2009 HSC Genetics Option (1 Viewer)

greatgreeks2

HSC
about the allele question i think u just needed to say A B O

some people are saying AA AO BB BO AB B OO but no thats not right becuse they are phenotypes not alleles

Triquetral

HSC
^ lol nup those people are wrong.

I think they would accept:
- A, B, O
- I^A, I^B, I^O
- I^A, I^B, i

Because they are all used pretty often in replacement of one another...but AA AO business is just wrong lol

greatgreeks2

HSC
hey also for the last 7 marker i didt finish it

but i mentiond cystic fibrosis, and the way to treat it quciky do u think i could get 2 marks for that</SPAN>

Triquetral

HSC
Ummm. Yeah I personally feel you would. I'm no teacher but if you explained the question just a tad and how greater knowledge of genetic mutation links to cystic fibrosis (cbf to explain but I'm sure u know the links) u'd probably get at least 2 marks...if not even 3 if the marker is easy or you explained what you could in pretty specific details.

greatgreeks2

HSC
Discuss your answers to the genetics option here.

a) (i) A, B and O
(ii) Punnet square and 25% chance of O

b) (i) Bt corn
(ii) Greater variation --> more chance of surviving in an environment change

c) Location 1 = Transcription
Location 2 and 3 = Translation

d) What are linked genes and talked about the practical we did.

e) Mutations --> Sickle cell anaemia and Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic Fibrosis --> Cause and symptoms
Process of Gene Therapy --> Recombinant DNA technology and dripping into the lungs
for a) it didnt ask for the chance of getting O as long as u showed that the phenotype is O then ur fine. u had to say phenotype
for b) it said clone 'bt' is not a clone and also it wanted an advantage for humans not for the plant
for c) location 1 was transcription location 2 was the mrna leaving the numcleus and binding to the ribosome and location 3 was translation.
for d) u had to identify what u did and y u did each step of the prac making sure u mentioned linkage and crossingover.
for e) good

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Hey guys please tell me what I could possibly get.

For the Clone example I said Dolly the Sheep and the benefit I talked about, having an abundance of meat ( LMAO) :(, then I talked how it helps scientists practice and what they learn can one day be applied to humans, which means we can get organs with no rejection.

What will I get out of 3 for the second part of the clone question

Also for the 6 marker on the model. I defined what gene linkage was, talked about how they follow Mendels laws ( they come in the 3: 1 ratio instaed of the 9:3:3:1) and said using punnet squares helps indentify patterns, Can I get atleast 2/6 for that.

For the 7 marker I talked about Chromosome mutations, gene mutations gave examples, then talked about what gene therapy was, DNA hybridiation and the method for attmepting to cure Cystic Fibrosis.

7/7 for that?

Thanks heaps.

greatgreeks2

HSC
i would say

3/3

2/6

for the 7 marker im not sure because it said "some diseases" so i assume u needed to talk about more than just cystic F

mcdonaja

HSC
Hey guys.
for the 7 marker i didnt talk about mutations in specific at all (i.e. didnt mention or describe types of mutations), but just said HOW understanding of them leads to blah blah blah with examples of treatment of cystic fibrosis and diabetes. i can still get full marks with that right? it didnt ask us to describe or identify mutations.

jackydoll

HSC
Discuss your answers to the genetics option here.

a) (i) A, B and O
(ii) Punnet square and 25% chance of O

b) (i) Bt corn
(ii) Greater variation --> more chance of surviving in an environment change

c) Location 1 = Transcription
Location 2 and 3 = Translation

d) What are linked genes and talked about the practical we did.

e) Mutations --> Sickle cell anaemia and Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic Fibrosis --> Cause and symptoms
Process of Gene Therapy --> Recombinant DNA technology and dripping into the lungs
For question d) I talked about linkage maps and referred to cross breeding of Indian corn:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)