• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsoccerball

HSC
I calculated it and i barely edged out the dude who came 2nd in Physics. But on the reports it said that me and him were tied and the 2 people that were after us were tied as well. So do the BoS determine your ranks with exact marks or just in 1 percent increments?
I say its exact marks because the person coming first would be disadvantaged. Of course the report says you guys are equal first since its a whole percentage in the report right? you don't se 88.878678655 in your report do you? So in the report they just round up or down.

Ekman

HSC
I say its exact marks because the person coming first would be disadvantaged. Of course the report says you guys are equal first since its a whole percentage in the report right? you don't se 88.878678655 in your report do you? So in the report they just round up or down.
Well its not a matter of what you say, its a matter of what the board of studies says. They're the ones who are organising the HSC, not you

D94

HSC
N/A
I think they separate the marks and still send them in their exact value.
No, schools send whole values. Not exact values or ranks or fractions etc. There will be students on the same rank.

Ekman

HSC
From what I hear, 4U maths are Ruse is very competitive (apparently their cohort average is 90+), so there would undoubtedly be several people on the same whole and maybe decimal mark, so what happens there then. Apparently there is around 100 students in 4u at Ruse, and they are all competitive, so the probability of 2 people being on the same decimal mark is somewhat high.

And from what I hear, there are such things as tie ranks. Say for example, Bob and John were tie first for English. Their marks will be submitted as tie first, and BOSTES will recognise this. After sitting the HSC exam, we know that the internal part of your HSC mark comes from your rank, well for Bob John, if Bob gets 98 and John gets 97 in the HSC, then their internal part of their HSC mark will be an average between Bobs and Johns mark (assuming Bob came first and John came second in the HSC). So if there is a system for tie ranks, then what's the issue with people being tied at a certain rank?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
From what I hear, 4U maths are Ruse is very competitive (apparently their cohort average is 90+), so there would undoubtedly be several people on the same whole and maybe decimal mark, so what happens there then. Apparently there is around 100 students in 4u at Ruse, and they are all competitive, so the probability of 2 people being on the same decimal mark is somewhat high.

And from what I hear, there are such things as tie ranks. Say for example, Bob and John were tie first for English. Their marks will be submitted as tie first, and BOSTES will recognise this. After sitting the HSC exam, we know that the internal part of your HSC mark comes from your rank, well for Bob John, if Bob gets 98 and John gets 97 in the HSC, then their internal part of their HSC mark will be an average between Bobs and Johns mark (assuming Bob came first and John came second in the HSC). So if there is a system for tie ranks, then what's the issue with people being tied at a certain rank?
Why wouldn't their internals both be 98, as that's the highest external mark?

Ekman

HSC
Why wouldn't their internals both be 98, as that's the highest external mark?
No apparently its the average. That's what I initially thought, but according to sources, they take the average. Im not sure if its the average of the top 2 highest marks, or the average of the two people who are tieing, but it isn't as simple as both of them taking the highest external mark.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
No apparently its the average. That's what I initially thought, but according to sources, they take the average. Im not sure if its the average of the top 2 highest marks, or the average of the two people who are tieing, but it isn't as simple as both of them taking the highest external mark.
The internal mark needs to be a whole number in the end though, so they wouldn't just take the average. And I thought it said on the Board of Studies site that the first internal person gets the highest external mark as their internal mark.

Ekman

HSC
The internal mark needs to be a whole number in the end though, so they wouldn't just take the average. And I thought it said on the Board of Studies site that the first internal person gets the highest external mark as their internal mark.
Well they obviously would round it. So with the scenario with Bob and John, their internal marks will be 98, because the average would be 97.5. However when there are larger mark gaps, that's when it matters. I know that BOSTES said first internal person gets the highest external mark, there is no disputing that, but from what I hear from my teachers and other sources, when there is a tie, they take the average.

StudyToDeath

HSC
I asked my HSC coordinator who sends the mark and he said that no one ever gets sent with the same rank.
Same at my school, if two people are ranked the same they will Round the marks to 3 decimal places to determine the actual rank

Flop21

HSC
Same at my school, if two people are ranked the same they will Round the marks to 3 decimal places to determine the actual rank
So does that mean they change people's marks?? That sounds unfair. They should just send the marks into BOS like they're suppose to and let BOS do their thing, instead of altering them.

D94

HSC
N/A

Yes, this is correct. If there are n number of equal first places, then their internal mark (assessment mark) will the the average the n highest exam marks of the cohort.

Doesnt that disadvantage the person who is actually first when you take into account exact marks?
The system works by whole numbers. The notion that someone is "actually first" by decimals is void.

Sure, that is just school ranks put on a report. But that has zero meaning to BOSTES. BOSTES receives whole marks from your school, then they will determine the order of students based on that whole mark, not a mark to 3 d.p.

StudyToDeath

HSC
Sure, that is just school ranks put on a report. But that has zero meaning to BOSTES. BOSTES receives whole marks from your school, then they will determine the order of students based on that whole mark, not a mark to 3 d.p.

Saying this, overall I came 1st in subject by 2 marks in exam. But when converted to the exam weighting eg 20%. I came equal first overal. Am I still first? I hope that makes sense

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Protip

Don't worry about marks, moderation, scaling, alignment, estimates, cutoffs, statistics, study time calculation, mark predictions or otherwise. It's too late in the game.

If you're doing this you are just procrastinating. Not only that, but you're doing so in a stressful way that won't let you wind down.

lightthefuze

HSC
I have started working on three subjects a day, for instance:

English: Section I
CAFS: 3 extended short answer responses (7-8 markers)
Legal: Crime 15 mark essay

As well as rote learning english techniques, examples and effects (all on flashcards) and my creative every day.

How's that? Pretty weak I know

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Got my report back. I'm trying to free myself from this devestation because time's being wasted but it's hard...

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
Got my report back. I'm trying to free myself from this devestation because time's being wasted but it's hard...
Go home, eat a tub of icecream and have a cry whilst watching re runs of your favourite sitcom, and then grow a pair and start working hard tomorrow. You can't change the ranks, and while it may be disappointing, ultimately all you can do is look forward. Take the day off to recover from your setback and then start moving forward.

Flop21

HSC
Don't worry, they're only internals and I doubt they're SUPER bad. You've still got 50% of your HSC mark to be made, keep studying. We're in the home stretch and there's seriously not long to go (I nearly puked seeing how little time there is till HSC), so might as well just study your best and then once you cross the finish line - you can look back and criticise yourself and appreciate your achievements etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)