2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
A Finance-only assessment/topic test is the toughest thing in Business Studies basically, even tougher than trials in my view.
Waot

I find finance one of the more easier topics - I got 28 / 30 and I studied 3 hours before the exam (Don't judge me please I suck at business)

That also got me wondering though

What were your marks for every internal assessment task RoT (if you don't mind me asking and if you remember)?

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Waot

I find finance one of the more easier topics - I got 28 / 30 and I studied 3 hours before the exam (Don't judge me please I suck at business)

What were your marks for every internal assessment task RoT (if you don't mind me asking and if you remember)?
29/30 (15%), 19/20 (15%), 49/50 (20%), 30/40 (20%)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Also, finance is an easy topic for me too, I just screwed up in answering questions which really stunted me

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Waot

From my perspective, finance short answers (minus calculating the ratios and interpreting the ratios you get) tend to be the toughest relative to the other topics. They tend to require some 'understanding' as well. I'd think that most students prefer operations and marketing over finance and HR.

I think my overall internal mark was 88%~ (my marks from first assessment to trials being like 26/30 10%, 19/20 20%, 53/70 30% and 95/100 40%) and I was 2nd internally,
1st assessment was Operations MC.

2nd assessment was a Marketing report.

3rd assessment was a Finance short answers test - dropped from 1st internally down to 4th.

4th assessment being trials.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
From my perspective, finance short answers (minus calculating the ratios and interpreting the ratios you get) tend to be the toughest relative to the other topics. They tend to require some 'understanding' as well. I'd think that most students prefer operations and marketing over finance and HR.

1st assessment was Operations MC.

2nd assessment was a Marketing report.

3rd assessment was a Finance short answers test - dropped from 1st internally down to 4th.

4th assessment being trials.
Damn you slayed trials :shoot:

I feel as if only one of my business units will count in the top ten but I'm going to have to try in it regardless

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I feel as if only one of my business units will count in the top ten but I'm going to have to try in it regardless
You must be very confident in Physics and Chemistry outscaling it :p

I actually thought Physics could outscale my Business at one point.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
You must be very confident in Physics and Chemistry outscaling it :p

I actually thought Physics could outscale my Business at one point.
My ranks for phys, chem and business are in the b6 range - but that doesn't guarantee that I will get it

That being said I'm confident in my abilities for physics and chemistry; my poorer results are often due to a lack of preparation :/

I will start to devote more time to business though :)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
GG, Business teacher is away and I have to stress got another night of my trial results for tomorrow TWT

matchalolz

HSC

Same here. From assessments 1-3 maths ext for me was outscaling business but after the maths ext trial I'm not so sure anymore :lol:
I've yet to do my business trial but pretty unprepared for that hehehahahah *dies*
At this rate I have no idea what's going to count.

Actual question: how much time would you business people dedicate to studying case studies for the long response (like e.g. 3hours? only after I do all content?) I have today only to study for business, I haven't finished reading through my notes and fuark it's gonna take ages. All I've done is:
- few sets of MC questions (mistakes made due to things I didn't know due to not studying OTL)
- briefly glanced over a few short answers
- Sorted out the syllabus dotpoints into: stuff I can ditch if i run out of time, stuff I need to review, stuff I'm fked for. Rn I've been slowly going through the latter two lists

Should i just fk the case study and make up stats?

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Same here. From assessments 1-3 maths ext for me was outscaling business but after the maths ext trial I'm not so sure anymore :lol:
I've yet to do my business trial but pretty unprepared for that hehehahahah *dies*

Actual question: how much time would you business people dedicate to studying case studies for the long response (like e.g. 3hours? only after I do all content?) I have today only to study for business, I haven't finished reading through my notes and fuark it's gonna take ages. All I've done is:
- few sets of MC questions (mistakes made due to things I didn't know due to not studying OTL)
- Sorted out the syllabus dotpoints into: stuff I can ditch if i run out of time, stuff I need to review, stuff I'm fked for. Rn I've been slowly going through the latter two lists

I studied two days before business trials (don't kill me RoT) and I just went through the all of the theory and made sure that I had the entire syllabus memorised. I didn't do any past papers gg no re

I made up stats and businesses (I made one called Tree Top Leaves Pty. Ltd. LOL) on the day

But if you know your theory and dotpoints it will guarantee you the marks in MC, SA and the business report. As for the essay, it honestly comes down to how well you can weave a bs case study through the theory component.

EDIT: If you're strong with finance essays then memorise some stats

But if you're as smart as my friend you will notice that more MC or SA they will post a balance sheet, income statement or revenue statement with industry averages, etc. <--- Use these stats and pull off some other bs and you should be fine

matchalolz

HSC
I studied two days before business trials (don't kill me RoT) and I just went through the all of the theory and made sure that I had the entire syllabus memorised. I didn't do any past papers gg no re

I made up stats and businesses (I made one called Tree Top Leaves Pty. Ltd. LOL) on the day

But if you know your theory and dotpoints it will guarantee you the marks in MC, SA and the business report. As for the essay, it honestly comes down to how well you can weave a bs case study through the theory component.

But if you're as smart as my friend you will notice that more MC or SA they will post a balance sheet, income statement or revenue statement with industry averages, etc. <--- Use these stats and pull off some other bs and you should be fine
Yup I have my hands on a few trial papers, basically I'm skimming through the questions and if it relates to my "im fucked for this" or "i need to revise this" list then I do it. The whole handwriting muscle memory thing works better for me. I have the operations syllabus memorised and bits and pieces of everything else.

For essays, I think as long as I know which part of the syllabus they are referring to, I can probably bs enough but if I don't recognise the words/phrases then I'm screwed.

Would you recommend staying up or nah? It's my last exam so it wont screw over anything else

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

There's seriously no right answer to your question.

I'd give priority to the 'normal' syllabus content. The first 80 marks (20 MC, 40 SA and 20 Business Report Section III) don't require you to draw upon case study material.

Plus, with Section IV, you can always make up case studies/examples/statistics if you can't recall any actual case study information.

Before you head to bed tonight and for tomorrow morning, I'd just focus solely on knowing the syllabus itself (the dotpoints themselves) to the point that you can recall any part of it at will.

So let's say you have around 12 hours to study from now til your exam.

I'd say 2 hours per topic then 2 hours on your case studies for all 4 topics will be a sufficient split. Then you may want to attempt the majority of a past paper at some point with the remaining 2 hours.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yup I have my hands on a few trial papers, basically I'm skimming through the questions and if it relates to my "im fucked for this" or "i need to revise this" list then I do it. The whole handwriting muscle memory thing works better for me. I have the operations syllabus memorised and bits and pieces of everything else.

For essays, I think as long as I know which part of the syllabus they are referring to, I can probably bs enough but if I don't recognise the words/phrases then I'm screwed.

Would you recommend staying up or nah? It's my last exam so it wont screw over anything else
Hence, the key is to know the syllabus itself inside out.

Just name dropping relevant syllabus-terms will please the marker in your extended responses.

Well, I was the person to stay up back then but make sure you have enough energy too!

I was the 'cram in 2-3 days and lack of past papers' person too.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Just name dropping relevant syllabus-terms will please the marker in your extended responses.

Well, I was the person to stay up back then but make sure you have enough energy too!

Phew

I take comfort in that

But I've put those days behind me

I'm going to prepare well before HSC comes around

Also I wanted to ask you how there was a massive difference in your eco internal and external? Did you study extremely hard from post-trials to HSC? Was it easier than your schools exams? What did you change from post-trials to HSC? Apologies for all the questions I was just really curious :hat:

matchalolz

HSC

I'm usually the sleep 8-9 hours type of person because I'm too lazy to study a lot of the time, but lately I've been pulling my shit together. I got around 6-7 hours before my eco exam and despite being tired i made it through the exam on adrenaline and i'm pretty happy with it. I'm probably going to go to bed at 12 coz I need to wake up at 7 to commute, and 1 am if desperate..

I'm only being tested on part of hr, and I've read through my notes on that luckily but still a bit unfamiliar. I'm familiar with operations, and kind of familiar with marketing and finance (spent a bit of time on this already today).

I'm keen on at least reading through the extended questions at least because last time my teacher literally got the question from the syllabus and I feel like I could hit the jackpot again

Thanks for the rough guidelines!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)