2010 s&c kids (1 Viewer)

speedofsound

HSC
started contemplating pip topics yet? may relieve some unnecessary stress come the beginning of next term...

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Yeah I have. It's a good-ish topic, very society and culture, but hardly any secondary information.
That has to be a bad move...
Idk, still thinking.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
heaps of idea's, all of which will be difficult.
the most viable idea i've had is rather generic.

something along the lines of how representation of mental illness shapes peoples perceptions. lame. i wanted to do something language related but i wouldn't have any avenues to research it as i live in one of the whitest towns ever.

what are you doing?

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yeah I have. It's a good-ish topic, very society and culture, but hardly any secondary information.
Idk, still thinking.
whats the topic?

speedofsound

HSC
Idk, still thinking.
it wouldn't disadvantage you a whole heap though, would it? considering the pip is pretty much all primary research... and considering there's hardly any secondary information, it must be pretty original. :)

heaps of idea's, all of which will be difficult.
the most viable idea i've had is rather generic.

something along the lines of how representation of mental illness shapes peoples perceptions. lame. i wanted to do something language related but i wouldn't have any avenues to research it as i love in one of the whitest towns ever.

what are you doing?
yeah i'm so worried whatever i think of is gonna be too generic. my teacher goes over topics to avoid you know like binge drinking, anorexia, etc that just get overdone, but i think that's a really good idea! while i'm sure mental illnesses have been done, it's a different spin on it and can bring in all those society & culture terms like perception, values.

ehh i have a general idea of what area i wanna cover, sexuality, but yet to hone in on a specific, less generic element of it. i'll let you know. ;)

Jeee

Banned
HSC
whats the topic?
I haven't come up with an actual, rounded topic, but I wanted to examine (micro) the tension between Palestinian and Lebanese groups within Australia and the hegemonic attitude Lebanese youth hold in particular towards Palestinians. Macro/ will be studying the political factions, tension, and the Lebanese laws that restrict Palestinians over-the-seas, its effects etc
My hypothesis will probably be like politics and identity, cross-cultural component - the cohesive identity and individual identity of each group, something like that. I don't know! : (

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I haven't come up with an actual, rounded topic, but I wanted to examine (micro) the tension between Palestinian and Lebanese groups within Australia and the hegemonic attitude Lebanese youth hold in particular towards Palestinians. Macro/ will be studying the political factions, tension, and the Lebanese laws that restrict Palestinians over-the-seas, its effects etc
My hypothesis will probably be like politics and identity, cross-cultural component - the cohesive identity and individual identity of each group, something like that. I don't know! : (
hm, if you're going to do a lot of primary research on this you're going to have to tread very, very carefully.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
it wouldn't disadvantage you a whole heap though, would it? considering the pip is pretty much all primary research... and considering there's hardly any secondary information, it must be pretty original. :)

yeah i'm so worried whatever i think of is gonna be too generic. my teacher goes over topics to avoid you know like binge drinking, anorexia, etc that just get overdone, but i think that's a really good idea! while i'm sure mental illnesses have been done, it's a different spin on it and can bring in all those society & culture terms like perception, values.

ehh i have a general idea of what area i wanna cover, sexuality, but yet to hone in on a specific, less generic element of it. i'll let you know. ;)
i think its almost impossible to come up with an original topic, but its putting that 'spin' on it which will make it distinctive.

i'm excited to hear everyones, we have a few potentially brilliant ones in my class and a few absolutely horrible ones.

speedofsound

HSC
i don't think anyone ever really visits here... :( or maybe no one has thought of anything yet? :)

Jusskah

HSC
Probably the latter :)

I've definitely been contemplating, but I'm struggling to find something viable as well as not too generic. My original idea was concerning the shifting trend towards an androgynous culture, but there's hardly any secondary information about it (at least concerning the Australian demographic), it's hard to find supporting evidence- and to be honest I don't find it as interesting as I did. I really wanted to do something about the political apathy of youth, but it's been done :|
My heart's set on the area of politics, but I'm struggling to find my own 'spin' on it.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
I have the same problem. Very little secondary information, and I'd rather do something political than my first idea, but my teacher is warning me about being biased etc
I'm still thinking about it.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
i think the other thing with political topics is that markers hold their own opinions on these issues, and it's very possible that your PIP will end up being marked subjectively.

kr73114

HSC
I am in year 10. I hope this is the right thread. I am slightly interested in doing S&C next year. I was wondering if someone could tell me if it is a good subject to choose.

jenga218

HSC
Hey, look! There's a thread for my year group about this! Teach me to post before checking for more suitable threads...
Copy/pasted from another Pip thread:

jenga218 said:
I've been thinking about this one, too. Since I pretty much failed my SGP, I figured I need to get a head start on the PIP if I want to do well.

The one idea that I've had is exploring the cultural differences found in Westernized countries. Such as comparing Australia with Canada and possibly the US.

After living in Canada for the first 16 years of my life, and spending a lot of time in the US over those years, and then moving to Australia, I could base a lot of my stuff on personal experience...I'm just concerned that I won't find enough other sources out there to help me with it...

I haven't had many other ideas besides that one that aren't overdone...I had a cousin suggest I do something about the key role Music plays in shaping today's society, but I'm pretty sure that one is pretty generic.

Thoughts?

allira92

HSC
i've had a few ideas but i think i might do something along the lines of celebrity, worship syndrome or something... is it to generic?

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
bump.
i think i've decided on the general direction of my topic...

how our perceptions of mental illness are shaped through its representation in the media.

speedofsound

HSC
Hey, look! There's a thread for my year group about this! Teach me to post before checking for more suitable threads...
Copy/pasted from another Pip thread:
i think your idea sounds good. you're lucky that you have that personal experience to be able to bring into your PIP. :)
i've had a few ideas but i think i might do something along the lines of celebrity, worship syndrome or something... is it to generic?
i quite like that idea. definitely talk it over with your teacher. it would be very interesting to do, definitely extremely relevant in today's society.

hn92

HSC
ARRRGH. its so hard to choose a topic my god ! SOME ONE GIVE ME IDEAS ! & person above contemplating mental illness - id recommend against, most people we have talked to have all strongly recommended against doing anything to do with mental illnesses ..

jenga218

HSC
Yeah, I'm still thinking of doing the comparison of Westernized cultures. But I'm also wondering if (again somewhat based on personal experience) I should do something on immigration. I think that one might have been a bit more than the first one, though.

My class was very inconveniently given a student teacher for the first 4 weeks of this term, and so we haven't done anything PIP related. I need to have a chat with my teacher about a good topic, and maybe pick apart my Dad's brain (those MAs in sociology and psychology have to be good for something, right? ;) ) as to what would make a good topic. He'll probably suggest domestic violence, though, as that's his passion. :rolleyes:

(this has been a very long and pointless ramble brought to you by yours truly....)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)