosis in there because its not caused by mutation, its caused by inheritance of homozygous recessive inheritance. so I ranted on about down syndrome and the potential of gene therapy cause the question asked "could lead to management...using gene therapy" :S
the rest of the option was pretty straight forward though, fair test

Lachycharts

Don't afraid of anything!
HSC

a) (i) A, B and O
(ii) Punnet square and 25% chance of O

b) (i) Bt corn
(ii) Greater variation --> more chance of surviving in an environment change

c) Location 1 = Transcription
Location 2 and 3 = Translation

d) What are linked genes and talked about the practical we did.

A)i) Was I^A, I^B and I^O - You probably won't get that mark because A, B and O refer to blood type ---> phenotype. But meh.

B)ii) I am pretty sure it said benefit to humans which doesn't really answer the question. Also, with cloning there is less variation and hence less chance of surviving an environmental change.

hermine

HSC
A)i) Was I^A, I^B and I^O - You probably won't get that mark because A, B and O refer to blood type ---> phenotype. But meh.
I think the allele for O is i not I^O, it's the recessive alelle of the three

cd285

HSC
what the hell were they asking for regarding the model of linkage question???
i went on about chromosome maps and how they help identify linked genes anybody willing to share what they put?

Venom.

HSC
what the hell were they asking for regarding the model of linkage question???
i went on about chromosome maps and how they help identify linked genes anybody willing to share what they put?
They wanted you to talk about a prac you did for modelling gene linkage. I linked it in with linked genes/crossing over leading to recombinants etc. My prac was pretty bullshit, we did it with snakes and gummy bears LOL

Lachycharts

HSC
We did one of our assessments on gene linkage so wrote 6 pages on that: what it was, examples, showed a model then demonstrated the effect on expression using punnet squares, etc.
I wrote 12 pages in total for genetics.

Venom.

HSC
We did one of our assessments on gene linkage so wrote 6 pages on that: what it was, examples, showed a model then demonstrated the effect on expression using punnet squares, etc.
I wrote 12 pages in total for genetics.
6 pages for six marks? Eh. I wrote 3 for the 7 marker, and I think I covered everything required.

Lachycharts

HSC
Well, actually, maybe it was four pages? And I had models and working out so that made up quite a lot of it.

And yeah, I didn't really like the 7 marker but I think I wrote 5 pages for that one. I gave a description on all Arrangements (deletion, invertion, translocation and duplication/amplification), Chromosome number changes (trisomy and polyploidy) then gene mutations (substituation and frameshift) and then talked about Cystic Fibrosis and then I read an article in the newspaper while I was at study camp about an NRG gene being in 50% of all breast cancer patients and so I said that a greater understanding of the mutations could be used to create new therapies for that, etc. I rambled like hell but the content was there...hopefully ha ha.

Lachycharts

HSC
What the hell, isn't it:

• A - IAIA or IAi
  • B - IBIB or IBi
  • AB - IAIB
  • O - ii
Your A and B ones are right.
And your O looks right too, it's just that I have always been taught that the allele for O type is IO but I think they will be a tad lenient. If not, meh. 1 mark.

brodiee

HSC
i wrote about how the better understanding has led to better use of genetic therapy. i did two examples not sure if correct.
Cancer tumours- how scientists insert genes from virus's into the tumour so the body recognises it as 'foreign' and attacks it
and i also just did the standard cystic fibrosis example.
could the cancer one work? cos reli a tumour is a mutation lol

tiffuneez

Your idol
HSC
my example of cloning was dolly the sheep (pathetic i know, but i couldnt think of anything else :( ) and for the one benefit i just said all this bullshit about replacing tissues. I don't think that's correct though....

arjungamer123

HSC
my example of cloning was dolly the sheep (pathetic i know, but i couldnt think of anything else :( ) and for the one benefit i just said all this bullshit about replacing tissues. I don't think that's correct though....
I wrote about Dolly too. It's valid. I wrote that the advantages are mostly economical- because if we replicate a sheep with good characteristics, such as good wool yields, farmers can get more money etc.

For the 7 marker, I did what others did, where I rambled on what gene mutations, base mutations and chromosome number arrangements are and sai how gene therapy could be used in each case. I.e- if a trisomy occurs, we can replace the whole genome with a genome of proper chromosome number and thus resolve the problem.

Triquetral

HSC
I swear I pretty much did exactly what you did; except not sickle cell, I just did cystic fibrosis. Fukn good section tbh, the 7 marker was open to ranting about all forms of mutations etc.

Good good test.
Ahhh good good. I went on a massive rant about different mutations, gene cloning, recombinant DNA, gene therapy for cystic fibrosis...felt like a "State everything you learn't in the genetic module" type question lol. Slightly annoyed everyone found the exam pretty easy as well but hey what can you do...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)