2012 Year 9 &10 Mathematics Marathon (1 Viewer)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Re: 2012 Year 9 &10 Mathematics Marathon

Ikr, its 9:30 already. Should enjoy a game of LoL
how much shit do you do in the holidays!? :O
I occasionally get quite busy during the holidays, especially on particular mornings and afternoons. You guys should add me on LoL. It's Demento1 (exact same username), however let's get back on topic guys.

Here's another interesting question which I stumbled upon, when ruffling through the papers on my shelf and I thought it might test some avid year 10 students:

If 935712 × N is a perfect cube for some positive integer N, find the minimum value of N.

Hint: Find the primes which multiply to make 935712.

Last edited:

qwerty44

HSC

I occasionally get quite busy during the holidays, especially on particular mornings and afternoons. You guys should add me on LoL. It's Demento1 (exact same username), however let's get back on topic guys.

Here's another interesting question which I stumbled upon, when ruffling through the papers on my shelf and I thought it might test some avid year 10 students:

If 935712 × N is a perfect cube for some positive integer N, find the minimum value of N.
Good question. Also realised your source of questions :p

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

Good question. Also realised your source of questions :p
Haha, no doubt from an AIMO paper I found on the shelf in my room. Also, it's best not to look at the solutions before giving it a go. No point reading the solutions without understanding. Though I'd be happy to explain the answer.

qwerty44

HSC

Haha, no doubt from an AIMO paper I found on the shelf in my room. Also, it's best not to look at the solutions before giving it a go. No point reading the solutions without understanding. Though I'd be happy to explain the answer.
That's true. Some people read solutions and think they understand, but when you give them a similar question, they have no idea.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

That's true. Some people read solutions and think they understand, but when you give them a similar question, they have no idea.
Exactly. You can rote learn to some extent, although a question of application generally throws off an average student.

Peeik

HSC

Is it bad if I don't know how to do any of them?
If you are in year 10 then it's not that bad (although a 5.3 should be more than capable).....if you are in year 11 then you "should" be able to do it.

nightweaver066

HSC

does anyone know how to do no.3?
With 3. , focus on the expression with the divide sign in front of it.

Notice the bottom is a perfect square, and if you put the two terms at the top together under a common denominator and factorise it (difference of two squares), you find things work nicely.

Fawun

Queen
HSC

If you are in year 10 then it's not that bad (although a 5.3 should be more than capable).....if you are in year 11 then you "should" be able to do it.
Well I'm in 5.3 and in year 10 :L I was also an accelerant so i'm going to take that it is bad haha. The only idea that I have for the third question is to change the division sign into a multiplication sign and reciprocate the fraction and that's it. To be honest, I don't even think that's what you're suppose to do LOL

Last edited:

ymcaec

HSC
N/A

Hint: Find the primes which multiply to make 935712.
The hint is really helpful :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

inb4 Rivalry comes to debate about this :p
I have no comments on Demento's statement. :(

Rote-learning has it's advantage of memory retention but one major fatal flaw is: anything unexpected thrown at you will throw you off indeed.

Tips to Years 9 & 10: Learn to look beyond your typical questions in a textbook and do more problem solving questions or challenging questions. (I didn't do this in my younger years and now I suffer from not being able to interpret lengthy/wordy questions)

bleakarcher

HSC

I have no comments on Demento's statement. :(

Rote-learning has it's advantage of memory retention but one major fatal flaw is: anything unexpected thrown at you will throw you off indeed.

Tips to Years 9 & 10: Learn to look beyond your typical questions in a textbook and do more problem solving questions or challenging questions. (I didn't do this in my younger years and now I suffer from not being able to interpret lengthy/wordy questions)
Weren't you interested in the more stimulating problems? I know I was.

iBibah

HSC

1. If triangle PQR has side lengths 80, 60 and 40, then the shortest height is K times the longest height. Find the value of K.
2. A regular hexagon in inscribed in a circle or radius R. The length of the shortest diagonal is , find R.

Last edited:
HSC

Here's a probability question for you guys

Bag A contains 4 green marbles and 4 red marbles. Bag B contains 3 green marbles and 1 red marble. Two marbles are drawn at random from Bag A and placed in Bag B. Two marbles are then drawn from Bag B.

Calculate the probability that two marbles drawn from Bag B are of different colours.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

Here's a probability question for you guys

Bag A contains 4 green marbles and 4 red marbles. Bag B contains 3 green marbles and 1 red marble. Two marbles are drawn at random from Bag A and placed in Bag B. Two marbles are then drawn from Bag B.

Calculate the probability that two marbles drawn from Bag B are of different colours.
Will take the time to read the Q. Not sure exactly as to what method I would use to solve it as of yet, but I'm hoping it will hit me soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)