2012 Year 9 &10 Mathematics Marathon (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
I don't get anything after the word perimeter.
Its basically asking you to think of a semi circle whose area equals its perimeter. They then want you to prove that the radius of such a shape equals the result shown in the question.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Someone paraphrase question 8 because i don't get what it's trying to ask lmao
Interpreted: A semi-circle has the area equal to the perimeter. Prove that the radius of this circle is equal to the expression below.

Let 'r' be radius and form an equation.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Its basically asking you to think of a semi circle whose area equals its perimeter. They then want you to prove that the radius of such a shape equals the result shown in the question.
So long story short, it's asking me to prove that the area of a semi circle is equal to its perimeter? ok

enoilgam

HSC
So long story short, it's asking me to prove that the area of a semi circle is equal to its perimeter? ok
No - its asking you to think of a particular semi-circle which happens to have its perimeter equal to its area. Then you want to prove that the radius of that shape equals the result shown.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Someone tell me if i'm on the right track

So far I have:

1/2 x pi x r^2 (half the area of a circle) = pi x r + 2r (perimeter of a semi circle including the base which is the diameter)

inb4imalreadywrong

enoilgam

HSC
Someone tell me if i'm on the right track

So far I have:

1/2 x pi x r^2 (half the area of a circle) = pi x r + 2r (perimeter of a semi circle including the base which is the diameter)

inb4imalreadywrong
Keep going.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
For Q9, is it saying that the base is 1m longer than one of the equal sides, or the sum of both equal sides?

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Wait so now i have to make r the subject? since it's looking for the radius?

enoilgam

HSC
For Q9, is it saying that the base is 1m longer than one of the equal sides, or the sum of both equal sides?
I was unsure of this as well - to make matters more interesting, the school did not hand out solutions

Wait so now i have to make r the subject? since it's looking for the radius?
Yes, keep going.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
I can't :cry:

i'm stuckkk

EDIT: So far now, I have pi*r^2 = 2pi*r + 4r

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
One of the equal sides, not the sum of them. If this were the case then the lengths of the sides are not integers (think of a famous Pythagorean triad)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
My interpretation: Let 'x' be equal side of the isosceles triangle. Let 'x+1' be the base of the triangle.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
My interpretation: Let 'x' be equal side of the isosceles triangle. Let 'x+1' be the base of the triangle.
Yeah I've been messing around with that for a while now. I WILL GET THE ANSWER WAIT FOR IT LOL. Sy123 has pointed out some famous pythag triad I am unaware of, so I'm not going to google it :)

enoilgam

HSC
This is how I interpreted it - I just wanted to make sure (overall, this paper is a bit unlear in areas).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)