Maths(2u): 3/87
Biology 3/44
Physics 6/32
Business Studies 2/80
Around 85+

You can almost pull a 90.

antounbros

HSC
i dont understand how school rank affects your hsc mark ?

someone explain this ?

It would simply not make sense

jdennis

HSC
i dont understand how school rank affects your hsc mark ?

someone explain this ?

It would simply not make sense
It seems very unfair that your ATAR would be in part determined by your school's achievement. Is this really how it works?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
You're right like it's not my fault that I had to come to the only school that was nearby, and the nearest 'top ranking' school is a good 45 away from me. I swear the system is fucked. It should be measured primarily on an individual's achievements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
You're right like it's not my fault that I had to come to the only school that was nearby, and the nearest 'top ranking' school is a good 45 away from me. I swear the system is fucked. It should be measured primarily on an individual's achievements.

Ahhhh!!!! Google it, read about it, find out!! Duxify.com might be a good, quick overview if you get an account. Is a very long and complex process but taking into account the inconsistencies and other aspects that need to be considered, trust me, it is pretty fair! Its not exactly your school rank that matters, but the performance of the rest of your cohort for each subject. Naturally, the performance of each subject cohort at a particular school is going to remain pretty consistent each year, and therefore the school rank can be used to determine the average performance of your cohort, and give you an estimate accordingly.

Sorry, but I seem to have grown an ill-mannered dislike for anyone who does not yet understand the system! :) Hope this helps!

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahhhh!!!! Google it, read about it, find out!! Duxify.com might be a good, quick overview if you get an account. Is a very long and complex process but taking into account the inconsistencies and other aspects that need to be considered, trust me, it is pretty fair! Its not exactly your school rank that matters, but the performance of the rest of your cohort for each subject. Naturally, the performance of each subject cohort at a particular school is going to remain pretty consistent each year, and therefore the school rank can be used to determine the average performance of your cohort, and give you an estimate accordingly.

Sorry, but I seem to have grown an ill-mannered dislike for anyone who does not yet understand the system! :) Hope this helps!
No you're not ill mannered, you're trying to make me understand something I apparently don't understand. And that's you being human. May I ask, what's your school rank? Please, don't be inclined to tell me. Because I have noticed the system seems to work for certain people only, which is why many defend it. And I applaud you for doing so, because it is not wrong, it is beneficial for you own gain. I would have done the same.

The thing is, who gives a fuck about my cohort? The reason why it's called assessments/exams is because it shows individual performance, not the cohort's.
In uni it's purely my marks, and no one else's. Am I right? So why should I ensure my fucking cohort lifts there socks up? Fuck means. Fuck the idea that an entire years worth of work is dependant on a shitty 2-3 hour exam, that can in no way demonstrate my ability accurately. Maybe I don't work well under pressure, but can write smashing Hamlet essays in a day? Maybe giving me 2 hours for 3 1000 word essays isn't the best idea because it doesn't give me time to provide sophisticated ideas? Sorry I am getting off topic. I don't mean to direct this at you because you seem lovely, but this is a message in response to the unjust system.

I will google it, because I clearly lack knowledge it. But still, it won't make me like the system because it is unjust, and many will agree with me.

Again, this is not directed at you, rather it is directed to the shitty system that I have been forced to take apart in. Thanks for enlightening me lovely! I'll go read about it now [emoji4]

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
No you're not ill mannered, you're trying to make me understand something I apparently don't understand. And that's you being human. May I ask, what's your school rank? Please, don't be inclined to tell me. Because I have noticed the system seems to work for certain people only, which is why many defend it. And I applaud you for doing so, because it is not wrong, it is beneficial for you own gain. I would have done the same.

The thing is, who gives a fuck about my cohort? The reason why it's called assessments/exams is because it shows individual performance, not the cohort's.
In uni it's purely my marks, and no one else's. Am I right? So why should I ensure my fucking cohort lifts there socks up? Fuck means. Fuck the idea that an entire years worth of work is dependant on a shitty 2-3 hour exam, that can in no way demonstrate my ability accurately. Maybe I don't work well under pressure, but can write smashing Hamlet essays in a day? Maybe giving me 2 hours for 3 1000 word essays isn't the best idea because it doesn't give me time to provide sophisticated ideas? Sorry I am getting off topic. I don't mean to direct this at you because you seem lovely, but this is a message in response to the unjust system.

I will google it, because I clearly lack knowledge it. But still, it won't make me like the system because it is unjust, and many will agree with me.

Again, this is not directed at you, rather it is directed to the shitty system that I have been forced to take apart in. Thanks for enlightening me lovely! I'll go read about it now [emoji4]

Hrrm, school rank a bit all over the joint. 2012 it was about 78 or something, 2013 somewhere between 130-150. Bit confusing actually when the 'school' is actually a whole heap of small campuses.

Yes, I see where you are coming from - it can work for some and stuff others around. Its really just a game, a very annoying one. I haven't found the 'close' button yet otherwise I would have hit it long ago! Those who learn the all cheats early win. Those who don't, loose. Those who walk out with that 99.95 aren't necessarily in anyway any smarter than yourself, or anyone - they just know all the ins and outs of the system, and manipulate it for their own good. Hey, I'm contradicting myself now! I did say it was 'pretty fair' before, but I can find plenty of reasons to argue against that thesis too!

The thing is, if you are doing alright within your cohort (rank-wise) - especially if you are first - then it won't really matter what the rest of the cohort does. Your assessment marks will be adjusted according to your rank. The exam marks you get are, precisely, what you get, probably a littler higher after B6 cutoffs are applied.

You'll be fine. It looks like you have Uni all sorted, so show 'em what your worth! :)

GL, sorry for my ranting... a bit too hasty! Cheers

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I get what you're saying and its not necessarily true that someone who gets 99.95 "must" be smarter than someone who gets say 70, ATAR is not an intelligence test I agree.

But this does seem to discredit the people who get 99.95 by suggesting that they're getting such marks based solely on their "manipulation of the system"... it seems to discredit their effort because this reflects a year of pure hard work (though ofc knowing the system well helps)
I think he's referring to those who only get 99.95 by purely learning the cheats, manipulating the system etc. And btw I totally agree with what you had to say. Sorry I couldn't reply, I'm actually studying for an exam lovely!

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
Haha I get what you're saying and its not necessarily true that someone who gets 99.95 "must" be smarter than someone who gets say 70, ATAR is not an intelligence test I agree.

But this does seem to discredit the people who get 99.95 by suggesting that they're getting such marks based solely on their "manipulation of the system"... it seems to discredit their effort because this reflects a year of pure hard work (though ofc knowing the system well helps)
Yep, true, I wasn't trying to discredit anyone with the calibre to achieve a ranking among the top 45-50 people in the state! It does require a lot of hard work, as well as consistent effort and definitely no slacking off! Having said that, the hard work can be minimised and focused solely towards the areas that it needs to be focused towards when the student knows how. Realistically I suppose that can only be achieved with the help and direction of others (siblings, tutors etc.) that have already done the HSC and know what is needed, and what can be cut.

NotCricket

HSC
While I'm sure there's a degree of manipulation, I think you could safely say that work ethics ceteris paribus, people who attain higher ATARs are more intelligent

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
Yep, true, I wasn't trying to discredit anyone with the calibre to achieve a ranking among the top 45-50 people in the state! It does require a lot of hard work, as well as consistent effort and definitely no slacking off! Having said that, the hard work can be minimised and focused solely towards the areas that it needs to be focused towards when the student knows how. Realistically I suppose that can only be achieved with the help and direction of others (siblings, tutors etc.) that have already done the HSC and know what is needed, and what can be cut.
you make very good points, but i've always seen the HSC more like a game of cards.
you need to know HOW to play and also you must have luck. Some people just tend to fuck up on the day despite being ranked really highly in school, and just get higher in past papers at home than the actual exam.

(I fucked up 4u and that's why im saying this)
no i'm not highly ranked but i KNOW THAT achieving .95 will require
persistence, luck, intelligence and knowledge of the system. sometimes you'll win a card of games and other times you wont.
That's honestly how I see it.

NotCricket

HSC
you make very good points, but i've always seen the HSC more like a game of cards.
you need to know HOW to play and also you must have luck. Some people just tend to fuck up on the day despite being ranked really highly in school, and just get higher in past papers at home than the actual exam.

(I fucked up 4u and that's why im saying this)
no i'm not highly ranked but i KNOW THAT achieving .95 will require
persistence, luck, intelligence and knowledge of the system. sometimes you'll win a card of games and other times you wont.
That's honestly how I see it.
what was your raw for mx2 this year?

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
tbh I understand what you mean and I agree the system is annoying in many ways, such as the methods of examination, but imo they are the way of pretty much every country in the world i.e. standard examinations. So like about the "writing Hamlet essays in hours/days etc" thing, I get what you're saying but then how will the Board of Studies (lol soz, BOSTES now) differentiate between the top students in every subject and those that aren't? In that sense, whilst the system is annoying because it doesn't measure academic ability, I wouldn't say it is 'unfair'. It rewards those who put in the work. And yes of course factors such as how you go on the day etc do come into play, but in fact I would say it is even more fair how our performance over the year is being given a 50% weightage-- and if you compare this with so many systems worldwide where everything is solely based on one set of examinations, I think its exceptionally lenient.

As for the school rank, I don't think you're "disadvantaged" per se, the system has been designed so its pretty equal for everyone. The assumption is that if your cohort is "poor-performing" for your standards, then you would personally be above it and be ranked close to top. Likewise, if your cohort is great, they understand that your personal ranks may not be great, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're a poor student-- just that a portion of your grade is better than you.

Actually, the two ideas seem to conflict in a way haha, like not being affected by your cohort would have to equate to everything being based on externals, but as you said, measuring a person's performance over three hours is not ideal.

idk lol imo its a pretty fair system which rewards people that put in the work. You have a great set of ranks, just do your best :)
aka english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)