2013 Performance Band Descriptors (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
The statistics in 2013 are almost completely different to the one's in 2012. Especially for MX1 and MX2 where the Band 6 percentage is at an all time low since 2007 (which had similar figures with MX1 higher and MX2 lower).
Although I think the MX1 exam in 2013 was harder than the 2012 exam, considering the ''godly'' aligning of the HSC 2013 MX1 exam results (the E4 cut-off for 2013 MX1 was like more than 5-6 marks lower than the 2012 MX1 E4 cut-off iirc)... it's ridiculous how the Band 6 percentage is at an all time low since like 2007.... In theory, the godly aligning should have helped raise the percentage...

As for MX2, the aligning for the 2013 exam was just slightly better (maybe a lower E4 cut-off by 3-4 marks in 2013 - comparing against the 2012 cut-off - can someone confirm?) compared to the 2012 exam. But the 2013 exam was supposedly ''easier'' than the 2012 exam, no? So easier exam + better aligning = higher percentage, no? Instead, the E4 conversion percentage dropped.
As someone who just scraped an E4 HSC mark (90 exactly) for 2013 MX2 with a 91 exam mark - I think the 2013 exam was just as hard as the 2012 exam though (the standard of difficulty did not drop really imho).
But let's say the exam difficulty stayed relatively the same... the better aligning should have helped?

Were the tests really that hard that even fantastic aligning could not help the percentage?

OR did our year group across the state just completely underperformed in MX1/MX2?

But I'm all happy for the strong aligning for MX1 + MX2 in 2013 cause I definitely benefitted from it :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I think with MX2, although the exam was easier for those looking for a state rank or getting above 80/100 raw, many questions were much more difficult than the usual ones in 2012. I felt in the MX2 exam, I got 30/30 in 11 and 12, but for 13 and 14 I completely bombed out getting around 7-8/15 in each (and after marking too). Then for 15 I got somewhat 11/15 and for the last question, I could not even find the angle alpha from the information and got probably 2/15. It took me ages to finish the exam too and did not really finish on time (I rushed mechonics).

And there were many gaps in my paper. Realistically I got around 62/78. When doing the 2012 paper for the first time I got around 70/90, because the questions were of medium difficulty.

The thing with the 2013 paper was that there were easy questions then hard questions. There were no medium difficulty questions which I could do here and there.

cadd1ct

The Chess Addict
HSC
Uni Grad
Most people who choose a language Extension unit are usually fluent at the language already and do it as an ATAR booster unit.

But people who just choose a Continuer's language are usually just trying to learn the language or have remnants of it but want to make it somewhat more solid.
LOL people who do extension have to do continuers and people who do continuers undergo a background check to prove that they have no prior education in the Japanese language (except from 7-10).

Hence unless they took an exchange year off to Japan to study.... it'll be pretty hard for them to be fluent at the language and being fluent in a language is bloody hard, even with 1 year in the native country, it's hard to do without having a strong Japanese background already. -.-

So people who attempt extension are like people who attempt MX2, they're looking for an extra challenge.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Wow lol. What does the background check consist?

Usually when I get a questions asking about my main language at home fro random forms, its English, though I can speak my native one fluently (not read and write).

What about someone who can speak the language (taught in the house or like a friend I had who was not Japanese but could speak it fluently because in other schools in other countries they were forced to learn 10 languages) but has not undertaken any prior formal study on it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)